Homemade Cat Repellent For House Plants

I need to know how to make a homemade cat repellent for house plants.

Joe from Tecumseh, NE

Best Answer

What I do is use the mesh bags that onions come in and spread them on the top of the soil in your plants. The cats don't like it because the mesh gets caught in their claws.

The owner of a local feed store said to lay chicken wire down in areas frequented by the cats. The sharp wire is harse on their paws so they avoid it. Depending on the # of cats ruining your yard, it's cheaper than harsh poisons which will kill them..ie; mothballs. If you use mothballs, the rain dissolves them, the cats drink that poisoned mothball water from puddles and they die. Please be humane and try planting coleus or lavender flowers. They hate the smell and will avoid the area.

Orange peel or orange essential oil repels cats.

My mother and I have been using banana peels pieces in our flower beds outside to repel cats. I suppose if you put some in your house plant it will work also. Cats don't like the smell of bananas. We even tried it in the yard to repel skunks and we have not seen nor smelled one since. Worth a try. Banana peels usually go in the compost anyway. This way they are useful and will compost in the soil.

Plant lavender flowers or coleus ... Cats hate the smell and will avoid the area.

Make a "Cayenne Pepper Tinture". This will keep most animals off of any plants. (indoor OR outdoor):

Take cayenne pepper or hot pepper flakes & soak then in rubbing alcohol or 100 proof vodka for about a week then strain it through pantyhose or any strainer & put this liquid into a well marked spray bottle. Spray this hot-pepper liquid on to your plants & the animals will stay away because they don't like the smell. The only bad effect for them might be a sneeze!

I have not used any repellent that I leave in a plant, but with all the cats I have lived with (20+), a few squirts of water form a spray bottle set on "stream" work wonders if you can catch them in the act. It is far more effective if they don't know it's coming from you. If they think it "comes out of nowhere" when they step foot in a plant, they will soon stay away from all plants.

Cats do not like any citrus smells, so orange, lemon, grapefruit peel should all work.

It is interesting that banana peels work for the previous poster. They are also a good source of phosphorus, and are supposed to be very beneficial for roses.

Try planting lavender flowers or coleus plants, cats hate the smell and will avoid the area. Also, use mulch.cats do not like digging in the wood chips.

Hello, I got rid of the grass in my front yards and replaced with mulch because I read it would keep the cats out but it's not true, it just makes it harder to clean up after the irresponsible neighbors cats!!

I have purchased landscape stones and put them in the plants to stop to cat from digging.

This remedy isn't exactly homemade however most house holds would have this readily on hand. Pledge furniture polish or equivalent is a possible option. its large concentration of lemon oil is really unappealing to cats, of course its application would be limited to mulch areas as it could be detrimental if it got on any near by plants, just exercise caution when applying. over the course of a few days cats will begin to recognize the area as unappealing and avoid it all together, allowing you to discontinue applying it.

how to avoid cats in home