Yellow Stain From Peroxide On White Shirt

My husband just got a brand new white dress shirt. While he was getting dressed, he noticed that he got a tiny spot of blood on his collar from shaving. He didn't want to change, so I took him in the bathroom and dabbed it with peroxide, which got the blood right out. The problem is that the area that I put the peroxide on, is now yellow. I tried shout, oxiclean and even the combination of dishwashing soap, bleach, and hot water. The shirt says to only use non-chlorine bleach, but the rest of the shirt in super white, it's just the spot that I put peroxide on. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Lisa Monit

Best Answer

Here's what worked of me. I dribbled some peroxide on a favorite white cotton cami to get out perspiration stains and hung it out on the pool towel rack, thinking Florida sun would help. Well it yellowed.

I soaked it for five days in regular detergent, I used Tide and cold water, changing the water and soap every day until it came out. And it did. It's pure white now!

It's like bleach on white laminate countertops, it will come out eventually with soap and water. Patience is the key.

I'm going to try the Tide.

As will I! I tried all those things mentioned in first comment as well as Bizz machine which used sonic waves to eliminate stain! It won't hurt to try this method!

The yellow sounds like you still have blood in the material. They have some whitening agents that are sold in uniform shops (where they sell white nursing uniforms) to keep uniforms from turning yellow from bleaching, etc. I don't know the name of the stuff, but if you will call a nursing uniform shop, I am sure they will tell you what it is.

I used "Oxyclean" non-clhorine bleach stain remover (hydrogen peroxide based) to take a small stain out of a white shirt. Thought I had rinced it out and but later had yellow spots in front of the shirt. I didn't realize that the unwashed residue from the oxyclean would oxidize in the sun and turn yellow.

After doing several suggested treatments, I finally threw it in the wash and soaked it overnight with about a 1/2 c. of bleach in a small load of water. I did this the first night and it almost came out, but there was still a slight yellow spot. The second time I only set it in the bleach water for about 1 hour and then rubbed into the fabric Gain detergent and let it sit out for about 1/2 hour. Put it through the wash again and the stain is gone. A lot of time involved, but it was an expensive shirt and it had only been worn once.

Try soaking the fabric in all fabric bleach. I used Dart. It got out the peroxide stains.

I did the same thing, hydrogen peroxide and sun, groan, yellow stain. I am having luck with soaking in oxi-clean (over night) Washed then used a little beach but did not let this sit long as it will eat the fabric. Wet the shirt, made a paste with ZUD/ Bar Keepers Friend (rust remover) let sit an hour or so and washed in a bleach load. The stain has pretty much vanished I am optimistic with a repeat the stain will be gone.

I got a yellow stain after removing blood from my coverlet using hydrogen and peroxide. I first soaked it in oxiclean and then washed it in hot with bleach and detergent. After that I soaked it again in oxiclean and then tried dabbing white vinegar on the stain with a cloth and the result was instant! It saved my brand new bedding. Just dip a white rag in a bowl of white vinegar and dab it on the stain.

Excellent tip!!! The white vinegar immediately took out the yellow stains on an expensive white linen and cotton sweater I thought was ruined by applying peroxide. I'm elated! Thank you, ThriftyFun!

To remove blood stains, I've found that 100% of the time pure COLD water takes blood stains out. I've even been in a hurry and placed ice cubes on a garment with blood stains on it. Left it in the sink and the stains are gone when I got home later.

The same thing happened to me:I had a stain on a white duvet, put hydrogen peroxide on it and put it in the sun. Then everywhere the peroxide touched, even previously unstained parts, had a bright yellow stain. I am seeing lots of reports of this happening on various sites. The consensus seems to be that there is a chemical reaction that happens when hydrogen peroxide is exposed to the sun.