Christmas Charities for Children

Category Charities
In most communities there are organizations that can help you give your kids what they need for the holidays. This guide is about Christmas charities for children.

It's too late to sign up for the angel tree. Any suggestions for other legitimate charities? I've never done this before, but I'm extremely broke this season and don't want my two sons to have to go without. They are 11 and 13 years old. Any suggestions?

Answers

Hi,
I would call around to local churches and ask them if they might "adopt" your children which means the church provides them with gifts. Bless you and have a peaceful Christmas.

On January 19,2014 my husband suffered an anoxic brain injury from a medical malpractice since then I have been out of work. My husband needs a 24 hour caregiver. We now live on a fix income of $664 and can barely stay above water with our bills. I have 3 children Destiny 15, Joshua 9, and Seth 6. Life has been very hard at times. I feel so overwhelmed, but I know and believe in God and that's what gets me through our tough times.

I just recently took in my girlfriend and her 3 children, as well, because of a homeless situation. So I'm writing you today to see if there was anyway you could assist me to where I could find help for Christmas? My heart is heavy because I'm not sure how much I can provide for my children this Christmas so if there is anyway you could give me information or know where I can go please advice. God bless you.

Answers

This reply is coming late but I am glad you believe in God.
If you are still struggling Churches are more than willing to help not just for necessities and material things. Most importantly the spiritual lift you need to sustain you to keep going. God Bless you for taking on that huge load ! Seek and you Shall find. There is no shame to ask , especially because you too are doing God's work. :)

I need help with Christmas. I have 3 kids and no job and no money. Can anyone please tell me where I can find help? God bless you.

By Keisha from Rome

Answers

If you are in the US you must be getting aid for families with dependent children, WIC, and food stamps. With the WIC and food stamps, you should be able to squeeze enough out of the cash you receive to buy a small gift for each kid. However, if you are in Italy I don't know what you receive. I am sure most of the charities in the US have already used what resources they have to help needy families, because it is getting kind of late.

Oh yes, and what about child support from the kid's father?

Salvation Army helps needy folk year round. If you can get someone to give you a ride take your kids and go to these places in person. I agree with another post about emailing. It's better to apply in person. There are food pantries and sometimes they help with other needs. I hope you find something soon.

Hello,
Merry Christmas, there are some charities like the salvation army, but sometimes that doesn't always work,what my family does is adopt a family that needs and we buy the presents for the family, not a lot ,but some presents. So I don't know you so I can't sponsor your family, but I do know that If you set something up with your school and someone could adopt your family, without your kids knowing. I hope that was helpful

Anonymous

Your local Catholic Family Services! If you mean Rome, Italy check out this link for referrals for help: http://www.cath … caritas-italiana

I became disabled the April before last and called them to see if there were any volunteers in my area to help me clean my apartment. Not only have I a wonderful volunteer that comes and helps me clean since then, but also last Christmas I received a phone call from another volunteer asking what I could use and really wanted for Christmas. I told them a pair of slippers and a new toy for my Rachel kitty. They showed up about three days before Christmas with three boxes of food, the slippers, a winter hat, a fleece throw blanket, a handmade shawl, extra toys and treats and food for Rachel and more! I was weeping like a baby! They are a wonderful organization and the volunteer who helps me clean is now also a friend!

I'm out of work. I was let go after 9 years of work. I am looking for help for my kids for Christmas. Any suggestions?

By Crystal

Answers

Call 211, it is a national HELPLINE organization, that keeps lists of organizations in a given area, that provide different types of help for people. Also call the Salvation Army, sometimes they do Christmas help, but it is getting kind of late to be applying for this type of help.

No matter where you ask for help, other than your church, you will have to fill out an application and it will ask for your gross income. Speak to your pastor, sometimes a pastor will have a special offering taken in church to help a needy family. How long have you been out of work? More than likely you could get a temp. job flipping burgers or something.

Also explain to your kids that there won't be much for Christmas this year. No kid needs more than one gift from the parents, and it doesn't have to be an expensive one. At this time $5.00 per gift is plenty. Your kids must have grandparents and aunts and uncles that will be sending gifts.

It also is a good idea to plan ahead. I start my shopping in January and have been done for at least a month. By doing that I get to avoid the monstrous crowds, and can space the shopping out.

Check with Kmart, Walmart as they have trees set aside for these things. Also check Salvation Army they provide presents and food baskets for holiday meals. Check with social services as they also may have a list, local churches as well. Good luck and will keep you in prayer!

It doesn't say where your from so I'm just going to go off the top off my head. As I've been there before with my children as they were young. They do expect Christmas (be it from you or else were)! Not sure of the ages either, but I would start with your Salvation Army nearest you, then your Toys 4 tots you can google that. Then I would even call your police station & ask them they might be doing something as they did where my daughter lives last year.

Then I would also call your elementary school they may be doing something as well. A few years ago I even found my 1 daughter in a very bad place & put an ad on craigs list under volunteer & asked for help & 2 people really came through for her. I live two far away & on a very limited budget & couldn't do much myself, But she really did get all she needed!

Please reach out their there really are some great unselfish great hearted loving out there you just really have too watch the info you give out about yourself& your# as well as your last name & address meet whom ever in a public place NEVER GIVE any personal information to anyone unless it is an organization that you are at! You can never be too safe!

Hope this help in some small kinda way & I will be praying for a job, and your family's Christmas as well. Not sure how this might help but there is a website called wish upon a hero you can try as well for a job financial & Christmas as well. Sorry just thought of it! May God bless you & your family in all your going through.

Call 211, that is a nationwide help number. Whoever answers will get you in the right direction for help.

I am searching for children's X-mas giveaways for a single, pregnant mom with two children. She has extensive medical issues and is not able to work and lives with her mom who lives in Section 8 housing. The household is really struggling, I don't want the children to go without X-mas. The father is incarcerated.

By Diana

Answers

Contact your local police department and see if they have the Blue Santa program. They go to poor families and distribute toys to needy children the day before Christmas. It's such a wonderful program and I pray you have one in your area.
God Bless.

Call 211, it is a nationwide Helpline that keeps a list of organizations, that help people with different problems. I am sure they must have a social worker, that person should be able to help with ideas. If they are living in section 8 housing that means they are only paying 30% of their total income for rent, and if it is an apartment, most places you only have to pay the electricity, phone, cable and internet service. I would imagine they are also on food stamps. Who is paying the mother's maternity expenses?

Most of the charities that do Christmas help have a cut off age of 12 years for kids gifts. Heavens you and 3-4 of your friends could do it yourself. Go together and buy one gift for each of the two kids, at a limit of $10.00-$15.00 each. It wouldn't be that much for a few people to contribute. And all each kid really needs is one gift. Then you could wrap them and on Christmas Eve, set them by the door and knock and hurry away, if you don't want to be seen. Also aren't there aunts and uncles that will be sending gifts? When my kids were small we weren't exceptionally hard up, but they each only got one item of clothing and maybe one toys from us, because we knew each set of grandparents and aunts and uncles would be sending them stuff too. All together each kid got from 10-12 gifts, which is actually more than enough, if not too much, for any one kid.

Toys for Tots. Salvation Army. Local churches. Most every town has some sort of Santa - toy giveaway program. Call the local newspaper and ask what it is called and how to contact them.

I'm desperately trying to find gifts of any style, shape, or form, for 2 boys ages 17 and 13. If anything, I want them to have something to open on Christmas day! Where can I find help?

By Amber

I need help with clothing for my daughter and Christmas. Please I'm a mother that's trying. Where can I look for help?

By Anthony

How can I receive second hand clothes and shoes for all ages? I would like to share with our church members that are less privileged for this Xmas season. I would appreciate it if anyone can help in Zimbabwe.

By Amina from Harare

Answers

Anonymous

You can ask united states churches. There are a lot of christian and baptist churches in tn that would probably love to help one that comes to mind is "hope community church in Surgoinsville, TN. Good luck and may God Bless you.

Anonymous

You can ask United States churches. There are a lot of christian and baptist churches in tn that would probably love to help one that comes to mind is "hope community church in Surgoinsville, TN. Good luck and may God Bless you.

Anonymous

You can ask United States churches. There are a lot of christian and baptist churches in TN that would probably love to help. One that comes to mind is "Hope Community Church in Surgoinsville, TN. Good luck and may God Bless you.

My sister is 21 has two kids and needs help for Christmas. Where can I go to get help for Christmas?

I just lost my job two weeks before Christmas. I don't know how I'm going to pay my rent. I've been crying. I am so depressed I can't get her my 10 year old nothing. I've prayed to God and this is where he guided me when I asked him for answers.

By Edie jones from chicago Il

Please, let me know where and who to ask.

By C

My house has been robbed and now I have no money for my kids' Christmas. Their father isn't around. Does anyone know who can help me? I don't know how to explain it to my girls on Christmas

By Shawnita from Washington, DC

Answers

Did you report the robbery to the police? If you owned the house you should have had home owners insurance and I would think you could collect something on that, providing you have proof of the robbery. If it was a rented house, your renter's insurance should do the same thing. Most of the well known charities that are nationwide have a cut off date of mid-November for taking applications. This is done for budgeting purposes. Also most of them have age cut off limits of 12-13 years. Talk to your social worker with the Department of Social Services if you have one. That person might know of some sources. Also speak to your pastor, sometimes they will take up an anonymous collection to help a needy family in the congregation.

Do you have a court ordered child support order, if so their Dad should be paying regular child support, and if he isn't you could get him in trouble.

I am looking for help for my one child. He is five years old this year. I moved up here because my son's great grandma was every sick. She died this September 23rd.

We been jumping house to house since we have been here. I do not have a job. I have been looking but, not having the luck of getting one. My son's birthday was November 22nd, on Thanksgiving, but it was not so giving for him. So he did not get a birthday this year and I am hoping I do not have to tell him Santa is not coming too. I know it going to break his heart to tell him. So I am asking for places where I can get help this year. Thank you.

By sherryann

Answers

Hon, sorry to hear that! Go to Salvation Army - they will give you some toys, clothes, etc. It's not going to be brand new, but they'll help you out. Social Services will give you Food Stamps and temp assistance for housing. Check local Catholic Charities - they help not only Catholics, go to various churches and local Food Bank! I hope all will be well for you!

The charities that I am aware of have a cut off date for applications of right around Thanksgiving time. If you go to church speak to your pastor, sometimes they will take up a special anonymous offering for a member of the congregation. Aren't there any grandparents, aunts, and uncles that would be sending gifts? Also you could pick out one or two of his favorite toys and hide them, then after he is in bed, figure out some way to refurbish them.

My elderly aunt was recently telling me about when she was a child, her favorite doll disappeared, nobody in the family could tell her where it was. Her mother had hid it and while my aunt was at school and in bed, my grandma got busy and made a new wardrobe for the doll and also finished a cardboard box to look like a suitcase.

When the family got home from Christmas eve services, the doll was sitting on top of the piano with the suitcase and a little note saying she had just got back from a shopping trip in New York. My aunt is 86 and still remembers that as her most memorable Christmas.

You must have some cash, to be paying for going from house to house, you should be able to squeeze a little out to go to a thrift store and buy some little toy, sometimes a person can get some nearly new things really cheap. Also if you have a pretty towel in good condition make some kind of a stuffed animal out of it. I did that one year when we were really hard up. I took an old extra bed pillow apart to use the stuffing.

I am a disabled single father with a low income of less then $405.00 a month, not leaving me with anything for Christmas for an 8 year old girl. Where can I get some help for Christmas? Thanks.

By Earl F.

Answers

Try your church. If you don't have one give her one for Christmas.

I'm so sorry to hear that! :( Sir I know I may only be 15 I work in a lot of charities, and I know with the economy today its hard to buy a lot of things especially with that income.

Listen my advice for you is, a lot of the people I help out have put a certain budget away for their Christmas shopping, then they go out and find the best sales out there, they keep within whatever their budget is, and their kids are happy. You also got to teach your daughter that its not all about getting gifts. Christmas is about giving, sharing, etc. I hope you do well this Christmas. Merry Christmas!

I am a single mother of 2; where do I have to go to get help with Christmas presents for my children?

By Samantha

Answers

Being a single mother doesn't necessarily qualify you for Christmas help. All of the places that I know of require people to fill out an application and want to know your income. Most of these places also have an age cut off limit of 12 years.

Number 1, the kids Dad should be giving them each a gift, plus there should be two sets of grandparents and some aunts and uncles. Most places that provide help for Christmas have already passed the deadline for taking applications.

Number 2, Speak to the pastor of your church. Sometimes they will take a special offering for a needy member of their congregation. However, they won't keep doing it for the same family over and over.

Number 3, plan ahead, start shopping in January. There have been several times over the years that I would have needed Christmas help, if I hadn't planned ahead. I start shopping in January and have been done for more than a month, and have everything wrapped and under the tree.

Number 4, no kid needs more than one gift each from their parents and they definitely don't need what they see on TV and they don't need designer labels. The name of the game is plan ahead.

My name is Rachel. I have a very special little girl name Stephanie. She is in first grade and is 6 years old. I dont get very much money. All I get is going to my rent so that we have a place to live. It's been hard for me prior to this we were homeless. Her father left me for another woman. If it's possible for any one out there to help me out for Christmas, I reqlly would be thankful. Thanks so much.

I need help with Christmas for my daughter who is 14. I have been everywhere and called places and can't find help because there is an age limit or it's too late to find sign up. It is not like I planed this to happen. Please does anyone know where I can find help?

Does anyone know where I can find an organization to help me with my daughter's Christmas? Please no rude comments, I am in a bind and any information would be appreciated.

I have five children that will not have a Christmas this year. We were homeless for three months and we just moved in about a month ago, but I have to pay bills and make sure they have food. I want them to, but I don't make enough to provide the things they want and need. Does anyone know of places that help with Christmas?

I am a working mom that just lost my job. I need help with Christmas gift for my kids. Can some one please tell me where I can go to get some help? Thanks and may God bless you all.

My family and I are staying in a hotel. I have 3 kids. I don't get paid too much, not even enough to pay for the hotel weekly. Does anyone now where I csn get help for Chistmas?

By Jenny

I have 4 children (2 girls and 2 boys) and I have no job or any help. Where can I get Christmas help for my kids ages 14, 9, 10, 8?

By sj

I need help with making a good Christmas for 2 beautiful blue eyed girls:) I'm late for a lot of places that help and I'm praying I can still find someone who can help me get gifts for my amazing family in our time of need. Any suggestions?

By Kristin

I am a grandparent with very little income. I have 2 grandkids, boys 4 and 7. is there any place that helps grandparents get gifts? It breaks my heart not to be able to get them anything.

By Debi

By Amber

I have three kids. I just moved here from Florida and am staying with my mother. I don't have any income at all. I lost everything in Florida. Christmas is here and my babies don't have anything for Christmas, not even a Christmas dinner. I just want to know if there is any place I can still get help for my kids. My son is 7 and my two daughters are 12 an 16.

By l Williams

I am a mother of three beautiful, wonderful children two boys ages 14 and 9 and a little girl age 11. Three children which I would do anything for so I'm hoping someone can understand the worry and hurt I'm going through. I lost my job last month over a lie which I'm currently trying to go through appeals process. I thought it would be finished and I would have won the appeal by now, but it hasn't. Leaving me scared and worried, wanting to know what to do. There are only 6 days left until Christmas and my question is how can I get help for Christmas gifts? The oldest boy needs winter clothes and both boys shoes are falling apart. Please I've never been in this position, what should I do? Where can I get help?

By Haley from Kingsland, GA

Answers

The charities that provide Christmas help have a cut off date of mid-November for taking applications. This is done for budgeting purposes. Most of them also have age cut off limits of 12-13 years, this is because older kids are expected to understand the situation.

As far as clothes/shoes for the kids go, go to your the office of your local Salvation Army(there might not be one right in your town, but in the nearest large town) and ask for a voucher for clothes for the kids, and then take it to their thrift store, and you will get to pick the number of free outfits specified for each kid. But be specific about the number of kids that need clothes.

If you have a social worker through the Department of Social Services Office (food stamps, etc.), that person might know of some help for you.

Also speak to your pastor, sometimes they will take up a special anonymous offering for a needy member of the congregation. Do this right away, because this coming Sunday is the last Sunday before Christmas. Also mention your problems to a really good friend and to your parents and siblings.

I am a forty one year old woman with two kids, a boy who is 15 and a daughter who's 9. I am having a very hard time getting them something for Christmas. I try to find work, but no one wants to hire a person with health problems and I have a herniated, slipped disk to the right and a pinched nerve down my right side. All I want is to see my kids smile once for Christmas. I really would like it if I can get any help with them because I have nothing to give them for Christmas. Does anybody know where I can get help?

By Dianne from Chicago, IL

How can I go about getting help for my friend? She has not been able to buy Christmas for her three children yet. She's 23, has three kids (6, 3, and 1). Her fiancé has lost his job, her kids' father does not help her at all (he's an ex so I know he doesn't). She was working two jobs to provide Christmas for them, but one job let her go and the other job is third shift and she works as much as she can, sleeps about 30 minutes then gets up to get her oldest to school. I just really want to help her. She shouldn't have to struggle on this holiday.

By Lauren E.

Answers

With Christmas only being 11 days away, not sure if there are any charities that can help. Human services, toys for tots, salvation army are a few places and some local church's. Since she has a school aged child, the school she attends can help sometimes. Then again you usually have to put the childs name on a list a few months ahead of time and it is on a first come, first serve basics. I hope you can find some where to get gifts for her children. Good luck.

I am a single mother of three, ages 3 months (girl), 6 years (girl) and a 7 year (boy). I just lost my job and am in need of Christmas help. Does anyone know where I can get help? Thanks in advance.

By Amy

Answers

Most of the well known charities that are nation wide have cut off dates for applications of mid-November, this is for budgeting purposes. Talk to your social worker, with the Department of Social Services (I am assuming you have one). Also don't your kids have grandparents and aunts and uncles that give them gifts? Speak to you pastor, sometimes they will take up anonymous offerings to help a needy member of the congregation. The baby won't know if she gets anything or not. The other kids are young enough that they will be satisfied with a coloring book and a box of crayons, these can be wrapped separately and make two gifts for each one.

There were times when my girls were little they would get a new dress for the Sunday School program and after they went to bed at night the dress would get wrapped and put under the tree - that was their present.

I am a 34 year old single mom of 2 daughters ages 11 and 9 and a son that is 3. I am an online student for Medical Assisting and I do not work because I live with and care for my 53 year old disabled mom. My mother lives and pays her rent from her small Social Security check. I am very much struggling to help my kids have a decent Christmas. My mother is terminal and has lymphedema and cellulitus of the legs.

I was wondering if you knew of anyone sponsoring a family for Christmas or where I could get some Christmas help? Anything would be appreciated, thanks and God bless.

By Cindy

Answers

Have you tried The Salvation Army or any of the stores that decorate their displays with Christmas Angels (people's names on an angel hanging from tree)? Any church that has food drives at Christmas time and may be able to pass out a toy to a child. Time to call and contact places to see what can be done before it's too late.

I have a 17 year old daughter who was placed in my emergency custody this last July after her father abused her. I moved and relocated and have given her a home and parent (myself), and have found a part time job. But, I have absolutely no money for Christmas this year. Are there any charities that can help me with a gift for her Christmas? Any help I receive will be greatly appreciated.

By Jennifer D.

Answers

The charities that I know of have a cut off date of just before Thanksgiving, and also a cut off age of 12 years. If you attend a church fairly often, speak to your pastor. A lot of times a pastor will take a special, anonymous offering for a needy member of the congregation. She wouldn't need to have an expensive gift, thrift stores have a good selection of gently used and sometimes new items with the tags still on them, for a reasonable price. WalMart has decent t-shirts and CDs for no more than $10.00. She doesn't need designer items and she doesn't need high end electronics. Also does she have grandparents and aunts and uncles that will be sending her gifts. Another thought is that some dollar stores have a fair selection of make up, body wash and body lotion. You should be able to squeeze a little out of your budget.

I need help getting my children Christmas presents.

By Misti

Answers

I have a hunch you are quite late to apply. Most of the charities have a cut off date of around Thanksgiving time. However, no kid needs to get more than one gift. You should be able to find some things at some of the dollar stores. Thrift stores also have lots of gently used items and some of them are even completely new.

Kids also don't need designer labels or electronic things. For small kids you can even get by with a color book and crayons, there again the crayons don't have to be a major brand. At discount stores you can get decent t-shirts for all ages for less than $10.00 each.

Another idea for other years is to start shopping right after Christmas. Set a price limit and don't go over it, if you find an item that will work for a sale price, get it and count it at the price limit. I buy one item a month and have been done with my shopping for at least four months. Everything is wrapped and under the tree, with a couple packages ready to be shipped.

I live off $700 a month retirement social security and spend $40.00 a month on each of my two daughters and $20.00 each on my four grandchildren. Then I also buy for my two sisters, and an elderly aunt and a cousin. If I find a $40.00 item on sale for $30.00 I get it and it is counted at $40.00.

Also don't your kids get gifts from grandparents, aunts and uncles. There must be some relatives that will be sending gifts. Another thought would be to speak with your pastor, if you attend church on a fairly regular basis, sometimes a pastor will take up a special, confidential offering for a needy family in the congregation.

Load More