Home Remedies For Bursitis

Does anyone have a home remedy for bursitis in hip joint?

Linda from Arroyo Grande, CA

You might find this weird as I did when I first heard it until I tried and it worked like magic. It is W-40. Yes the stuff that you use to loosen bolts with. Just spray it on. My pain goes away in a matter of minutes when I use it. I got this tip off the internet. A lady used it for her arthritis. Worked wonders for her as it did for me. Hope it does for you too.~Janette~

I use W-40 and it works miracles. Hope this helps. ~Janette~

I messed up my other post. I ment to say I use WD-40. It works great on the pain. Dont know why but it does. ~Janette~

I get this, and the only thing I know to tell you is to rest, take an anti-inflammatory medication such as aleve, and put an ice pack on the area.

I don't know if you have the same thing, but I get this because I have "snapping hip syndrome", where the IT band is too tight, and it rubs against the bony area of the hip, causing the bursitis. I have been able to greatly cut back on bursitis flare-ups by doing hip stretches daily, when I'm not having pain.

Get some ''SORE NO MORE" at the local health food store. I've used it for years on aching necks and back. Best I've ever used.

I get it a lot in my shoulder blades...so I'm watching this post to see what kind of replies you get! ;) I would be really interested to know about the WD-40 though? God Bless, Sheila in Cocoa, FL

I am a woman who was injured when she was 20. By the time I was 42, I had what my doc said was basically bursis in the knee that had a small hole in it, and eventually it dried up. That caused the drawing up of the bands of tendons in the tibia bone (thigh) down to the knee and up to the illiach crest (hip), and from the knee down to the heel. It causes a tightening of both knee and hip joints.

I am in constant pain. I take two generic aleve am/pm. I also wear good shoes that decrease the shock to the heel when you step (nurses shoes with neoprene soles are great, but heel inserts work, too) If you have to stand for job or washing dishes, cooking, etc., then get a neoprene mat. A body pillow that lets you keep your hip and knee elevated when you sleep will make a world of difference.

Keep a zip lock baggie with buckwheat or brown rice in the freezer. This is the best ice pack you can make, and also works for migraines and toothaches. And finally, consult the photo I am sending. It's a foot reflex chart that can help you realize that almost everything in the body results in nerve endings in the feet. "Take care of your foundation and the house will stand" is something my dad always said. Good luck everyone.

PS: I am currently packing an extra 60 lbs on my poor old knees. I recently found that for every 1 lb we are over weight, it puts 4 lbs pressure on our knees. You do the math.

This tip was given to me by an orthopedic doctor 10 years ago.

For my back and hip pain, the best advice I have ever received was to massage my back and hip with a cone of ice for about 5 minutes up to 3 times a day. To do this, I stand in the tub as the ice is melting and dripping. It feels great especially after a hot soaking bath and really speeds the healing. To make sure I have ice cones when needed, I keep 4 cups of ice in my freezer all the time.

To make the cone of ice, freeze water in 9 oz Dixie cold cups (paper cups). Using a small case cutter, cut a circle around the cup about an inch from the bottom. Next slice the cup to the top and peel it from the ice. While massaging, if the ice becomes loose in the cup before you are done, take it out and place a piece of tissue in the cup for a wedge and it should hold it until you are finished.