Health and FitnessProduct Reviews

Reviews of TV Ears Product

I am interested in buying the TV Ears product for Christmas for a family member who has hearing loss but will not wear hearing aids. I think this product is a little bit expensive, but if it works well I will buy it for a gift anyway. I have seen it for sale at Radio Shack and at www.tvears.com/, and I would like to know what the ThriftyFun readers out there who have purchased this product have to say about it. Thank you in advance for your reviews!

truerblue in PA

My father who is 95 years old has the TV Ears. He loves it. I have tried his and they are great. Mom bought his at Radio Shack and the next week they were $30 off. Costco sells them cheaper, too.

I have used mine for about a year and find them EXTREMELY helpful. I even bought one for my 90 year old mother and she also likes them. I have heard that some folks have had problems with them but mine (and mothers) have worked flawlessly.

If you are real lucky,you can buy one at a garage sale for $5 like I did.It was only used a few months and the lady just wanted to get rid of it.Never happen again

Some time ago, my Dh had something like VERY large tightly fitting headphones for hearing the tv better and he said they made his ears drums feel odd after a while (these were not TV Ears and I don't recall the brand).
So I purchased a speaker that you might run from your stereo to the patio. It came with a remote which we easily hooked up to the tv. Purchased at Radio Shack for $100. approx. several years ago. He's happy and been using it ever since.
The little remote is plugged into the tv and the electric outlet and the speaker is plugged into the electricity by the sofa. No problems with batteries running out. If a person were to be very deaf in both ears, this might not work. Being able to place the speaker just a couple of feet away seems to do the trick for him. If you go this route, save the receipt if it doesn't work. We keep the unplugged speaker on a side table when not in use to keep it away from the inquisitive dog! When I purchased it at Radio Shack, I asked the clerk what he might recommend. This speaker was his recommendation. I asked him to set the whole thing up so that all I had to do was plug it in, not assemble when I got home. The speakerbrand name is Accurian if that helps.

BUY THEM! I got them for my husband a few years ago and it was the best investment I ever made. The joke on the box is "They saved our marriage" and I could believe it could really be true for some people. In the bedroom at night he had wireless headphones. After using TV Ears, he so much preferred them for comfort that we got a second set for the bedroom. In the living room we can have the television to whatever level I find comfortable, even all the way down if I am reading, and in the bedroom the TV is muted and can only be heard through the ears - when they are plugged in. You won't regret it.

I *love* our TV Ears! One word of advice, though. Don't set the base unit (or transmitter or whatever it's called) on top of any speaker. We did have a base unit die after a short time and found out it was because it was sitting on top of a speaker. (They should warn against that in the manual but oh well.) Other than that though, it's a great product!

I bought some for my dad and he just loved them! His deafness was caused by working on jet engines and was only certain frequencies. He loved it that he could adjust the tone for each ear - volume, too. He was especially impressed with the clarity of the sound - something he'd really missed. I think he probably liked those better than any other gift I ever gave him - and I loved it that I could set our tv to a lower volume or even mute it (and saved my sanity).

I have also used them at night for watching tv in our bedroom while my husband slept. I found that the ear buds hurt my ears after a while - but they've probably improved these since I bought mine in 2000.

I already told you how great these were. But it just occurred to me to mention that there are a lot of knock-offs out there that are not as good. Their output is not as strong or clear. They cost $50 less, but are not nearly as good as the real TV Ears.

These work just fine with one exception...

I had a problem with my Internet connection which also provides our phone service thru ITP Viop.com

There was a serious problem with my Internet connection and my phone became all but worthless. Both my Internet provider and ITP worked for around a month trying to resolve why my phone would keep breaking up, usually to the point where it was impossible to understand the person talking. Eventually the connection would just end by itself.

I finally realized after the Internet field support technician asked if I had any wireless phones that operated in the 90 megahertz range as he said that would interfere with my Internet connection, which is wireless. About the same time a month ago when the TV Ears arrived the Internet service and, thus, the phone service got real bad real fast. I disconnected the TV Ears and the Internet and phone problem went away.

Keep in mind that I receive Internet via wireless from a tower about a mile from my home.

Other than this I love the TV Ears as I can finally hear what is being said on the TV. They are uncomfortable and make my inner ear sore. However, my ears get over it and I find it an acceptable trade-off.

Steven

I am on my third set of TV Ears and they do work....but ......the head sets are very fragile or to put it more direct, they are made cheap. I have a total of 8 head sets and they all have broken arms. The plastic used in making these fractures very easily and then they want you to replace them with a new set, they do not make any fix available. The head sets tend to be very clumsy to handle and fracture if they fall from a night stand. If I were to ever buy another pair ( which I will not) I would reinforce both arms on the head sets before ever using them. I might add the last pair purchased had the battery go bad in six months and of course when I called the company, they indicated they would be glad to sell me a new battery, they would not stand behind their product. Hope this helps................