Hiding Valuables

Any ideas on where I can hide jewelry so it would be difficult for a thief to find, but still convenient for me to get to on a daily basis? I used to keep things in my bathroom medicine cabinet in empty makeup and face cream containers, but when we had a break-in, those items were taken.

By CD

Either the theif knew you kept your jewelry there or they were looking for drugs. I don't know how many people live in your house but the bathroom is a bad place to put anything you don't want taken. Some peole snoop and take things. I can tell you where NOT to keep it, in places where other people look. The refrigerator or freezer is out. The medicine cabinet is out. If your jewelry is valuable and you can't trust your family members just put it in a safety deposit box because they are gonna' get it if they know you have it.

Anonymous

Hollow out an uninteresting hardcover book and place it randomly on a bookshelf or other inconspicuous place like under another book on your nightstand.

http://www.ehow  hollow-book.html

I like food containers. No one is going to steal pringles or soup cans. Here is another cool idea for you to make out of things you have in your house.

http://www.goog  amp;q=fake+safes

I have put things in the bottom of my hamper. Nobody wants to rifle through dirty clothes.

Or put an empty paint can on a shelf and use that.

It's become so popular to hide things in containers like food cans & fake books(you can even buy them now), that's one of the 1st places thieves look now, just like those fake rock to hide your keys that are so popular now. They also go through bottles in your medicine cabinet & on the sink because a lot of women hide things there (& in the freezer).

I've hidden things in the laundry hamper also, put regular dirty stuff on it, then topped it off with my teenage boys dirty socks & underwear!LOL!

I've seen it suggested (if you're really serious) to cut a hole in your wall & install an unwired outlet plate, air vent, etc., over it. Put a narrow ledge over the inside of the door in your closet(people don't normally look up & back when going through your closet).

Try to think of places in your home that you don't think are common places to hide things. I have some hidey-holes around my house that I know would never be found & even have favorite places in hotel rooms to stash things & I'm pretty positive they wouldn't be found. But I'm not going to publicly announce it ;D

Just remember though, if you stash stuff & something happens to you, your family needs to know where to look. And God forbid you move away & remember too late that you hid something & forgot to retrieve it!

What Lyonpridej posted reminded me of something. My grandmother, God rest her soul, died quite suddenly. Afterwards my mom was going through her things and only by chance happened to find some heirloom jewellery that Grandma had taped to the underside of her dresser drawer! The dresser was due to be given to Goodwill and if Mom hadn't found it they would have been lost forever. If you do hide valuables around the house make sure someone knows where you keep them, for you just never know.

I bought a safe some years ago and keep things in there. I know where they are, and if we should ever have a fire or a flood they're protected too.

I would put it in a safe, take it with me, or leave it with someone you trust.