AdviceGifts

Giving Gift Cards

When giving a gift certificate to a loved one living away from you, make sure the recipient will be able to use it in their area. Don't assume that the place of business is in their area, just because there is one or several of these businesses in your area. Not all businesses are in every state, check which states they're in. (I got my Dad a Memphis BBQ gift certificate, never dreaming this business wasn't a chain restaurant, fortunately, Dad brought his gift certificate with them, when they visited with us & was able to use it here, as he wasn't able to where he and Mom live.)

By Terri

That's a great idea but don't start too early. Some gift cards expire in a year & you don't want the dates to run out before the person can use it. They won't know it wasn't just purchased in the month of December.

Watch for expiration dates and any monthly service fee, especially since you want to purchase them throughout the year for Christmas gifts.

Some gift cards have expiration dates. Be sure to check the rules carefully before you buy. You wouldn't want to wast your hard saved money!

I would rather receive a gift card than a store bought gift. They usually have no expiration date, and this way I can use it at my leisure/convenience, and take advantage of sales. This also saves time for the person who would have to shop for a gift. Many supermarkets, video stores, and restaurants also sell gift cards which would be so welcomed by me.

Hi Sharon,

Those gift cards are great!

Our church sells the gift cards through escrip. They are no more expensive than getting them at the stores, but saves gas, running around time AND gives money to the church.

I've been buying gift cards for my neices and nephew for gift giving occasions for the past 3-4 years now. My taste in clothes or colognes are not theirs, so it's better for them to purchase them, themselves. Rather than me picking them out and them not liking it, then it's my money wasted.

At a recent baby shower, I realized that GIFT CARDS though they seem impersonal are really appreciated by the recipient. Young Mothers have a very different taste in clothes than we older women do, and this lets them do their own choosing. Actually, I've decided that that's what I'm doing for Christmas this year. When I have extra to spend I'm picking up gift cards. By December most of my gifts will be paid for.

By Sharon,Ky

When you get or give a gift card, write the amount on it (if need be) and the expiration date in permanent marker.
Someone gave my sil a $75 gift card and by the time she remembered it, the card was in the low twenties.