Giving Money as a Wedding Gift

Category Gifts
bride holding money
Giving money as a wedding gift is generally acceptable in many cultures. This is a guide about giving money as a wedding gift.

My daughter is getting married in June and I just returned over $100 worth of items that she got as double presents. Considering that, I recommend giving gift cards or money to the bride and groom. It saves time for them and also they can get whatever they need.

By Robin

I haven't been to a wedding in several years. Does anyone know what amount that most people give as a monetary gift?

Answers

Depends on how well you know the couple and how elaborate the wedding is.....i think 50-100 is about the norm these days....maybe a bit less for a more informal reception.

For graduations and weddings, I always try to give $30 to $50 depending on how well I know the person or how much money I have on hand. If money was tight, I would give less. Something about a $30 or more equals a substantial gift in my mind and graduations and weddings are special cases. Just include a card with a nice handwritten message, any amount should be appreciated. The card could be around a lot longer than the money. :-)

I am going with a standard of $50.00 right now. We're not in a position to offer any more than that, right now, since we're trying to pay off our credit cards. I do, however, usually purchase an American Express gift check, rather than give cash - somehow it just looks better, and it can be used anywhere. If I have to give cash, I usually get a $50 bill. I just don't like the look of a personal check.

i dont think its the amount that counts, rather how you give it. ive been living in germany for about 15 years now, and germans are really good at making attractive money gifts. one of my favorite ways is to take a wooden chest and fill it with bird sand, tons of quarters and mix them all in, provide a shovel or two (or cat box shovels?) and let them search for their treasure. or if you get several people together fill up a wheelbarrow full of sand and coins!!

I am probably not a good one to give advice on this topic as I usually like to purchase a gift. I am not cheap but if you can't or don't want to give very much cash, then atleast the recipient doesn't know what you spent with a gift. Also you might find a very nice item on sale. We received a wedding invitation for a wedding that is very far from here so of course we are not attending. We know the groom's parents but do not know the happy couple. I felt as tho receiving this invitation with them knowing we could not attend the wedding was just asking for a gift. I intend to send a small store bought or handmade gift and that's it. I don't think there is any "rule" about what you give or how much you spend. I have thought of some very thoughtful gift ideas that I can send this couple....for example, I thought to do something nice with the wedding invitation, and send the bride some of my favorite recipes.

I would say $50 to $100 depending on how close you are to the couple.

These days you give what each dinner costs per person, ie, $55 a plate, than add some on to that. It also depends on how close you are to the couple getting married. For a couple at $55 a plate you should give $110 to cover the meals and then at least $50 as a gift. I know it sounds like a lot but it's just once. Hopefully. So you give a total of at least $165.

I've read the general rule of thumb is the amount the couple spent on you and your date (i.e. give $100 if the reception is a $50/plate deal)

if the wedding is out of town and you/re not attending how soon should you send a card and monetary gift?

Hi, I would like some ideas of making a "money gift" look stylish and special, any ideas please?

At least $100. I think if you are giving less it shows you don't know how much things really cost these days! Give at least $100. If you are a couple, then I would give $200.+

How do you make out the check that you are giving as a wedding present the day of the wedding? I am a friend of the bride. Do you make it out to Mr. and Mrs. or what?

Editor's Note: I would make it out to John or Mary Smith (whatever their names are), that way the husband can cash it if the wife hasn't changed her name yet.

Our daughter's wedding is coming up in 2 weeks. We gave her and her fiance a substantial amount of money to use however they chose on the wedding and reception. We are now considering whether we "should" also give another substantial cash wedding gift, or simply a less expensive, but meaningful gift of some sort. Any suggestions/experiences anyone can share? Also, any ideas about meaningful gifts from parents to the bride and groom that are not too costly?

By Lynne