Removing Bike Tire Rubber Marks on a Car

Category Auto
If your bike tire has rubbed against the exterior of your vehicle, it may leave black marks on the paint. Removing bike tire rubber marks on a car can be a tough chore but isopropyl alcohol is often good place to start.

My husband got hit on the interstate by a piece of tire in the road. It left tire marks on the hood and fender of my car. How do I get it off without ruining the finish of the car?

By Linda Shaffer from Norfolk, VA

Answers

Best Answer

Today's cars have a clear urethane coating over the paint to make the finish more durable. If the tire did not abrade the clear finish you may be able to fix it your self.

First, I would wash the area to see if that removes any of the tire marks. If not, I would purchase a can of adhesive cleaner or tar remover at the auto parts store and rub that on the tire marks. The cleaner will not harm the finish.

If the tire marks are still there then the area should be compounded. You can do that yourself or an auto detailer can do the job. Every car dealer should have a detailer on staff or you can find one in the yellow pages.

Best Answer

Take a soft cloth and pour a little cooking oil and apply it to the tire mark. This will not harm the paint of your car.

It worked for me. Then wash spot where tire mark was with a little water and Dawn dish soap. Hope this works for you!

Best Answer

An item sold for campers is called Black Streak Remover. I think you can even get it at Wal-Mart near their automotive department where they sell camping related products. I used it on my white car when something got streaked along the side. I think it was a bicycle handle. Whatever it was, this stuff took it off without ruining the finish.

Best Answer

WD-40 will remove tire marks from paint, just spray it on and wipe it off. I have been a mechanic for 34 years and have used that on near everything.

Best Answer

Here's an easy and cheap way I removed my problem. I used a paper towel and rubbing alcohol, and it came right off!

A bicyclist scraped the fender of my new black VW with his rubber handlebar. It is not scratched, but there is a streak of rubber about 5" long on the side of my fender. How can I remove it without damaging the paint?

Answers

My husband says just wash it off without using anything abrasive, rub it with your thumb and a little water and mild soap or even just water.

Try some WD-40.

I agree with other posters. I think it would rub right off with a soft cloth.

Try some Awesome cleaner on a paper towel.

Anonymous

use wd40 and paper towel

I had two small nail polish marks near the door handle on my 2016 Toyota. I am sure I scuffed it with my nail when getting in my car. I wet the end of a cotton swab and dipped it in baking soda.

I rubbed it gently on the surface and then rubbed with a little more pressure with my thumb. Then I just wiped with a damp soft paper towel. It took the polish right off.

I have a issue related to wooden polish felt on my car exterior (on main screen mirror & left side body). How can I remove it without damaging the paint? Please arrange to create the solution on urgent basis.

My white car has been "kissed" by the very big tires of a 350 pickup. Needless to say the back fender is now coated with rubber from those tires. These tires actually rubbed off the paint down to primer on spots and completely off in other areas.

I am not sure if the fender is fiberglass or metal. Any ideas how to remove the black tire marks from the fender so I can repaint?

By anbsmommy from Tacoma, WA

Feedback:

Bug and Tar Remover

Go to Autozone and buy some bug and tar remover spray and wax on, wax off.

By kathleen williams

Paint Thinner

Use paint thinner. My "was-band" (my ex, hahaha) used to run a car business that did minor repairs. This is what he used on it.

By Elaine