Save Change Throughout The Year

Whenever cash is paid for something and change is given back, save it. Change adds up fast into big bucks. I also save the one dollar bills and group into tens.

Be willing to break the fives, tens, and twenties, etc., before you release the single dollar and change. I was skeptical of the idea until I tried it and found it really does work.

Having a full tank of gas in the vehicle and not having to take it from the weekly earnings when in a pinch makes a big difference whether you make it through the week with that little bit of savings especially if a day of work is missed and running short of cash.

It has helped pay for a child's lunch money all school term, and I never had to allow for it in the budget. It's great because it works.

By lorelei from OH

I do something similar. I have a set amount of money I give myself each week for food and other items. All the ones, fives and change I have left, goes into a can for when my husband needs a little extra money at the end of the week. If I have any $10 or $20 left, I just take less the next week.

The change will get cashed in a some point for ones for extra money for kids activities or if the kids buy lunch.

I did the same putting change in one of those large water containers but found that too much hassle. So what I did was buy a change sorter for about 3 bucks and now every night it empty change to it. Already sorted and don't have to worry about counting. When each container gets full, you wrap it then. Saves time too. Do this for about a year like I did and you'll have about $1000 in change guaranteed. But you have to be willing to start everyday off with no change in pocket and break bills.

I can't begin to tell you the number of times loose change has rescued us right before payday! And don't neglect those pennies. I regularly "rob" hubby's pile of loose change and wrap the pennies. It may not seem as if it would be worth it, but they do add up.

My husband and I clear our pockets and wallets every evening, for anything smaller than £1 or 50p coins. This way we do still keep some change for the next day, but the money definitely adds up quickly.