Making a Toothpick Christmas Tree

Category Decorations
Make a spiky toothpick Christmas tree decoration for you home. This is a guide about making a toothpick Christmas tree.

Toothpicks and Styrofoam balls come together to make an amazingly elegant table top Christmas tree.

Approximate Time: 10 - 12 hours

Instructions:

1. Just stick toothpicks in each of the balls. It should take 325 - 350 toothpicks per ball, spaced less than 1/4 inch apart.
  2. To assemble the tree, using the wreath as a base, arrange 7 balls on the wreath. Next, 5 balls sit on top of that ring, then 3, then 1.
  3. Ad

4. A pair of work gloves come in handy for working with the balls once the toothpicks are in.
  5. To paint the tree, you'll want to aim the spray at the toothpicks from the side (a lazy Susan or some other way to be able to spin the tree makes this much easier). Avoid spraying directly toward the center and soaking the Styrofoam. Be especially careful if using metallic paint, as it will dissolve the Styrofoam.
  6. If you aim only at the toothpicks, there will still be enough coverage on the balls even if there are white areas remaining. Once the spray snow is applied, it will blend nicely no matter what color you're using.
  7. Ad

8. Now spray snow all over, mostly aiming from the top down. Sprinkle glitter while the snow is still wet so that it will dry into the snow and flake off less.

Decorating options include:

By Lynn from Southfield, MI

OMG! I made this when I was a young girl in school and that has been over 50 yrs ago, lol. But I still remembered how to make them and was even thinking about making one this Christmas for my granddaughter, whom just got into a new apartment, and seeing this now gave me the inspiration! Thank you for sharing.

I saw this in somebody elses favorites, this will be my first favorite! Love it! This should be a fun project.

Fishing line helps to keep it together, especially if you add a loop for handling.
Also, a light spray of hair spray keeps snow in place !!
Storage : triple large leaf bags, just respray next year !!