Removing a Piece of Glass From Under the Skin

Category First Aid
This is a guide about removing a piece of glass from under the skin. A piece of glass stuck in your skin can be hard to see, making it difficult to remove. Here are some tips for removing it and preventing an infection.

I have an embedded piece of glass that has been in my foot for 6 weeks. Now it is puffed a little over the spot and you can feel something, but I can't remove it with tweezers. Will it eventually come out or do I need to see a doctor? Thanks for your help and God bless!

By Debra from TN

Answers

Best Answer

I would seek a doctor if it has been there for 6 weeks. You might have to have him/her remove it for you and medication for an infection if he/she deems it necessary. I had a friend whose Mom had sad consequences with a glass cut in her garden and did not seek medical help. Is your tetnus shot up to date?

Best Answer

Last year I got a splinter in my finger that was too deep for me to remove. The splinter became encapsulated (a hard shell formed around it) and I had to have it removed by an orthopedic surgeon.

I would definitely go see a doctor, as it has been in there so long. It might get infected.

Best Answer

I am with Doris, the drawing salve would be my first stop. It works awesome to take foreign objects out of the body. We once put it on a small child with a thorn so deep in her foot we couldn't get it out and we dug for it. We put on the drawing salve that looked like black tar, gooped it on put a bandaid on her and she took a nap. Exhausted from crying while we tried to dig it out. When she woke a couple hours latter we removed the bandaid and their was the thorn laying in the salve. A miracle. Have used it many times since. It's an underappreciated product.

I agree many people can not afford to go to the DR. and many people just don't like to unless it is the last resort. Good Luck!

I've got glass in my hand. It's been there for a while about 2-3 years. Will it surface and come out by it self or will I need to get it taken out by surgery.

Answers

Best Answer

Two to three years... your skin has already healed with the glass in it, so you're going to need to have it removed professionally.

How do you draw a piece of glass out from under the skin?

By Shelby1 from Alamo, TX

Answers:

At the bottom of ThriftyFun's website is a disclaimer and no one ever reads it.

Disclaimer
ThriftyFun.com cannot accept any responsibility for any injury or damage that you may cause to yourself, others, or property when following any advice given on this site. ThriftyFun.com has no control of how you may use information you get from this site and does not attest to the validity of any information found within. Much of this information comes from third parties (newsletter readers and other contributers). Use advice found in our newsletters and on our site at your own risk. If you see something on Thrifty Fun that you disagree with or feel is ill advised, please let us know. Our goal is print only valuable information and advice. If you find any information on ThriftyFun that is either erroneous and/or potentially harmful to others, please contact us immediately.

My advice is to seek medical attention. (06/13/2010)

By Marjorie

Hold an ice cube or ice pack to the skin over the glass. Wait till that area is numb. Use a needle or a craft knife (small sharp knife of some sort) to cut the skin above the glass. Remove the glass. Treat with antiseptic and bandage.

Or, got to a doctor and let them do basically what I just explained with different tools. (06/13/2010)

By Suntydt

The old folks use to use tobacco poultices to draw things to the top like splinters. I don't know if it will work with glass. If it is very deep I'd see the doctor. A possible infection from such a wound is not good. Professional advice is always a good idea for embedded items.

Should the area turn red and start stretching out see a doctor immediately. This is nothing to play around with if it gets to this stage. (06/15/2010)

By gem

My mom always used an Epsom salt soak to help coax it out and then numbed it with an ice cube and worked it out with a pair of tweezers. Always clean it afterward with hydrogen peroxide. (06/15/2010)

By Cupcake817

I have used the lining of an egg which when applied, begins to dry and shrink up.

Seeking medical attention isn't always an option for some of the many who are uninsured.

Good luck!! (06/15/2010)

By Sandi/Poor But Proud

If you can't find "drawing salve" at your pharmacy, try using bacon fat. Bacon fat works really good as a drawing agent. Many years ago my husband was in an accident and got small pieces of broken glass in the outer part of one ear. Of course, it got infected and his father put bacon fat on it and all the glass was drawn out. (06/19/2010)

By Doris