ChristmasGifts

Donations Instead of Gift Giving

I need some help coming up with a idea for a gift exchange at the school where I work. This would be for staff only. I had thought of having everyone purchase items that could be sent to the troops instead of buying each other gifts, but I'm not sure who I would contact. I did try to find out if there were any national guard troops from our state in Iraq, but there isn't at the moment. Are there any other ideas out there for donating instead of gift giving? I had also thought of St. Jude's Children's Hospital. Thanks in advance for your help.

That is so kind of you to help others because I feel that is the true meaning of Christmas. I am big on helping homeless animals so whenever someone insists on giving me a gift (Christmas, birthdays, etc.), I tell them to make a donation to their local animal shelter. If you are interested in helping an animal shelter, go to: http://www.petfinder.org to find local animal shelters.

If everyone cannot agree on one charity, why not suggest everyone make a donation to a worthy cause that means something to them. That way many charities can benefit from your idea. Good luck!

I like the soldier idea but wonder why they need to be from your state. You could contact an army recruting office or any branch of the military and they can steer you that way. I've sent packages to Iraq via the army.

A couple very worthy groups to consider: soldiersangels.com and fisherhouse.org. I think the sites may have lists of needed items as well.

www.heifer.org

Our church did this and it was fantastic!

Consider giving to your local food bank or adopting a family for Christmas.

I like to give gifts from Heifer. http://www.heifer.org/
For my daughters classrooms, I get the book Beatrice's Goat and a share of goats.

Thanks for all the ideas! We found out a former student from our school was being deployed right before Thanksgiving so we'll be sending him and his platoon a few boxes of "stuff"
I have some great ideas on the kind of things to send since my son was deployed to Iraq for 18 months a few years ago.
Thanks again for your help! I wrote those down so we could use them in the future.

More now than ever, animal shelters are in need of donations to help care for the thousands of pets given up due to foreclosures, and financial problems in general. Give to a local shelter, or to the Humane Society if in doubt.