Making a Crayon Costume

Category Costumes
Making a Crayon Costume
Dressing as a crayon is a really cute Halloween costume idea. This is a guide about making a Crayola crayon costume.

Can someone please send me the instructions for the crayon costumes? I'm especially curious what the hats are made of?

By Yael

Answers

Best Answer

Our university sponsors a trick-or-treat event for the local community. We are required to come up with themes that are NOT scary. We were the spooky crayons last year. This is what we did:

1. Everyone dressed from head to toe in the color that they wanted to be. (If you are in a cooler climate than Louisiana, sweat suits are ideal.)

2. I used one poster board of matching color for each person. For our crayon labels I cut one piece of poster board in half so that the long side was about 22" long.

3. Punch 1 hole in each top corner and 1 in each side at the waist of each poster board half.

4. I then created the my version of the crayola wave and color words using Microsoft Word. These were created so they would print on legal sized paper (8.5"x14"). I could post the document files here, but will be glad to e-mail them if you send a message to my thriftyfun account.

5. I cut out the waves so that I only had the black portions of the wave. This allowed me to separate them a little so that the stripe was larger when I put it down on the poster board pieces.

6. Cut the color words out in strips. You will later just trace the edges of these onto the poster board.

7. Position the wave pieces at the top and bottom of each of the poster board halves so that the gap between the black stripes is a little greater that the white stripe that printed with the pieces.

8. Glue the wave pieces down with your favorite type of glue.

9. Position the color word strip on the poster board. Trace over the outer edges of the words with a dull pencil so that only the impression of the word outlines appear on the poster board. Color in the words with a permanent black marker. Repeat on the other poster half.

10. Take small craft foam sheets and roll them into a party hat that does not have a sharp closed point. I'm not sure of the size--6"x8" maybe. Staple the cone you've created. Trim away any excess foam. Position the hat so that the stapled edge is at the back. Punch holes in both sides of the hat.

11. Attach matching yarn or embroidery thread through each hole that you've punched in the hat and the poster board halves. The yarn on the hat should be long enough to tie under each person's chin. The yarn at the sides should tie around each person's waist. The yarn in the upper corners should meet and tie on each person's shoulder to make a sandwich board of the crayon label.

12. I also made the crayon box that we used as our booth. Let me know if you need instructions for that, too!

How do I make a black Crayola costume?

By Sandra

Make a tube of a stiff material that will fit around the wearer; if arms are to be free, I would make it in two pieces that slip together at the arms. Go to a fabric store for buckrum (?), a stiff material. You can make the costume taller than the wearer, cutting eye holes where the lettering will be and even cover those with a black netting. Cover the stiff material with black material or even paper after doing the lettering. The basic form can be recovered to make a totem pole, a candle, or about anything else of that shape so if this is for a child, it can be recycled for another child of the same size.

Where can I get the pattern for the Crayola Costumes shown on your site. We really want to make a team effort for a party we have coming up and these costumes look fantastic and exactly what we're looking for.

Louise from United Kingdom

Editor's Note: I think Louise is referring to these costumes: http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf90077665.tip.html