Stretching Your Christmas Turkey

After Christmas dinner, DO NOT throw the carcass away. Remove all meat from carcass and pack in freezer bags. Take the carcass, place in large pot of water and add 3 large sliced onions and 3 or 4 stalks celery, salt, pepper and parsley flakes. Boil for an hour and remove carcass and pick off remaining meat. In separate pot, boil pot pie noodles and place in turkey broth. Makes a great pot of turkey pot pie. I sometimes add 1 or 2 sliced potatoes to make a thicker pot pie.

This has become a tradition in our home. The day after Christmas, I serve turkey pot pie with turkey sandwiches. I then take all my leftovers; i.e. stuffing, corn, green beans, turkey, mashed potatoes and layer them in a 9x13 inch pan and cover with gravy and bake 300 degrees F for 30 minutes. Serve the other sides such as cranberries and coleslaw along with your casserole. It adds variety and spices things up to change the recipes. Enjoy!

Source: I learned this from my mom..she was always finding ways to stretch meals and add variety. I swear that woman could make soup from a rock!

By Maureen from Williamsport, PA

If you roast the carcass in the oven first, you will have the best tasting broth to make your pot pies.

Roast until the bones are browned and then put in your pot of water.

i LIKE THE IDEA OF LAYERING AND MAKING CASSEROLE, IM GOING TO DO THAT NEXT YEAR (THIS YEAR I GUESS HUH!!!)

Both of Maureen's ideas and Hugmehugs' tip sound delicious to me! I just might try all of them this year!

God Bless,

Sheila in Titusville, FL

Food and Recipes Recipes Holidays Christmas TraditionsApril 14, 2008
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
A cooked turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in a Slow Cooker (Crockpot)
Carving a Turkey
Using Your Turkey Bones for Soup
Large Turkey in Deep Fryer
Deep Frying a Turkey
🎉
🎄