Milkweed Ornaments (Santa Pods)

This one is easy enough for kids. It's cheap and quick so kids in Scouts or groups can make several for gifts. I wrapped mine, using red and white tulle which comes on a roll. I closed the ends with tinsel pipe cleaners and added beads on the end. You could use curling ribbon, too, but the pipe cleaners are faster. Makes a nice presentation and the person can see your project if they don't feel like opening it this minute.

Approximate Time: 10 minutes

• dried, empty milkweed pods
  • acrylic paints, white, black, flesh, red
  • "Snow-Tex" craft medium*
  • thread or ribbon
  • diamond dust or twinkly paint, optional**
  • small white pom pom for hat, optional

*If you don't have time to dry the projects before completing, use cotton or fiberfill for the hat and mustache.

**They now have paint with the diamond dust right in there - a lot less messy than sprinkling on glitter, but less fun!

• Make sure pods are split and emptied of seeds outside!

• Base coat entire pod in white. Dry.

• Paint top of pod red to resemble hat.

• Referring to photo, paint flesh color on face area. Dry

• With end of paint brush, add black eyes and red nose.

• With "Snow-Tex" and paint brush or craft popsicle sticks, add mustache and trim on hat.

• Snow-Tex will have to dry over night.

• Add pom pom with glue if desired.

• Paint back of project and all but the face with twinkly paint. (Or use glue and diamond dust).

• Attach ribbon or thread for hanging, using needle or hot glue.

By Cindy from Waynesburg, PA

Great idea, two thumbs up!! Now if I could only find some milkweed pods. You can do so many things with the pods as well as the seeds. Thanks for sharing.

This is very beautiful! I love how they turn out. The tulle is nice too!

(sent in by email)

Several folks have asked where to get pods for the milkweed crafts. I went to Michaels and discovered a big bag of potpourri scented with vanilla that has some pods similar to milkweeds and other interesting things. The scent might be bothersome, but once you seal it with paint, it should be okay. The bag was $7.99 but I used one of their 40% off coupons. I'll use whatever is left with a candle or something.

I also found smaller bags of potpourri in the dollar store. The scent is lighter so it might be more pleasant to work with. I found the prettiest green and burgundy items scented with mulberry. There is also natural colored stuff in there. You could get a lot of projects for $1.

Bethlehem with star on milkweed pod
Making Milkweed Christmas Ornaments
Crafts Christmas OrnamentsNovember 21, 2008
Bleach Bottle Santa
Making a Bleach Bottle Santa
A salt dough ornament on a Christmas tree.
Making Salt Dough Ornaments
Crafts Using Maple Tree Seed Pods
Crafts Using Maple Tree Seed Pods
Fabric Can Lid Ornaments Finished
Tin Can Christmas Ornaments