Alternative to "Secret Santa" for the Workplace

Would you like an Alternative to the "Secret Santa" event in your workplace?

This year only half the office wanted to have Secret Santa (gift exchange where you pick someone's name). Even those who agreed gave a lukewarm response to the idea. The people opposing the idea did not want to spend the money, some others mentioned that they usually get gifts that they don't use/like at these gift exchanges.

I came up with something better that EVERYONE agreed on. Participation was voluntary. For every non perishable food item that people brought in, I gave them a ticket to write their name on. So if people brought 5 food items I would give them 5 tickets. Once all the food was collected, I drew a name, this person won a basket that I made with homemade items that I already had on hand (I make a lot of soaps, lotions and other bath goods for the holidays). The participants who did not win, got a small baggie of peanut brittle that I made. Granted, I donated all the gifts but we ended up with LOTS of food for the food bank considering our office only has 14 people. The peanut brittle only cost me a couple of dollars to make.

Everyone was very happy with the outcome because they felt good about giving food to the poor! Also, everyone got a little surprise to take home too! It's a win win event!

If you do not want to or can't donate items yourself, ask people to donate something small for the basket that they've made or want to regift (think GREEN/RECYCLING) (i.e. crochet washcloth, candies, candles.)

Happy Holidays!

Source: This was written by me

By Lisa from Halifax

Helpful HintsNovember 29, 2021
Page
🎄
🎉
Sub-Categories
AdviceBaking TipsBooksBoxing DayBudgetCardsCharitiesChristmas RecipesCleaningCooking TipsCraftsDecoratingDietingGamesGift WrappingGiftsHelpful HintsHosting TipsLinksMiscellaneousMy Frugal HolidayOrganizationParentingPartiesPhotosPlanningSanta TipsShoppingStocking StuffersTraditionsTravel
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Alternative-to-Secret-Santa-for-the-Workplace-1.html