Decorate With Pinecones

The least expensive Christmas tree decoration I know is to use lawn harvested pinecones. Pick up any size or kind from the ground (ask permission but most are happy to get rid of them!), take them inside and let them warm up and open up. I put mine in a plastic bag so any critters are contained.

I then roll the opened cones in a little glue that I put on plastic and them roll the cones in glitter I put in a box lid so I can reuse the glitter for another project. Set aside to dry the glue then add a loop of thread around the top to hang it from the tree. Another decoration idea is to spraypaint cones or roll the cones in sequins, seed beads, or anything small, safe and decorative.

By Karen from LaPorte, IN

This sounds like a great idea, my son is only 1 1/2 and this year we picked pinecones from a walk we went on and painted them etc just for fun, I never thought about hanging them on our tree :)

I did the same thing few days ago. I have pictures of it if you want to look at them. I also did snowflake puzzles, too. Let me know if you are interested: spideywomanrg AT aol.com

I love to decorate with pinecones. I start picking them up in October. A couple years ago, I saw a five foot length of rope with alternating pinecones and bundles of sticks wired to it for...get this... $10!

Forget that! I made my own... and for my mother-in-law and my eldest Daughter's new apartment, and my grandmother... Mine is entwined with a string of lights this year and humg over the window between the entry-way and the dining area.

I've also piles Pinecones and lights (the kind that don't get hot) in a twig basket. Spraypainted them in silver and gold and added string hangers... glitter... I love pinecones!

Hey... also, a good way to get them to open AND be rid of "critters" is to put your oven on it's lowest setting, line a pan with foil and put the cones in a single layer. Pop the pan of cones in the oven for about 15-20 minutes then shut off the oven. Wait until cool and use to your heart's contentment.

Glad to see another pinecone enthusiast!

I agree with you on the pinecones. They can be sprayed, cut, used on packages with a glue gun. The only improvement I'd suggest is putting them in the oven at about 250 degrees for an hour. It will kill the critters, but they open so beautifully. Some cones will only open with heat, so they can reforest after a fire.

Also, sprinkled with spices and put in a basket in front of a fire is a nice fragrant touch.

Please email your pictures of the pine cone in snow flake puzzles. sdukes AT vci.net Thank you

Another use for them is to gather some large magnolia leaves and spray paint them gold and silver. Also paint the pine cones, or pretty them up with glitter or whatever. Set the pine cones on top of the leaves and mix in a few ornaments and you have a beautiful centerpiece for a table. I don't have any magnolia leaves, so can't do it and send a pic, but my mother did this every Christmas for as long as I can remember. It was always beautiful.

We use them on the outside trees as well. Smear peanut butter on them, then roll in birdseed. It will feed the birds and when the birds have eaten all the food, the pinecone is biodegradable.

Nice hint. I've always been too worried about creepy crawlies coming out of them to use them. Nice to see what others have said about baking them. Maybe my daughter and I will work on this soon! Thanks!

Decorating With Pinecones
Decorating With Pine Cones
Crafts Christmas DecorationsDecember 12, 2008
three fabric pinecone decorations
Making Folded Fabric Pinecones
Pinecone Christmas Ornaments
Making Pinecone Christmas Ornaments
Decorate Cupcakes
Decorate Cupcakes at a Birthday Party
Decorative cloth banners.
Making a Banner
🎉
🎄