Start With Youngest Child For Christmas Gifts

When it comes to opening gifts it can get a little hectic. We found a way around that. When I married my husband, he introduced my family to his way of opening the gifts. His family started with the youngest opening one gift and worked their way up the line to the oldest then started over again.

That way all know what everyone got and each person got, the chance to thank the giver, and the giver was able to see the reaction to their gifts. It also makes the gift time last longer. Our family has adopted this tradition and loved it!

Merry Christmas all.

By Latrtatr from Loup City, NE

I have a disabled daughter that lives with me and we open out presents on Christmas Eve, then on Christmas Day, when we have company, we started the rule of youngest child goes first, when I had my third grandchild. The youngest is now going on 14 and still goes first. I also pass a garbage bag around to each person to put their wrappings in, that way gifts don't get lost in a pile of wrapping paper. My apartment is small and everything more or less gets piled on the floor in front of each person leaving very little floor space. Plus I am getting cranky in my old age. lol

Good idea - we used to do something similar, except I don't remember doing it youngest-to-oldest.

Only thing is, you might want to make sure everyone has an equal number of gifts, if possible. Might save hurt feelings.

In our house it was Santa on Christmas Eve and personal gifts on Christmas Day. On the Eve we went to church and Christmas caroling then drove around looking at the lights. When we got home (about the same time our father, a police officer, got home from his evening shift :), we found Santa had been there.

We were allowed to have the "Santa" gifts (anything unwrapped) then take those items and our stockings and go to our rooms. We could stay up as late as we wished as long as we were quiet. Of course we stayed up late playing with our new toys and slept in the next morning so Christmas dinner was almost ready when we came dragging out. I thought my Mom was pretty smart because she was able to cook it without kids underfoot.

After an early Christmas dinner we would line up on the couch and my Dad would distribute the wrapped gifts one by one down the line and allow time for opening and sharing everything before moving on. Most of these gifts were clothes or practical items but there were always a couple of fun surprises.

This is a great idea. But you have to make sure each person got an equal number of gifts.

When I was growing up no presents got opened on Christmas Eve. But in order to allow my parents time to sleep in a little bit longer, us kids were allowed to go and get our stockings and dig into those. Then when Mom and Dad got up, Mom cooked breakfast which consisted of eggs, bacon, toast, the whole bit. We had to eat and get the dishes cleaned up before the rest of the presents could be opened.

When my own kids were growing up I kept to the same traditions except breakfast would only consist of cinnamon rolls and tea, and dishes got put off till after present time. That way the kids didn't have to wait so long. I remember the torture of hurrying through eating my own breakfast only to have to wait till everyone else was done (and my parents were SO SLOW!) and dishes were done! Couldn't see doing that to my own kids.

These are all great ideas! It's nice to read about other peoples traditions. I was an only child, so I got to open first and last!

Merry Christmas Everyone!, and the best to you all in 2011!

Hope you don't have a big family or it will be a long wait for the youngest. we always let the kids go first then adults. we do everything on Christmas morning. Santa gifts are looked at first then we do stockings and then open gifts.Mom or Dad take pictures while all this is going on.

This works rather well in our family as well. I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas & a good new year.

We did the same, taking turns opening gifts. When the family got too big, we would have two opening gifts at a time, but never more. (And when Mom was opening a gift, no one else could - otherwise, she loses track of who got what!) I like that idea of starting with the youngest; they are the most impatient. We had the youngest one who could read (even a little) pass out gifts from under the tree - they felt SO important, and it kept them busy the whole time.

Generally, every child should have the same number of gifts, but not necessarily Mom and Dad; and when a child gets old enough to want a really expensive gift, he doesn't also get the same *number* of gifts as the little ones. It's surprising, though, how the little ones will keep track and protest, "but he didn't get as many as I did!" or "Where are the rest of your presents, Mommy? Is that all you got?"

A girl with a present on Christmas morning.
Christmas Morning Tips
Holidays and Parties Christmas GiftsDecember 9, 2009
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Parenting an Autistic Child, Diamond shaped traffic sign warning, autistic child area.
Parenting an Autistic Child
Husband and Wife holding a baby
Adopting a Child
Edible Igloo
Making Edible Igloos