Locating a Christmas Charity to Support

My coworkers and I are looking for a children's charity to buy Christmas gifts for this year. There are about 50 of us. Anyone know of any in the Sanford, FL area?

By ceaton64 from Sanford, FL

I live in Milwaukee Wisconsin, and we (our Harley group) give toys to the kids at our childrens hospital.

Check your local hospital or your attending physician if they know of an organization. You can also check with your church or a local church (especially one of size) to see if they can recommend any place that meets what yu are looking for.

The Marine Corp collects Toys for Tots at Christmas time.

Besides the Toys for Tots program, the Salvation Army usually does things like that. There are numerous organizations that collect gifts for low income people during the holidays. Even some businesses do that, places like radio stations, etc. The WalMart stores in SD have boxes near their entrances during the holidays to collect gifts for the Toys for Tots program. You could also contact your local food pantry. Being there are a lot of you, you could contact the food stamp office and ask about adopting a needy family for Christmas, that means buying gifts, food so they can prepare a Christmas dinner, an artificial christmas tree(it wouldn't have to be an expensive one), plus decorations for the tree, then a few of your group would deliver it a couple weeks before Christmas. This happened to one of my daughters a few years ago and it was greatly appreciated. Have the food stamp office pick the family then contact the family to get ideas of what they need and want for Christmas. My grandkids got really nice clothes, and toys from that group, plus the family got food, a tree, etc.

Oh yes, I should also say the parents got clothes, and gifts too. Maybe there could only be one item of clothing and one toy for each person in the family depending on how large the family is, but I think that is a good idea.

You can also check your local Children's Home and foster care organization. Kids who are "in the system" often get overlooked during the holidays. I have a comment on the idea of calling the family ahead of time to find out what they really need. Years ago when my first so-called husband and I were having domestic issues and Children's Services got involved, they showed up unexpectedly at our house with Santa and loads of gifts and food. It was a great photo-op for the local sheriff. However, if they'd asked us ahead of time, I could've advised against giving us a set of knives. If I'd been a violent person, that could've spelled disaster!

Another year that stands out is when a local church "adopted" my family of six. They picked us up and took us all shopping. We had a $200 budget each, and weren't allowed to pick anything that wasn't for ourselves. What luxury!

Try Operation Christmas Child. Pack shoe boxes for children all over the world if you want to go international. Go to samaritianspurse.org and find out the details on how to pack a shoebox and where in your area to deliver it to for shipment. We are active in this organization and have been for 10 plus years and love it.

I would check with local schools. There are always children who are lacking and you would be keeping it local.

Hello

You can always find a VFW or Eagles Club They are always helping families around the hoidays. They would love to have some help. You also can get a hold of churchs, They have lists of family's Home for abused Women and Children. Any of these organizations will be glad you want to help around your vacinity

Have Fun

Donna

Here is a link to Samaritan's Purse. it's a fantastic charity run by Franklin Graham, Billy Graham's son.

http://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php

They do "Operation Christmas Child" every year, gathering up shoe boxes filled by people like you and your coworkers, with toys,etc. and take them to needy orphans and poor kids all over the world! This charity is always first on the scene for any disaster (flood,fire, hurricane, etc) here in the US and worldwide. I haven't found a better place to send my money.

If you want something locally, I'd contact Salvation Army. They are wonderful too.

Pinecrest elementary school has a lot of children in need.you could contact them and they could probably give you a few families that could really use some help. the phone number is 4073205450

Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Fabric
Donating Fabric to Charity
Writing a child support check.
Paying Back Child Support
Giving to Charity
Giving to Charity
🎄
🍂