TraditionsChristmas

Italian Christmas Celebration Ideas

We are tired of the traditional ham, potato, etc. meal for Christmas. The family decided to start an annual event of trying a different country each year to experience their culture.

We want to decorate (simply, maybe around the table) and do some of the traditional things that country does. We picked Italy for the first one this year. I do know they celebrate on Christmas Eve and usually eat 7 different types of seafood. That can get kind of expensive, but wonder if anyone has any ideas. Thanks for any wonderful suggestions. Merry Christmas.

By Bonnie from Zion, IL

This is what I found and I only looked one place. This said the Christmas meal in Italy consists of seven courses. They are antipasto, small portion pasta, roast meat, 2 salads, 2 sweet puddings. Followed by: cheese, fruit, brandy and chocolates.

My Grandfather's family was from northern Italy. Our family usually has homemade ravioli's along with a cheese filled pasta soup. We also make honey cakes a light crispy fried pastry drizzled with honey. And have on hand Italian nougart candy wrapped in individual boxes. Celebrated on Christmas eve.

Well this year instead of turkey we are having lasagna and I'm also doing some cedar plank salmon. I decided this cause I am so tired of turkey. I like the idea of Italian themed Christmas, I will have to try some of the desserts too.

If you want to incorporate seafood in your menu, to save money I would make something like a seafood lasagna, shrimp scampi, clam chowder to name a few. Each of these dishes can be made with a minimal amount of seafood to save on the expense. Hope this helps.

My family was from Sicily. On Christmas eve, my aunt would cook a regular spagetti sauce and use canned tuna in place of meat. Sounds weird but was very good.