Make Placemats With Last Year's Christmas Cards

Approximate Time: 20 minutes or less

• used Christmas cards
  • glue
  • scissors
  • large can, such as a coffee can
  • laminate sheets or trip to office store

Select desired Christmas cards and place coffee can around area of picture and trace around can, cut out circle picture. Place the circles of cut out cards flat on table and overlap them as if they are linked together like a chain, or in pattern desired, and glue to hold in place. I usually overlap/link 4 or 5 across and 4 down, depending on the size desired.

After glue has dried, you can flip it over and glue them to the other side to match or you can leave as is if you don't have enough used cards but then your flip side will not be decorative.

Laminate them with laminate sheets or take them to an office supply store and have them run though laminate machine. This way placemats can be wiped clean and reused again and again.

They make very festive placemats, you can also make coasters to match. With the remaining scraps/cards left from cutting circles, I cut those into small pieces and use as decorative gift box name tags - nothing is wasted!

By Tracey from Santa Rosa Beach, FL

Editor's Note: I'm sorry but Tracey doesn't have a photo of this project. Feel free to post your own creations in the feedback.

Great idea! You can also use clear contac paper instead of laminate. I'm going to make some now! Thanks!

I think this is a good idea! I think what I am going to do is on the flip side I am going to put names of who gave me the card!! For example I have the last card my aunt sent me before she died and I will use this card and cut out where she signed it and put it on the back. This will be good for memories of family members!

November 30, 2009 Flag

You can use old Christmas cards to make holiday placemats. Cut out pictures from old Christmas cards and scotch tape or glue them together. Once you have several cutouts together, place them onto the sticky side of the contact paper (other side of paper will have a design). Next, take clear contact paper and cover the cutouts, press firmly to get out the air bubbles. Then simply cut the excess contact paper off and you'll have a nice placemat. You can use it picture side up for the holidays and design side up for the rest of the year. Messes wipe right off and they last forever! You may want to use pinking shears to give the edges a more decorative look.

Robin - PA

Last Year's Christmas Cards

You can also recycle last year Christmas cards too now. I have doing it for a while. I haven't bought any Christmas cards in a while. All you do is if there is no writing on the backside that has the picture, you can use them. Just cut the card in half now and put double sided tape on it, then put lace on it and do your own writing on the back of it. Why throw them away when you don't have to? (12/07/2004)

By Joyce

Using Old Christmas Cards
Using Old Christmas Cards
Holidays and Parties Christmas Decorations CraftsNovember 30, 2009
Fabric Napkin
Making Fabric Placemats and Napkins
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Vintage Hank Aaron Baseball Card Leaning Against Old Baseball
Determining the Value of Baseball Cards