Using Old Christmas Cards

0
Share
Pin
Save
Follow
Print

If you have old holiday cards laying around and don't want to throw them away, why not use them to create these cute paper dresses.

Total Time: 15 minutes

• old Christmas cards
  • scissors
  • trims, beads, and lace
  • a cut out shape of a dress
  • glue

1. I took old Christmas cards and cut off the fronts.
  2. Then I used one of the card backs to cut out a basic dress shape.
  3. Next, I cut out dresses from the fronts of different cards.
  4. Finally, I glued lace, trim, beads, and even cut outs from the cards to make the little dresses. I have them hanging like a garland down a wall.

22 More Solutions

Take 20 used Christmas card (or any other card) fronts and cut out 4 inch circles. Using a triangle template, fold the edges of the circles up to form flaps. Glue the flaps together, add a hanging ribbon and you have an 8" decorative ball.

Using Old Christmas Cards

Reusing Old Christmas Cards (Holiday Craft Idea). When my sister and I were kids, we didn't have a lot of money in our family. We didn't know it and still had a ton of fun!

I came across a Christmas card that I received earlier this year. I had a notebook that I do my homework and papers on, for my online college. I decided to use my Christmas card to make my notebook more efficient. Now when I open my notebook it is right where I want it to be, on the first new blank page.

I would like to see pictures of things done (for Christmas) out of old Christmas Cards!

Here's a great way to use old Christmas cards or those Christmas card samples you get in the mail, or even those Christmas cards you get on clearance after Christmas.

I love to save greeting cards people have sent me over the years. One day, while going through my box of cards, I thought how pretty they were and it was a shame they were packed away in a box.

They can be used for so many things next Christmas: decoupage, wreaths, ornaments, decorations, collage, etc., etc., etc.

I received many Christmas cards this year that displayed family photos. Rather than put them in the recycle bin, I am cutting the pictures to fit ceramic tiles and mod-podging the pictures to the tiles.

Recycle Christmas cards! Not only will she be able to use these otherwise useless cards, she will also save money on the postage because here in the states a post card still costs less to mail than a letter!

I always save the Christmas cards we receive and like to send them to someone who can use them for recycling or making other crafts. Does anyone have such a name and address of where to send them? Thank you.

Annette

Answers

Most cities have a local chapter of Freecycle. It is an online group/community of people who recycle by asking for or giving away items. Google Freecycle with your city name, and you should find the one for you. I am sure someone would love to use them.

When I was a kid, my aunt made boxes out of old Christmas cards. She would punch holes along the sides and then crochet them together. The boxes even had a flap for a lid. I am looking for directions/pattern on how to make these.

Nancy from Pittsburgh

Answers

Best Answer

Hi Mom,
I think I found something that will help. robynefmelia.blogspot.com/.../hanky-box-for-zoe.html

Answer this Question

What are suggestions for ways to reuse past Christmas cards?

By Ann Spears R.

How can I turn an old used Christmas card into a newer Christmas card, that is also cheap, creative, fun, and that several people can enjoy?

By Nikki from Bedford, PA

Answers

The thriftyfun.com website has a ton of ideas. Type in Christmas or "old Christmas cards" and there are tons.

Does anyone have instructions to make a Tree Skirt using old Christmas Cards? I had this pattern years ago and have lost it. Any replies are appreciated. Thank you.

Answers

By KJ (Guest Post)

I think I know what you're talking about.

I seem to remember that the card pieces were first edged in a blanket stitch. You'd have to use a fairly strong needle and a decent/sturdy ply of yarn.

Then, the pieces were attached to each other, probably through crochet or sewn together with yarn.

Hope this helps.

By jsham (Guest Post)

I found the following idea by putting "Tree Skirt using old Christmas cards" into my search engine.

Wondering what to do with those old cards from previous years? Use them to cover that tree stand. Cut a cone of oak tag paper to fit around the stand, leaving the hole for the tree trunk on top (and for watering if you have a real tree). Glue or tape the old cards to the stand. You can either put them side by side so they can still be opened and viewed, make a collage out of their covers, or overlay them haphazardly to look like you've thrown a stack of cards at the bottom of the tree.

If I wanted to make it more permanent I would use the tag paper pattern and cut out some fabric (felt would be nice) and sew the cards to it. Then put a piece of velcro at the top and probably another on down to keep it in place and you would have it for future years.

By Quilleen (Guest Post)

I think I would use a small paper punch to make the the holes for the blanket stitch first; easier on the fingers.

Answer this Question

How many Christmas cards does it take to make a medium size Christmas tree ornament?

I need instructions to make a gift box out of old Christmas cards.

Nancy from Pryor, OK

Answers

Hi Nancy! Here's a site that tells how to make small boxes using Christmas cards: www.allfreecrafts.com/.../greeting-card-box.shtml By the way, I was born in Stillwater OK :):)

I just saw the coolest picture that was made out of cards. Using only the front of the cards, make a patchwork design. You can cut out different shapes or one area of the card. I saw this in a magazine in the doctor's office. They wanted $500 for the finished piece. From what I saw, they made some that were 8 x 10, and larger. I think it would make a nice gift. I am thinking about do it with all my mother's day cards too.
Hope this helps
Laura

Answer this Question

I want to recycle last years Christmas cards to send out this year as Christmas postcards. Just one question: the fronts of all my cards have an embossed image of a tree, a package, a star, etc. When I turn the card over to draw the center line between the message side and the address side the card is not smooth. Can I still use them or will the embossed image cause a problem with the postal service.

By GA

Load More
Better Living Green Living ReusingDecember 11, 2012
🌻
🐛
👔
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Using-Old-Christmas-Cards.html