Box Made from Christmas Cards and Yarn

When I was a kid, my aunt made boxes out of old Christmas cards. She would punch holes along the sides and then crochet them together. The boxes even had a flap for a lid. I am looking for directions/pattern on how to make these.

Nancy from Pittsburgh

Best Answer

Hi Mom,
I think I found something that will help. http://robynefm … box-for-zoe.html

By Jessica (Guest Post)

if they are like the ones I remember, the wholes were punched with a needle first, then a blanket stitch was sticthed around with a needle and a string type yarn. We then whipstiched them together in the shape of a house or box. Needed the same size cards and same color family. Thats what I remember, I had a few of those until a few years ago.

By Rebecca (Guest Post)

http://www.jpfu … hexagonbox.shtml This is the link that I use.

Rebecca from Indiana

I'll bet the ones you might be thinking about are the hexagon shaped ones. The sides kind of bulged out. I have been looking for that pattern for years. I used to make them with my grandmother, she actually crocheted them together, using a crochet hook.

I saw some for sale at a craft fair, but they would not give me a copy of the pattern. I will keep hunting surely someone has a pattern they are willing to share.

Well, I am still looking for the pattern for those Hexagon shaped boxes. The one that I keep seeing is not the right one. The one I want has curved sides that bulge out and make a box that is rounded on the outside. I know it must be hard to visualize if you have never seen one. I am determined to find a copy of the original one. I might have to try to create my own. I really want to make these for my children this year. They have been asking for years. I can't believe that they are not on the Internet somewhere, but I have searched under every description I can think of. Help!