Making a Rug from Plastic Bags

Category Other
There are a few different ways to make a plarn hooked or braided rug reusing hundreds of plastic bags. This is a guide about making a rug from plastic bags.

This is a rug we use for muddy shoes. It is easily rinsed clean and drip dried.

This rug is pretty is easy, really cool and costs next to nothing to make.

Directions:

1. The cardboard will be used to make a loom. The rug will end being about three inches smaller than the piece of cardboard you use. Cut notches along the top and bottom of the cardboard. To create the notches draw a line 1 1/2 inches below the top and bottom edge. Make a mark every 1 1/2 inches along each of the lines you just drew. Cut a notch as wide as your thumb at every mark.

2. Cut large garbage bags in long strips about six inches wide. Tie all the strips together into a long piece. I ended up using three garbage bags. You can also use large, sturdy ribbon.

3. Wrap the garbage bag (or ribbon) around the front and back of the cardboard using the notches you cut into the cardboard to hold the bag in place. Then tie the ends together on the back diagonally. Your loom is now ready for weaving.

4. Cut the handles and down the side of shopping bags to flatten them out. The bigger the rug you make the more shopping bags you will need so make sure you have a lot handy in each color that you want to use on your rug. Different stores may have different colored shopping bags. For example, the blue bags in my rug are from Wal-Mart.

5. To get started, tie 3 bags together.

6. To start weaving, tie one end of the shopping bags to the top corner of the loom (don't tie it to the cardboard, tie it to the garbage bag or ribbon), then weave the rest of the shopping bag over and under the garbage bags (or ribbon) strips. Weave each row in an opposite pattern as the previous row. Attach more shopping bags as you go.

7. When you have finished weaving and have filled up the loom, tie of the end in the corner. Your rug should look something like the picture below.

8. To remove the rug from the loom, cut the garbage bag (or ribbon) across the top edge of the loom. It is best to cut them two at a time, then tie them together before cutting anymore.

When you are finished, your rug should look something like this!

You can reuse the loom for your next rug.

There were plenty of reusable shirt bags behind a clothier here and a handy video to make short work of making the plarn necessary to create handmade items.

The pink areas are made from 30 bags for a dollar plastic kitchen bags providing much needed color for interest! The fringe took nearly all of 3 whole pink bags.

My problem is that I am not in a zone that I can sell retail from which I had hoped. So, on Sundays across from me at a park, it is busier than any other day. Taking advantage of that, I backed my truck up to near the end of my driveway, leaving enough room for 1 other vehicle to get off the street.

I have an over-the-door towel rack that I don't use for towels that fit nicely over the top of my tailgate and I fastened my crocheted rug to it with with my price tag clearly visible! No one bought my rug, but I know I can at least TRY, which is 1/2 the success!

I have several free patterns for crocheting rugs using plastic bags or plarn at my blog. I have attached one oval rug pattern link.

Link: http://www.myrecycledbags.com/2010/03/28/plastic-trash-rug/

This guide is about making a hooked rug using plastic bags. A great way to recycle loads of plastic bags is to make a rug.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

Link: http://www.myrecycledbags.com/2008/09/27/recycled-round-plarn-rug/

Could you use the non skid rubber mats instead of latch hook canvas for this project? Would it help keep the mat in place better?

Answers

I think it would work out very well. Why don't you try to cut a small piece and complete that? That way you won't waste time if it doesn't work out the way you want.

i have used that rubber shelf liner and works great but i also have seen things o in the craft store that said for backing of rungs etc..

I put my mat on a carpet floor and then secured it down with ducktape

How do I make a rug from plastic grocery bags?

By debit

Answers

Try youtube and type in crochet plastic bag rug, you need to use plarn which plastic bag yarn roll. you can also see that on youtube.

http://www.yout  +plastic+bag+rug

I would like to make a rug using plastic grocery bags. I need a crochet pattern. Thank you.

By Terri

Answers

This site has patterns for all sorts of things recycled:

http://www.myre  astic-trash-rug/