Warning: Cut Christmas Trees Are A Fire Hazard

Several years ago, I put up a cut pine tree for Christmas. Afterward, I took it out back to the burn pile and lit it with a match and one section of toilet paper. Within seconds, the fire was out of control, and so hot that I could not approach it. I had no idea how little it took to ignite a dry pine, and how quickly it could grow into a roaring fire. Never, never will I ever have a cut pine for a Christmas tree again. With much pleading and grumbling, my children have agreed to no more cut pines in their homes either.

I feel compelled this season to share what I learned. Cut pines are an extreme fire hazard. Wishing all a very Merry Christmas.

By Suzann from Brownsville, OH

I applaud you for standing by your convictions! And not only are cut Christmas trees a fire hazard but also such a waste of precious natural resources! If someone really wants a Christmas tree you can purchase nice artificial ones, which if stored and handled properly, will last a couple of decades! Personally, I haven't had a live tree for about a quarter of a century. I now have an artificial Charlie Brown Christmas tree that doesn't even take up much room to store and is still in the spirit of CHRISTmas. ;-)

Your tip reminded me of the story in my ex husbands family about Grandpa and Grandma who lived in a huge stone house in eastern WA. They decided one Christmas to burn the dry tree in their big stone fireplace by lighting the top and then pushing it in as it burned. Well you can imagine the rest of the story. Luckily because of the stone house no damage was done. Other than a lot of soot and several terrified family members.

Christmas Tree
Christmas Tree Tips and Tricks
Holidays and Parties Christmas Decorations TreeDecember 2, 2010
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Peach pits and fruit on white background.
Growing Peach Trees from Pits
Cottonwood Tree
Getting Rid of Cottonwood Roots
Up close photo of a Mimosa tree.
Growing Mimosa Trees