Make Your Own Artificial Christmas Tree

I have an old artificial christmas tree and I would like to make trees from treated straight tree limbs by drilling holes in the tree limbs and inserting the greenery from the artificial tree. I have seen this type tree at Target this year. I would like ideas about duplicating it by recycling my old artificial tree.

Kathy from south Pittsburg, TN

I just finished making my own alpine tree from an old artificial christmas tree. I had my husband cut 2 small pine trees, stripping stripping the limbs to create a bare bark post. One 6 foot and one 4 foot.

I separated the branches from the artifical tree into sizes. Drilled holes in the pine trees, where I wanted to insert the branches. Working from the bottom to the top. I staggered the branches to create the alpine tree look. I used 2 of the larger branches for the top. My alpine trees are beautiful and one of a kind. I used the top of the artificial tree as a small tree, in which i inserted in a nice brass planter. Now I have 3 trees made from one ugly artifical tree.

The first artificial trees were made out of a wood pole with holes drilled in it, the holes were slanted and were kind of staggered. Then the holes at different heights of the tree were painted different colors and the ends of the different lenght branches were painted the appropriate color to put in the right colored hole. This was for putting it together on a yearly basis. The one we had was a really nice looking tree and lasted for twenty years before the holes started getting too big for the branches to fit in properly. Actually as far as fullness goes, I think it was a much nicer looking tree than the ones that are more modern and easier to assemble.

I have made a Christmas tree out of a tomato cage. I turned it upside down and put green rope garland around it, and decorated it the colors that I wanted for that year. sandycrafty1

I had fun last summer making my trio of trees I brought 3 really cheep trees I used the top part of the tree as it was but cut all the lower branches off and put them in to drilled holes in the tree steaks