Snow People from Dryer Vent Tube

These cute snow people or Santas are an inexpensive quick and easy decoration that would make a good holiday gift. I remembered the pumpkins made from dryer vent idea from years ago and made snowmen and Santas. Please read all directions before starting project.

Approximate Time: 2 hours

• 5 1/2 feet of four inch white dryer vent
  • old sweater
  • (3) 2 inch black buttons
  • (2) 2 inch goggle eyes
  • dark red paint for Santa
  • tissue paper or plastic bags
  • misc. buttons, etc. for decoration
  • hot glue gun
  • scissors
  • wire snippers
  • 4-5 inch long slender stick or dowel (to attach head)
  • black felt for Santa belt and boots
  • gold buckle for Santa
  • sewing machine optional
  • 8 inch x 8 inch, piece of 1/4 inch plywood for Santa boots
  • white paint (if Vent has marks)
  • red paint (for Santa)

If the vents have any markings on them you will want to paint them white, or red for the Santas.

1. Cut the vent into one 2 1/2 foot section, one 2 foot section and a 1 foot 3 inch section with wire nippers. Stuff the 2 1/2 foot section with tissue paper or plastic grocery sacks, until stretched out. (Newspaper will show through.)

2. Ad
  3. Bring the two ends together putting one inside the other just enough to hot glue together. Glue together with hot glue gun. Hold the ends or use clips to hold together until it cools.

4. Don't stuff the smaller lengths, just bring their ends together and glue them. The 1 foot length is challenging to connect, just keep working with it. Glue the ends and clamp to avoid burning yourself.
    A 3 inch Styrofoam ball can be substituted for the head, instead of the 1 foot length of dryer vent. The vent is much cheaper, at around .39 a foot vs. $3 for the small Styrofoam ball.

5. Place your 2 foot ring on the 2 1/2 foot ring to get an idea of where they are going to touch. Place glue around one half of the ring at a time. Then quickly place the second ring into the glue and rub around a bit to secure the glue, hold for a few seconds to get a good bond.

6. Ad
  7. Turn around and repeat for the second half.

8. Take the small ring and stick the dowel or stick into it a couple of inches. (If using the Styrofoam just stick it in about an inch.) Add glue where the two join. Now push the other end of the stick or dowel into the top of the second ring of the body leaving the head sticking up a couple of inches.

9. Take a look at your old sweater. (I try to keep in mind what I am using it for when I pick one out. I purchase them at Goodwill for this use for a couple of dollars.) For his hat I cut a sleeve off at the under seam straight across the sleeve, roll back the top to the outside for a cuff and you have a hat; there really is not science to this just have fun and play with his clothes.

10. The neck scarf can be any part of the sweater. The bottom cuff is a natural, don't worry about it unraveling it won't. Cut a piece around 6 inches wide anywhere from the sweater all the way around the width. Start wrapping at the back of the neck, around the front and make a loose knot at one side or in the middle whatever you like. Let the ends hang.

Depending on the sweater you may be able to fringe the ends by slicing up 2 inches every 1/2 inch across the end, then gently tug on the ends, you either will get a kinky fringe or the piece will come off in your fingers in which case you just trim it off. Do one side first to see what happens.
  11. Glue the scarf a little over halfway up the head all the way around leaving the tails free in the front.

12. Glue on the eyes or buttons with the bottom of the eyes just under the top of the scarf.

13. Place the hat on the head leaving just enough room to see about two-thirds of the eyes and glue close to the corners of the eyes, across the top of the eyes and drop the rest of the hat down over the scarf and glue wherever you like it; the sloppier the hat looks, the better. If you want tie a knot in the end of the hat, or bring some of the hat up and glue it just behind the cuff. Play with it and have fun that is the main thing.

14. Ad
  15. If you are making Santa, shape one end of the plywood in two round bumps like the end of his boots. Cut out and cover with black felt, glue on the bottom of your Santa.

I have enclosed several pictures for ideas. Enjoy!

By latrtatr from Loup City, NE

I love these. I wish I had time to make some before the holiday is here. You say it's easy but for me I know I'll get started and have trouble. It's in the back of my mind though to try. Thanks. I hope you win the contest.

These are too cute for words! I especially love the snowmen! Keep up the good work!

Dryer Vent Snowman
Making a Dryer Vent Snowman
Crafts Christmas DecorationsDecember 5, 2009
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice, Man Cleaning Snow and Ice off of Windshield
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice
wild mouse
Keeping Mice Out of a Dryer Vent
Snow Ice Cream
Snow Ice Cream Recipes
Clothes Dryer
Cleaning a Dryer Vent