Pre-lit Christmas Tree Lights Not Working

You plug the tree in but not all the lights are shining. This guide is about pre-lit Christmas tree lights not working.

December 24, 2013 Flag

Here is your solution. Find the non-removable bulb with the white socket. It is the last one on the strand, I believe the "non-replacable" white bulb exists only so that you have to buy a new tree ever four years. :(

You will find that it's blackened or burned and causing your problem.

Wiggle out the bulb, then dig out the socket with a pair of pliers. Be careful not to destroy the socket. Take your time, wiggle it loose. Stick any replacement bulb into that socket and, BAM, your tree will be perfect again!

Top Comment

The GE "constant on" feature is suppose to keep the series of lights working if one or two burn out, however; if the white socket light burns out you can't fix it without voiding their warranty. Who cares! I have lived a couple of years with a section out on my tree and now 3 more sections went out. I bought the lightkeeper pro and found that entire sections had no electrical current but the lights worked when I tested them. So when I pulled the special white socket out and replaced the burnt bulb the section works great.

Just take care not to ruin the white socket when you pull it out. I suggest to gently pull on the bulb, the whole thing may come out easily; if not then pull out the bulb anyways, then unplug the tree and use needle nose pliers to remove the white socket doing as little damage as possible to the white socket itself. Replace with a new bulb and your tree's light section should work just like new!

Top Comment

November 25, 2014 Flag

I need some electrical help! I am trying to replace burnt out bulbs on my tree. However with one row of branches, every time I replace a bulb, the whole branch turns off. I have even tried putting the old burnt bulb back in, the one that still kept the whole strand on the branch working originally, and it still won't turn the rest of the strand on that particular branch back on :(

I gave up on the one branch and found another burnt out bulb on the branch beside it. Guess what happened when I replaced it? Yup, you guess it, I broke the whole strand on that branch too. I thought it was just a fluke and said I'll just throw that end of the tree up against the wall, but I still didn't learn. I found one more burnt out bulb on the next branch over... and yup, I broke that strand too.

Now I'm stuck with 3 dark branches and it stands out, badly. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Please help! This tree is for a unit I work on at the hospital. My good deed is driving me crazy :p

By SincerelyReallyFrustrated

Best Answer

I'm not an expert, but I was having a similar issue and finally broke down and bought a Light Keeper Pro from Home Depot for $20. Problem solved! Very easy to use, and paid for itself within 5 minutes. Now I'm going back to all my old decorations that use mini lights and fixing them, too.

Hope it helps. Good luck!

Best Answer

December 22, 2014 Flag

We bought a pre-lit xmas tree about ten tears ago. We set it up this year and all was well until a week later. We plugged it in and all the lights were out. Any first aid suggestions other than to get another tree?

By Theresa from Chicopee, MA

Best Answer

My prelit tree is 12 years old. I use the light keeper pro and patiently worked from the plug end to the other end of each line of lights on each section. It took me most of a day to replace all the burned out bulbs - I had to replace more than 100 bulbs, but the tree is working. Patience. Patience. I also used a clothes pin to mark the spot where I stopped to replace the bulb.

January 2, 2012 Flag

My pre-lit tree is 2 years old; one section is out and it seems like almost every bulb has blown at once. What causes that?

By Carmine

Best Answer

It may be a fuse in the light set. They have a fuse in the line. Check what kind and most drugstores and walmart sale them. Sometimes you can get one out of another old set of lights.

Best Answer

December 4, 2016 Flag

Why are all the bulbs in one section of my pre-lit Christmas tree burnt out? We tried the bulbs in a working section and none of them lit up. We tried around 10 bulbs and not one of them light up. We looked at and replaced the fuses (2 times) in the bad section and they do not seem to be blown.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

There may be a break in the wire on that section. Insert new bulbs. Maybe that is the problem. Make sure all the bulbs are firmly inserted.

Best Answer

November 29, 2016 Flag

So I have a GE 7.5ft pre lit Christmas tree. It has a foot pedal to control three different settings. What is the foot pedal connector part called? The tree is not lighting up at all. I have replaced all the bulbs and even replaced the connector that the lights plug into. But when I hit the foot pedal to turn it on/off I'm not hearing a click. So needless to say I believe the foot pedal portion needs to be replaced, but can not find anything online. I really don't want to cut them off and replace them if I don't have to.

Best Answer

Shake the little power supply that plugs into the wall. I heard a rattle in mine, so I took it apart and found the wires that go to the prongs that plug into the wall socket are not securely attached. They are just wedged in between the plastic and the prong. That alone is frightening. So I put I just wedged it back in place, and it is working again.

November 30, 2016 Flag

I have a 4 section Sylvania LED tree. The top section, even though it is firmly plugged in, comes on and off. It's only three years old and well taken care of (no kids). I realize the contact is wanky, but how do I fix it? The contacts are inline in the pole, similar to rca plugs. Each section just slides into the next automatically plugging in. Thanks!

Did you get your tree working. I have the same problem and the tree is only 3 years old. The first 2 sections worked and then when I plugged in the top piece it sounded like it popped and the other 2 sections went out. When I remove the top piece it worked again. But it is very frustrating this type of power in the pole.

October 18, 2016 Flag

What if there is no white socket light?

How is it that one strand of lights can be out, when it's obvious that current is going through it

November 28, 2016 Flag

How do I get my prelit Christmas tree lights in sync?

My preliminary tree is plug in but not all lights r working

November 15, 2010 Flag

The clear lights on the top part of my pre-lit tree are dim. What can I do?

By Anthony from RI

Best Answer

I was just told that the 'non-replaceable' bulb has a built in fuse. When the fuse blows, they purposely don't want you to be able to remove the bulb and white base for safety reasons. That's apparently why they say replace the whole string.

That said, it seems to me that the bulb could blow without the fuse blowing. I'm assuming that the bulb in the white socket is the same as all the others. (True?). But you can't replace that bulb if you can't get the white base out of socket! Some folks have talked about forcing the base out and replacing the bulb that way, but I think you're asking for safety issues.... 'you're playing with fire'... maybe literally! :) Any time you try to bypass or play with a designed safety mechanism you're asking for trouble. You're in an unknown area where you are using something in a way which it was not designed to be used.

Bottom line, to me at least, is that all these light sets on prelit trees (and loose strings too) are not meant to last forever. Some, maybe all, of these light strings have labels that say they are only to be used for 90 days! So putting an unremoveable fused base in a light string serves the purpose of making sure that these lights are not used 'forever' and are taken out of service after a while: Either when the fuse blows or when the bulb in that base burns out.

Best Answer

November 30, 2016 Flag

I have a small mini pre-lit tree that has only one strand of lights on it. Half the section has blown out (bulbs had black parts surrounding the inside). I tried the Light Keeper Pro and it didn't work. I ended up replacing every bulb and the lights came back on. A few days later they stopped working again and I noticed all the bulbs had black on the inside again. What could be causing all the bulbs to blow at once? Any suggestions (besides stripping all the lights off and adding a new strand (which would be a brutal step).

Load More
Holidays and Parties Christmas Decorations LightsDecember 5, 2012
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Family Working on Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Oregon Zoolights
Saving Money on Christmas Lights
🎉
🎄