Browsing: Pre-lit Christmas Tree Lights Not Working

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Pre-lit Christmas Tree Lights Not Working

You plug the tree in but not all the lights are shining. This guide is about pre-lit Christmas tree lights not working.

Artificial Christmas Tree
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 24, 2013 Flag

Here is your solution. Find the non-removable bulb with the white socket. It is the last one on the strand, I believe the "non-replacable" white bulb exists only so that you have to buy a new tree ever four years. :(

You will find that it's blackened or burned and causing your problem.

Wiggle out the bulb, then dig out the socket with a pair of pliers. Be careful not to destroy the socket. Take your time, wiggle it loose. Stick any replacement bulb into that socket and, BAM, your tree will be perfect again!

January 2, 2012 Flag

My pre-lit tree is 2 years old; one section is out and it seems like almost every bulb has blown at once. What causes that?

By Carmine

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

It is very important to make certain that none of the bulbs are loose. That is usually the problem. They can become loosened in shipment or just getting them out of the box and putting them up. If you have ONE bad bulb and it's still in tight, the others will remain lit, and of course check the fuses in the plug, if all else fails...

I had the same problem with my tree last year. In each string there is a master bulb. If it goes out, all others on that string will go out with no ability to fix that bulb. It is a permanent bulb. Mine is marked from the factory with a white ring around the base. We contacted the manufacturer and they initially offered to send me a new string. (They are individually identified by number) I complained that the reason I bought a pre lit tree was because I did not want to string it myself in the first place. They gave me a number to give to Lowes and the tree was replaced for free.

However, now my new tree has two strings out.

November 15, 2010 Flag

The clear lights on the top part of my pre-lit tree are dim. What can I do?

By Anthony from RI

I kept losing sections of my pre-lit tree. I found the each section contained one bulb with a white base. Each one of these bulbs appeared to be burnt out (black on the inside). Once I removed the bulb the entire section would come back to life.

The easiest way I found to remove the bulb was to first muscle the bulb out of the base. Do this by twisting the bulb back and forth while pulling the bulb out. It may take a bit but the entire bulb will come out. Now your stuck with the base still in the socket.

For whatever reason it appears they don't want you to be able to replace these. Now take a cork screw (ya I know it sounds funny) and screw it into the white socket. Pull it out just like opening a bottle of wine. The lights will instantly light up. I used to replace the bulb with a regular replacement bulb but found it is very difficult to reinstall the white base fully. So now I just leave the socket empty. Good Luck

I have the Trim-A-Tree9 with GE bulbs. Same problem described, except that I had three of the white-base bulbs appeared to be burned. I pulled one apart and confirmed the bulb was dead with a multimeter. I went to Ace Hardware to find a replacement. Problem is there was no data on the bulb, so I used a regular replacement bulb without a base and something interesting happened. The lights came on, but that new bulb blew out immediately.

I found two more white-base bulbs that appeared burned and did the same procedure. Same results. But, the rest of the tree lights up. I am worried that those white-base bulbs may be surge protection, but what a crappy design. The fuses in the plug are supposed to provide that protection. If this tree fails again, I'll replace it with a regular tree and then buy LED lights. Note to GE: Is this really the best you can do?

December 22, 2014 Flag

We bought a pre-lit xmas tree about ten tears ago. We set it up this year and all was well until a week later. We plugged it in and all the lights were out. Any first aid suggestions other than to get another tree?

By Theresa from Chicopee, MA

Are you referring to the GE "constant on" tree? If so, I have found a solution after hours and hours of messing with it!!

My prelit tree is 12 years old. I use the light keeper pro and patiently worked from the plug end to the other end of each line of lights on each section. It took me most of a day to replace all the burned out bulbs - I had to replace more than 100 bulbs, but the tree is working. Patience. Patience. I also used a clothes pin to mark the spot where I stopped to replace the bulb.

November 30, 2014 Flag

I have a pre-lit tree that is about 3 or 4 years old. I put it together and plugged it in. None of the lights work? How do I fix it?

By Liz

My solution would be to buy a couple 100 count strings of cheap lights and put them on the tree.

I'm still searching for a solution to the same problem you are facing. From what I found so far, there can be 3 causes for this issue:

1. Plugs in each section of the tree are not connected in the correct sequence.

2. Each plug in the tree has a small fuse compartment which you may have never noticed before. If fuse is black or looks burned, it needs to be replaced.

3. It could be a bad light bulb in a section of the tree. One bad light bulb can cause a whole section to not light up. To detect the bad bulb, you need something like Lightkeeper Pro which also comes with spare light bulbs. Sold on Amazon, Target or Home Depot.

December 11, 2015 Flag

Our pre-lit "Barcana" artificial Xmas tree is 10 years old, and has functioned very well until this year. I just noticed that a section of the lower part of the tree doesn't light, although the rest of the tree does. I also saw that almost all the mini-bulbs in that section are burned out. I replaced maybe 30 of the bulbs, using the correct 2.5 volt bulbs. On the last one, the section lit up, but it was abnormally bright, lasted maybe 3 seconds, then went out. Most of the new replacement bulbs were burned out. What seems to be happening is, that section of lights is drawing too much current for the bulbs, but not enough to burn the fuse; i.e., the bulbs are acting like fuses. Anyone know what is happening here, and what I can do to fix it?

It occurred to me that maybe each section of lights begins with a fuse-bulb, a bulb that is also a fuse. I have had this with older light sets I used to use. If that bulb blew and wasn't replaced with a fuse-bulb (it has a thicker filament inside it), then maybe too much electricity goes through to the rest of the bulbs in the section. If you can find fuse-bulbs to buy, maybe that will solve your problem. Also check the wiring to see if there's a damaged or shorted-out section somewhere.

If you can't find the reason, you could add a short string of lights in that section to replace the ones that won't light, and at least the tree lights will look full again. From what I've heard, you were very lucky the lights lasted without problems for as long as they did.

November 25, 2014 Flag

I need some electrical help! I am trying to replace burnt out bulbs on my tree. However with one row of branches, every time I replace a bulb, the whole branch turns off. I have even tried putting the old burnt bulb back in, the one that still kept the whole strand on the branch working originally, and it still won't turn the rest of the strand on that particular branch back on :(

I gave up on the one branch and found another burnt out bulb on the branch beside it. Guess what happened when I replaced it? Yup, you guess it, I broke the whole strand on that branch too. I thought it was just a fluke and said I'll just throw that end of the tree up against the wall, but I still didn't learn. I found one more burnt out bulb on the next branch over... and yup, I broke that strand too.

Now I'm stuck with 3 dark branches and it stands out, badly. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Please help! This tree is for a unit I work on at the hospital. My good deed is driving me crazy :p

By SincerelyReallyFrustrated

I saw the answer above and purchase the Light Keeper Pro from Home Depot for $20+tax. Just as above Problem solved! Very easy to use, and paid for itself within 5 minutes. There were 9 bulbs out with 3 burnt shunts (keeping the string dead). It would have taken an hour to solve if I was able to get them all out of the string. Wow.

I, too, purchased a LightKeeper Pro, but it doesn't take care of burnt out bulbs! And does anyone know why an entire string burns out? I have a pre-lit tree with multiple strings where all of the bulbs look burnt out. I did not plug in anything extra that would draw current. Does anyone have a solution other than stringing new lights?! Please help!

December 6, 2015 Flag

My dog chewed the wire on the bottom strand of lights on our prelit tree. Can we unplug this strand from the one it's connected to and replace it with a new strand?

Yes you can. My dog didn't eat the lights but the middle section of our prelit tree did not light this year. I bought a matching color bulbs string of lights at the drug store. I unplugged the broken lights at both ends and put the new string in its place. I left the old broken string on the tree. I was afraid I would ruin the tree if I tried to cut it off. When the tree is lit, you don't see the old string.

December 2, 2013 Flag

Where can I find replacement bulbs that have a tapered end so they will slide all the way into the socket and fit the string of lights on my Xmas tree? It is a Noble fir purchased from Frontgate.

Load More
Holidays and Parties Christmas Decorations LightsDecember 5, 2012
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Family Working on Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Oregon Zoolights
Saving Money on Christmas Lights
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 21, 2016 at 12:18:13 PM on 10.0.1.149 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.