Pre-lit Christmas Tree Lights Not Working

You plug the tree in but not all the lights are shining. This guide is about pre-lit Christmas tree lights not working.

December 24, 2013 Flag

Here is your solution. Find the non-removable bulb with the white socket. It is the last one on the strand, I believe the "non-replacable" white bulb exists only so that you have to buy a new tree ever four years. :(

You will find that it's blackened or burned and causing your problem.

Wiggle out the bulb, then dig out the socket with a pair of pliers. Be careful not to destroy the socket. Take your time, wiggle it loose. Stick any replacement bulb into that socket and, BAM, your tree will be perfect again!

We have a GE prelit tree from Costco. We tried to figure out why so many branch lights went out. We found the 'unremovable' white rimmed bulbs and pulled them out. Some came out whole, others bulbs wire broke and the white interior was removed with a needle nose pilar, with tree unplugged.

When we plugged tree back in most of the strands were working. The problem plug that didn't bring the lights back on was not making the connection inside the plug like the other removed plugs did, so with a small screw driver and the lights power off, we carefully pushed the connectors inside so they touched and voila' our tree had all the lights back on.

On a 9 ft tree there are about 7 of these 'special' bulbs. Baa Humbug to GE. We don't have to buy another tree. Hope this helps you.

October 18, 2016 Flag

What if there is no white socket light?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 2, 2012 Flag

My pre-lit tree is 2 years old; one section is out and it seems like almost every bulb has blown at once. What causes that?

By Carmine

Best Answer

It may be a fuse in the light set. They have a fuse in the line. Check what kind and most drugstores and walmart sale them. Sometimes you can get one out of another old set of lights.

Best Answer

November 15, 2010 Flag

The clear lights on the top part of my pre-lit tree are dim. What can I do?

By Anthony from RI

I kept losing sections of my pre-lit tree. I found the each section contained one bulb with a white base. Each one of these bulbs appeared to be burnt out (black on the inside). Once I removed the bulb the entire section would come back to life.

The easiest way I found to remove the bulb was to first muscle the bulb out of the base. Do this by twisting the bulb back and forth while pulling the bulb out. It may take a bit but the entire bulb will come out. Now your stuck with the base still in the socket.

For whatever reason it appears they don't want you to be able to replace these. Now take a cork screw (ya I know it sounds funny) and screw it into the white socket. Pull it out just like opening a bottle of wine. The lights will instantly light up. I used to replace the bulb with a regular replacement bulb but found it is very difficult to reinstall the white base fully. So now I just leave the socket empty. Good Luck

December 22, 2014 Flag

We bought a pre-lit xmas tree about ten tears ago. We set it up this year and all was well until a week later. We plugged it in and all the lights were out. Any first aid suggestions other than to get another tree?

By Theresa from Chicopee, MA

Are you referring to the GE "constant on" tree? If so, I have found a solution after hours and hours of messing with it!!

November 30, 2014 Flag

I have a pre-lit tree that is about 3 or 4 years old. I put it together and plugged it in. None of the lights work? How do I fix it?

By Liz

My solution would be to buy a couple 100 count strings of cheap lights and put them on the tree.

November 25, 2014 Flag

I need some electrical help! I am trying to replace burnt out bulbs on my tree. However with one row of branches, every time I replace a bulb, the whole branch turns off. I have even tried putting the old burnt bulb back in, the one that still kept the whole strand on the branch working originally, and it still won't turn the rest of the strand on that particular branch back on :(

I gave up on the one branch and found another burnt out bulb on the branch beside it. Guess what happened when I replaced it? Yup, you guess it, I broke the whole strand on that branch too. I thought it was just a fluke and said I'll just throw that end of the tree up against the wall, but I still didn't learn. I found one more burnt out bulb on the next branch over... and yup, I broke that strand too.

Now I'm stuck with 3 dark branches and it stands out, badly. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Please help! This tree is for a unit I work on at the hospital. My good deed is driving me crazy :p

By SincerelyReallyFrustrated

I saw the answer above and purchase the Light Keeper Pro from Home Depot for $20+tax. Just as above Problem solved! Very easy to use, and paid for itself within 5 minutes. There were 9 bulbs out with 3 burnt shunts (keeping the string dead). It would have taken an hour to solve if I was able to get them all out of the string. Wow.

December 11, 2015 Flag

Our pre-lit "Barcana" artificial Xmas tree is 10 years old, and has functioned very well until this year. I just noticed that a section of the lower part of the tree doesn't light, although the rest of the tree does. I also saw that almost all the mini-bulbs in that section are burned out. I replaced maybe 30 of the bulbs, using the correct 2.5 volt bulbs. On the last one, the section lit up, but it was abnormally bright, lasted maybe 3 seconds, then went out. Most of the new replacement bulbs were burned out. What seems to be happening is, that section of lights is drawing too much current for the bulbs, but not enough to burn the fuse; i.e., the bulbs are acting like fuses. Anyone know what is happening here, and what I can do to fix it?

It occurred to me that maybe each section of lights begins with a fuse-bulb, a bulb that is also a fuse. I have had this with older light sets I used to use. If that bulb blew and wasn't replaced with a fuse-bulb (it has a thicker filament inside it), then maybe too much electricity goes through to the rest of the bulbs in the section. If you can find fuse-bulbs to buy, maybe that will solve your problem. Also check the wiring to see if there's a damaged or shorted-out section somewhere.

If you can't find the reason, you could add a short string of lights in that section to replace the ones that won't light, and at least the tree lights will look full again. From what I've heard, you were very lucky the lights lasted without problems for as long as they did.

December 6, 2015 Flag

My dog chewed the wire on the bottom strand of lights on our prelit tree. Can we unplug this strand from the one it's connected to and replace it with a new strand?

Yes you can. My dog didn't eat the lights but the middle section of our prelit tree did not light this year. I bought a matching color bulbs string of lights at the drug store. I unplugged the broken lights at both ends and put the new string in its place. I left the old broken string on the tree. I was afraid I would ruin the tree if I tried to cut it off. When the tree is lit, you don't see the old string.

December 2, 2013 Flag

Where can I find replacement bulbs that have a tapered end so they will slide all the way into the socket and fit the string of lights on my Xmas tree? It is a Noble fir purchased from Frontgate.

By Laury

I have the same problem. We're late getting started with some of the indoor decorations for guest coming through this week but I noticed I have the a similar socket and the exact same kind of bulbs. I've been looking all over the internet and haven't found anything. Let me know if you find a manufacturer that at least sells the bulbs. I only have a few out and would like to replace them. As a kind of band-aid we strung lights around the tree to fill in the ones that are out. If I find replacements before you all I will list all of the information and website or company to get them from. If I can't then next year we may in the market for a new pre-lit tree. If that happens I will make sure the bulbs are close to standard and get extras...

December 10, 2014 Flag

Christmas tree light manufacturers claim that if one light goes out the rest stay lit, this is not true. I have at least 20 sets with this claim that don't work including 2 prelit trees, why?

By scw

Do you take them back?

Write, phone or email the manufacturer, Point out the problem and say that you are confident they will reimburse you.

Go back to the shop. Be very polite and pleasant, If you can have a leaflet from Citizens Advice ( or U.S. equivalent) on the top of your bag it might help. Never, ever lose your rag!

It doesn't always work but worth a try - why should we put up with stuff that isn't fit for purpose? If we don't tell them they'll keep on churning it out.

They say the English don't complain - watch me. :) Marg.

December 7, 2009 Flag

No one seemed to understand the problem with my pre-lit Christmas tree. Anyway my tree has a main hot wire that runs up the center of the tree. The tree also has lots of plug-in ones that will connect to the main wire on each section...

Load More
Holidays and Parties Christmas Decorations LightsDecember 5, 2012
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Family Working on Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Oregon Zoolights
Saving Money on Christmas Lights