Pre-lit Christmas Tree Lights Not Working

You plug the tree in but not all the lights are shining. This guide is about pre-lit Christmas tree lights not working.

Artificial Christmas Tree
Filter Sort

Question: Pre-lit Tree Lights Not Working

By Anthony 1

The clear lights on the top part of my pre-lit tree are dim. What can I do?

By Anthony from RI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

December 9, 2012 Flag

I have the Trim-A-Tree9 with GE bulbs. Same problem described, except that I had three of the white-base bulbs appeared to be burned. I pulled one apart and confirmed the bulb was dead with a multimeter. I went to Ace Hardware to find a replacement. Problem is there was no data on the bulb, so I used a regular replacement bulb without a base and something interesting happened. The lights came on, but that new bulb blew out immediately.

I found two more white-base bulbs that appeared burned and did the same procedure. Same results. But, the rest of the tree lights up. I am worried that those white-base bulbs may be surge protection, but what a crappy design. The fuses in the plug are supposed to provide that protection. If this tree fails again, I'll replace it with a regular tree and then buy LED lights. Note to GE: Is this really the best you can do?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Fixing Pre-Lit Christmas Tree

By DrFriedrichs 1

Here is your solution. Find the non-removable bulb with the white socket. It is the last one on the strand, I believe the "non-replacable" white bulb exists only so that you have to buy a new tree ever four years. :(

You will find that it's blackened or burned and causing your problem.

Wiggle out the bulb, then dig out the socket with a pair of pliers. Be careful not to destroy the socket. Take your time, wiggle it loose. Stick any replacement bulb into that socket and, BAM, your tree will be perfect again!

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Some Lights Out on Pre-lit Tree

By True Progressive 1

Our pre-lit "Barcana" artificial Xmas tree is 10 years old, and has functioned very well until this year. I just noticed that a section of the lower part of the tree doesn't light, although the rest of the tree does. I also saw that almost all the mini-bulbs in that section are burned out. I replaced maybe 30 of the bulbs, using the correct 2.5 volt bulbs. On the last one, the section lit up, but it was abnormally bright, lasted maybe 3 seconds, then went out. Most of the new replacement bulbs were burned out. What seems to be happening is, that section of lights is drawing too much current for the bulbs, but not enough to burn the fuse; i.e., the bulbs are acting like fuses. Anyone know what is happening here, and what I can do to fix it?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Pixiedust7 7 897 Flag

It occurred to me that maybe each section of lights begins with a fuse-bulb, a bulb that is also a fuse. I have had this with older light sets I used to use. If that bulb blew and wasn't replaced with a fuse-bulb (it has a thicker filament inside it), then maybe too much electricity goes through to the rest of the bulbs in the section. If you can find fuse-bulbs to buy, maybe that will solve your problem. Also check the wiring to see if there's a damaged or shorted-out section somewhere.

If you can't find the reason, you could add a short string of lights in that section to replace the ones that won't light, and at least the tree lights will look full again. From what I've heard, you were very lucky the lights lasted without problems for as long as they did.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Replacing a Strand of Lights on Pre-lit Tree

By Alice 1

My dog chewed the wire on the bottom strand of lights on our prelit tree. Can we unplug this strand from the one it's connected to and replace it with a new strand?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Cisco's Mom 15 148 Flag

Yes you can. My dog didn't eat the lights but the middle section of our prelit tree did not light this year. I bought a matching color bulbs string of lights at the drug store. I unplugged the broken lights at both ends and put the new string in its place. I left the old broken string on the tree. I was afraid I would ruin the tree if I tried to cut it off. When the tree is lit, you don't see the old string.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Pre-lit Tree Not Working Properly

By Laura Linse W. 1

When I plug my tree in, the tree lights up and then flashes right off. But a good thing is all of the lights do light up. I am not sure what is going on. Thanks for any ideas.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Pre-lit Christmas Tree Lights Intermittent

By Linda 1

I have a tree where 2 sections of lights go on and off. Any ideas what could cause this?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Pre-lit Christmas Tree Bulbs Not Working

My pre-lit tree is 2 years old; one section is out and it seems like almost every bulb has blown at once. What causes that?

By Carmine

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By HAPPYINHARNED 14 193 Flag

It may be a fuse in the light set. They have a fuse in the line. Check what kind and most drugstores and walmart sale them. Sometimes you can get one out of another old set of lights.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Pat Phillips 3 72 Flag

It is very important to make certain that none of the bulbs are loose. That is usually the problem. They can become loosened in shipment or just getting them out of the box and putting them up. If you have ONE bad bulb and it's still in tight, the others will remain lit, and of course check the fuses in the plug, if all else fails...

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Christmas Tree Replacement Light Bulbs

Where can I find replacement bulbs that have a tapered end so they will slide all the way into the socket and fit the string of lights on my Xmas tree? It is a Noble fir purchased from Frontgate.

By Laury

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Debbie Lacey S. 1 Flag

10 Pack 2.5v Slotted Base Clear Replacement Christmas Light Bulbs.....key word is "slotted". You can buy from Amazon.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

I have a pre-lit tree and noticed that some of the lights are out and have turned black. Does that mean that I need to replace that strand? Can you do that on these?

By pj

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Marjorie 13 10 Flag

I have a pre lite tree that I have had for about 4 years. This year the middle section would not lite up. I just added a small string of lights to the middle and left the non working ones on the tree. You cannot even notice them once the other decorations are put on the tree.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Trouble Connecting Lights on a Pre-lit Christmas Tree

By Reba 1 1

No one seemed to understand the problem with my pre-lit Christmas tree. Anyway my tree has a main hot wire that runs up the center of the tree. The tree also has lots of plug-in ones that will connect to the main wire on each section, then the other plug-ins that will connect to each other so each section will burn.

My problem is getting the main one plugged in the right socket so I can work my way up the tree. All fuses and lights are OK. Will someone give me some idea how to get all these plugged in? Or tell me which one plugs to the main hot wire on each section? There are no color codes on the plug-in. Thanks

By Reba from Bristol

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Melinda Oandasan 1 Flag

I did what redhatterb suggested, but then I made a diagram showing which branch numbers get plugged into the tree plug and which get plugged into the previous branch's plug. I keep this diagram in my tree storage container in a plastic sleeve. It's made putting the tree up each year much easier.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

I have a pre-lit tree that is about 3 or 4 years old. I put it together and plugged it in. None of the lights work? How do I fix it?

By Liz

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By ajumma 1 Flag

I'm still searching for a solution to the same problem you are facing. From what I found so far, there can be 3 causes for this issue:

1. Plugs in each section of the tree are not connected in the correct sequence.

2. Each plug in the tree has a small fuse compartment which you may have never noticed before. If fuse is black or looks burned, it needs to be replaced.

3. It could be a bad light bulb in a section of the tree. One bad light bulb can cause a whole section to not light up. To detect the bad bulb, you need something like Lightkeeper Pro which also comes with spare light bulbs. Sold on Amazon, Target or Home Depot.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Malfunctioning Pre-lit Tree

I need some electrical help! I am trying to replace burnt out bulbs on my tree. However with one row of branches, every time I replace a bulb, the whole branch turns off. I have even tried putting the old burnt bulb back in, the one that still kept the whole strand on the branch working originally, and it still won't turn the rest of the strand on that particular branch back on :(

I gave up on the one branch and found another burnt out bulb on the branch beside it. Guess what happened when I replaced it? Yup, you guess it, I broke the whole strand on that branch too. I thought it was just a fluke and said I'll just throw that end of the tree up against the wall, but I still didn't learn. I found one more burnt out bulb on the next branch over... and yup, I broke that strand too.

Now I'm stuck with 3 dark branches and it stands out, badly. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Please help! This tree is for a unit I work on at the hospital. My good deed is driving me crazy :p

By SincerelyReallyFrustrated

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Leonidas 1 Flag

I, too, purchased a LightKeeper Pro, but it doesn't take care of burnt out bulbs! And does anyone know why an entire string burns out? I have a pre-lit tree with multiple strings where all of the bulbs look burnt out. I did not plug in anything extra that would draw current. Does anyone have a solution other than stringing new lights?! Please help!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Repairing a Prelit Christmas Tree

By Molly C-N 2

My mama left me her pre-lit Christmas tree and her lifetime collection of antique ornaments. So, needless to say, I'm willing to do whatever it takes (short of setting my house on fire!), to fix this tree.

Anyway, last year when I plugged in the tree only 3, yes 3 sections of lights lit up. Please understand, 3 limbs "did not" light. Only 3 small sections out of about 500 limbs! At that point I went searching and found what I consider to be one of the hidden wonders of the world, "the Christmas Light Fixer Gun". And it was wonderful! It fixed "every" light on the tree with the exception of one portion of the very last limb on the bottom of the tree.

So, this year I was ready "to do battle" with my trusty fix-it gun. What a disaster! Part of the lights on limb sections would burn, half wouldn't. Various lights on various sections of limbs got "really" bright then burned out completely, some of the bulbs themselves were fine when I tested them, others were black in the center and completely blown to kingdom come. You should also know this tree has 16 strands of lights that all meet at the bottom of the tree. They don't plug in to separate outlets on the "trunk" of the tree. All strands of lights provide converge at the base of the tree.

I'm already facing one problem, the replacement bulbs I have, don't have wires long enough to fit in the green husk. Any information anybody can give me will be incredibly welcome. I do have one more question. Is there any such thing as a complete replacement light kit to replace the lights throughout the entire tree? Thank you for your time and hopefully your suggestions!

By Molly C-N

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

I would toss the tree (or donate it) and get a new one. The antique ornaments are worth cherishing; this tree sounds like more trouble than is worth to you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Pre-lit Christmas Tree Lights Keep Going Off and On

The top section of my newly bought tree keeps going on and off. It seems when they are on and I try to adjust the branches the lights go off. Then when they go on again they stay on indefinitely as long as I don't touch the branches. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By Celeste O.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Anthony G. 1 Flag

While it is common to hear the term 'short' in the wiring, it is often used incorrectly by laymen and when they mean exactly the opposite of a short; a short would be a connection in a place it is not intended, and would probably blow out fuses, circuit breakers before it causes a fire. While it may help pass over the problem quickly with afternoon tea and biscuits, in a technical or troubleshooting discussion, it should not be used incorrectly. In this instance, nothing said indicates a short. Rather, it sounds like an opening in the wiring or a poor connection at a junction. Wiggling the wires should help you find the area with the poor or open connection.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Problems Getting Pre-lit Tree to Light

By Liz L. 1

Is there a certain way to plug pre-lit Christmas trees in.

By liz from Idaho

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Linda Lou Whitfield F. 6 31 Flag

I'm beginning to hate my pre-lit tree 8). But this year we bought one of those 'guns' that you can use to 'restart' the lights. They have helped with about half of the un-lit strands. It's called a "Light Keeper Pro". Can't remember the cost, but well worth it! Found it at the big box store.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Lights Not Working on Pre-lit Tree

We bought a pre-lit xmas tree about ten tears ago. We set it up this year and all was well until a week later. We plugged it in and all the lights were out. Any first aid suggestions other than to get another tree?

By Theresa from Chicopee, MA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

I would be interesting in finding out if anyone actually gets the lights lit on their pre lit trees when theyhave problems like yours. Please post the solution if you find one. From reading this forum, though, I think 10 years for a pre-lit tree is pretty good!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Christmas Tree Lights Not Working

Christmas tree light manufacturers claim that if one light goes out the rest stay lit, this is not true. I have at least 20 sets with this claim that don't work including 2 prelit trees, why?

By scw

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Glammom2 1 Flag

Buy the "Light Keeper Pro!" I thought it first it was a gimmick, but it works fantastically. It's like a little gun and you shoot it into the socket of light strand - it actually clears the current. It is a must especially with these pre-lit Christmas trees. We found ours at English gardens. But check online just Google and you'll be able to find other retailers that sell it ... sometimes drugstores have it too I would not have pre-lit trees or Christmas lights without it. My husband thought it was a joke, until it cleared out areas of lights not working on our pre-lit tree.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Pre-lit Tree Problems

Our tree is three years old and pre-lit. One round of lights will suddenly get extremely bright and burn out. I have replaced several rounds and this works for awhile. Today however one round got really bright and boom whole round went out.

By Chris S. from Ashland, OH

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

Someone else posted an answer to this as a tip itself. Just so you know, there is an answer.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Lights Not Lighting on Pre-lit Tree

I have a 7ft. clear light, pre-lit tree. Every year it seems there is a problem. Last year it was the top, this year the top and bottom do not light. It has 800 lights on it. Anyone have any quick fix to find the culprit bulb(s)? If I have to check every bulb I will miss Christmas and a good part of 2013.

By Moe C

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Linda 45 303 Flag

You can buy a 'bulb and string light checker' at any hardware type store. It has 'saved' several strings of lights we have. It's called a Light Keeper. Works pretty good - you'll at least get your money's worth.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Pre-lit Christmas Tree from Michael's Not Completely Lit

I need to know how to plug all the tiers in, in sequence, so the whole tree lights. I have every other tier lit, but I think it's because of the connections being plugged in wrong.

It is a 7.5 foot Jersey pine by GE.

By Brad S.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sue Charlton M. 1 Flag

You may want to make sure all the fuses in the plugs are good. I change mine every year to be sure I have all new fuses.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Some of the Lights on Prelit Tree Not Blinking

By Deborah 1

My prelit Christmas tree lights are all lit, but the top layer does not blink on and off like the two lower layers. How can I fix this?

By Deborah from Gates, NC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Julie 3 86 Flag

They make replacement bulbs that are "blinkers". All you need is one to make the string "blink".

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: LED Tree Lights Are Intermittent

By Lee 1

I have a pre-lit Christmas tree with LED lights. One small section of the lights will light up but then go off for a few minutes. They will then come back on for a short period of time and go off again. Any clues as to what is causing this and how it can be fixed?

By Lee from NC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Jan Yofee 12 65 Flag

When lights get too hot that trips the fuse until it cools off again. That's all I know about it. I'd contact the manufacturer if you can find them. If they are made in China, that's a good reason to buy American.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Pre-Lit Christmas Tree Has a Short

By Sara 1

We have a pre-lit Christmas tree that has worked for years beautifully, but this year the whole tree has been going out on us. The first time it happened we figured it was the main 5 amp fuse. We bought another and we were right, it lit again beautifully, but only for 1 day.

We again put in a new fuse and have found that the tree will light for a few hours and then everything goes off. As soon as I change the main fuse it goes on again. Obviously we must have some sort of short somewhere but how do I find it?

By Sara from NJ

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Gail McNamara Romano 1 13 Flag

We had the same problem with our prelit Christmas tree. I spent hours trying to find the problem. Finally my Irish temper got the better of me and I removed the light sets (time consuming). I bought individual light sets and just placed them on the tree. The newer sets have a v in the wire that just sit on the branches. I put the tree away with the light sets still on them and they were fine the next year!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Short on Pre-lit Christmas Tree

I have a 3 year old pre-lit Christmas tree and about half of the lights are completely out. When I took it back to the store, I was told that you must replace any defective bulb, otherwise, more power will be sent to all the other bulbs on the string and they, too, will burn out.

The store is saying that this caused a short in the wiring, and it cannot be fixed. I don't find this explanation credible. Does anyone have any insight on this?

By Tom

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

Here is my insight: You are most probably hitting a wall on this one. Most of these billions of electric trees are mass produced somewhere in China or thereabouts, with the lowest cost workers and materials, etc. You can be sure that no one here really knows (or cares about) anything about a particular tree's wiring, etc., as even the trees in one store may be from many different producers somewhere.

However, if you bought an expensive tree from an expensive source, you may have some say in a disagreement.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Pre-lit LED Artificial Tree Light Dim

I just got a pre-lit artificial tree that was a display from Walmart. (Winchester Spruce) There was no box or instructions. When I plug the tree in, the lights are extremely dim. Is there a dimmer switch I'm not finding or is something else causing this?

By Melissa B.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

There are many manufacturers of holiday trees and who knows how many design differences. You can have an electrician check the tree and provide an estimate to fix it. However, this may be more than your tree is worth.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Lights on Pre-lit Tree Not Working

I have a 10 ft. 700 clear, 500 multi light pre-lit tree. It has 4 sections that connect with 4 prong connectors and screw tight. It has a function box before the cord that allowed it to turn on, on with clear lights (steady), on with colored lights (steady), all lights on steady, or on with all lights strobe. I think that the box is defective. It is permanently attached. The company is no longer in business. I have replaced the fuse in the plug, even though it was still good. The box does not work at all. Sometimes, if I plug it in the clear lights go on. I have had it on for a week, afraid to unplug it. Can I have an electrician cut the box off and reconnect the cord? Or would that completely ruin the tree?

By Sandy A.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

An electrician can check the tree's electric set up and provide a recommendation for repair. You then must decide if it is cheaper to have the electrician fix the problem or buy a new tree.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Painting Christmas Tree Light Wire

I have a pre-lit white Christmas tree. One row went out. I tried the Light Pro Fixer thing, no help. I bought a 50 green wire strand ($2.28). I changed all the bulbs and fuses, still nothing. So, I decided after transferring all the bulbs back to the new green wire strand to put that where the lights were out. Since I have a white tree the green wire really stands out. Can you spray paint the wire white? Or what are your ideas please. Obviously, for next year. Thank you.

By April C.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Dale K. 2 Flag

I was just thinking how about white out painted on the wires? I know it sticks to a lot of materials.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Tree Lights Not Working

I have a 9 ft prelit tree, expensive, but worth it. I would rather replace the lights than get a new tree, which is $900- over a $1000.00. The tree is fine, it is just some of the lights. The tree is so big it is hard to find where the problem is. I have put short strands on the tree where lights go out. It seems like more each year. Are there any people who can redo all the light on a tree?

By Bernadette

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie 32 892 Flag

I feel sure there are people "somewhere" who replace lights on these pre-lit trees but I have not found them. Probably expensive work. I have used a 9 foot tree for several years and so far - very few problems. It is always handled very carefully but who knows when a problem will arise? I would do a lot of research for how to repair.

You can Google your question or maybe just ask:

how to redo or repair lights on a 9 foot pre-lit tree?

Lots of information on the web.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Not All Pre-lit Christmas Tree Lights Working

I have a pre lit tree. Some of the lights are not working. When I replace them, the new bulbs are very dim. On the same strand, other lights are working fine. Any idea?

By D. Reed

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Arlene Dennis T. 1 Flag

Our tree did same, replacement bulbs very dim. Solution is to use "super bright" replacements according to paperwork that came with tree. We bought, unknowingly, bulbs from Walmart that were "light keeper PRO. Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dim Lights on Pre-lit Tree

I have a 2 year old pre-lit tree from Lowe's. All three sections of lights seem very dim this year. Any ideas on why?

By John

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Replacing Bulbs on a Pre-lite Tree

Can you replace clear bulbs with colored bulbs on a pre-lit tree?

By Hansen

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

As far as I know, you can use any replacement bulbs that fit.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Partially Working Lights on Pre-lit Tree

I have a four section pre-lit LED Xmas tree. After five years, the top two sections remain fully lit. On the bottom two, some branches light up and some don't. If a bulb is removed from a branch that lights up, the rest of the lights stay on. Each plug for each section lights up some branches. I have changed out the fuses in each plug and still some branches don't light up. I have checked the wires and can't find any damage. Any suggestions?

By Randall

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lisa Stewart 5 Flag

When we've had that problem in the past, it has been a burned out bulb or a bulb that was not pushed in all the way somewhere in the unlit part.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: No Lights Working on Pre-lit Tree

I have a female plug at the bottom with no male to plug into it. The tree is 3 sections; the middle has all the outlets.

By Mary D

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb 1 672 Flag

Have you used the tree before and has it worked. Someplace on the bottom tier there has to be a male plug. When I put my tree together, I always plug in the bottom layer, then when I do the next layer, I know when I get the next layer plugged in just right, etc. Putting these trees together and getting them working, can be a real pain, and there are times I feel like I almost stick my head into the branches to find the right connections, but by plugging in the first tier and then each successive tier after that, it is easier than not plugging it in layer by layer.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Pre-lit Tree Keeps Blowing Fuse

I have a pre-lit Christmas tree and the top of the tree keeps blowing the fuse. The tree has three parts. The bottom and the middle are both working. I have changed the fuse four times now and the minute I plug it in the fuse blows instantly. I have plugged it into the tree and straight into the wall and it blows. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

By Chris

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Steven T. 1 Flag

The most likely cause of this is what is called a "dead short". This basically means that somewhere on that specific wire the strands of wire are bare and touching. This allows the electricity to jump between the two wires "sucking" more electricity than the fuse can handle causing it to blow. STOP plugging in this wire before you burn down the house. Just buy a cheap string of lights and plug them in where the tree's light would have gone.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Replacement Fuse Bulbs for Christmas Tree

Many of the lights on our 4 year old prelit "constant on" tree do not light. We called customer service and we learned about the white-based fuse bulbs. Where can we buy them?

By Kathy G

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By natrada_natty 1 Flag

Hopefully this isn't too late since I could not find when you post this. The white fuse light is "nonremovable" and "nonreplaceable" or else the warranty is void (rolling my eyes). If your tree is no longer under warranty as is mine, there's a easy fix that does not include buying a new one as ge customer service suggested. Remove the white fuse light by twisting out the bulb from the white socket first then with a tweezer try to pry (not pull) it out. It's not easy to remove. It took a while. Put a replaceable bulb into the white socket and mold back the copper wire then put it back into the green socket.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Lights Out on Pre-lit Trees

I have two skinny pre-lit trees, five feet each. One is only lit at the top and the bottom is out. The other is lit at the bottom and top is out. GRRRRRR! I have tried to check each light to make sure none are loose. They are only 2 years old and I hate it. Merry Christmas!

By Tracy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Terry Gregory 1 Flag

I had a similar issue. Do yourself a favor and find a Lightkeeper Pro. I found mine at Ace Hardware here locally. It as $14.99. Helped me fix my issue in less than 30 min.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Two Branches on Christmas Tree Not Lighting Up

I have a Cosco/Kirkland pre-lit 1500 Constant on Christmas tree and two of the branches will not light up. I went through the lights, all are plugged-in and no wires are broken. When I was going through the bulbs I came a cross a bulb that was in a white plastic holder all. The other bulbs are in green holders. I can't get the white one out to check it. Is this a fuse bulb? If so can this be why my lights don't come on the two branches? Help me please.

By Stephanie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By derrickf 1 Flag

I have had the same issue and I'm getting ready to take mine back to Costco. The first year I had the tree it was perfect. The issue you are having started for me the second year where those white encased bulbs started burning out. Why did they make an irremovable bulb that burns out easier than the others? I have no idea.

If you twist and pull on the bulb it will come out and leave the white casing in. This will likely break the copper wiring from the bulb which will stay stuck in there. Get a pair of needle nose pliers and stick one side into the socket (unplug your lights first :)). Try gently pulling or scraping up to remove the white casing. If it doesn't come out easily, apply more pressure. If it comes up a little bit but is still stuck, just try getting a grip on the white casing and pull it out. It will likely tear slightly, but that's okay.

Get a replacement bulb from the little bag that came with your tree. Remove a bulb from the green casing. Make sure any broken wire has been removed from the white casing. Place the replacement bulb into the white casing so that the two wires go through the two holes in the bottom then fold the two wires up and then stick the whole thing back into the tree.

The good news is I think I have replaced nearly all of my white encased bulbs over the last 2 years and the ones I have replaced seem to not burn out.

I also recommend plugging your tree into a surge protector.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Lights on Prelit Tree Black

If the lights on a pre-lit tree are black, are they bad?

By Deb

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Maryeileen 76 1,143 Flag

Yes, it means that they have burned out.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Having a Pre-lit Christmas Tree Restrung

I have an expensive and beautiful artificial tree (9 feet tall). The lights worked great for three years. Now some strands are burning out. I always replaced burnt out bulbs as soon as I saw them, but with an extensively decorated, very full tree, obviously I did not catch them until it was too late and the entire strand or half the strand burnt out. I was trying to search online, but cannot find if anyone or any place that offers a service to take off the old strings and restring an artificial tree. I live in the west suburbs of Chicago. Does anyone offer a service to restring artificial Christmas tree lights?

By LSH

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By sprinklem 1 Flag

Not sure where this place is but here is the website ChristmasTreeRepair.com

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Is It Safe to Remove the Fuse Light from a Pre-lit Tree?

On the top portion of my pre-lit tree, a small strand of lights went out. I took out the white fuse light. Did I do anything bad to my tree?

By Sarah R.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By carletonm 1 Flag

The problem is in the fuse bulb. It is a very bad design because it is not replaceable and when it blows the entire string goes out and this is a real problem on a pre-lit tree. Why there is a fuse bulb on top off the fuses in the plug itself is beyond me. On my tree, only one year old, five of the fuse bulbs had failed!

GE sent under warranty three new strands but I really didn't want to thread them all in on top of the dead bulbs and wires, so I did this: (1) unplugged the tree (2) pulled on the fuse bulb until it came out (3) carefully, with an ice pick, levered out the white fuse bulb socket enough to use a pair of needle-nose pliers to fully remove it (4) with those pliers, molded it back into shape (5) from the spare bulbs, removed one from its green base and threaded it into the white base (6) put the bulb and white base back into the socket (7) with the needle-nose pliers, pushed it back down fully.

Result: A beautiful tree, fully lit again. Yes, this supposedly violates the warranty, but I already have three free new strands I'm now not going to use, but will keep just in case.

GE really needs to make that fusible bulb replaceable (and provide spares); otherwise, get rid of it entirely.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Some Lights Not Working on Pre-lit Tree

I bought a pre-lit Christmas tree last year, I noticed this year that some of the lights are not working. I have replaced the lights, but they are still not working. Is it possible to take all the light strings off and replace with new set of lights?

By Patty V.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Trouble With Pre-lite Tree Lights

By Snapdragon 2

The lights on my 7' St. Nicholas Square Douglas Fir artificial Christmas tree will not come on. How do I connect the plugs on my tree. There are 800 lights on the tree, and only the bottom section will light up.

By Janice V.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Christmas Tree Lights Don't Blink

I have a desk top tree; when it is plugged into a 3 prong outlet it blinks. When I plug it into the same outlet with an adapter and with the lamp plugged into the adapter also the tree doesn't blink.

By Mike G

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Replacement Cord for Pre-lit Tree

I am missing the cord from controller to first section of a 12ft tree. The cord plugs into the controller has 4 pins and at the other end it is 6 pin to the bottom of the tree. I can plug the controller into the second section of the tree and from there up it works. I need the missing cord. Where can I find it?

By Marc D

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Repairing a Broken Wire on Pre-lit Tree

I have a pre-lit Christmas tree with a broken wire on one strand. My question is can it be spliced and how to do it if it can be done.

By K.C. P.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Trouble With Pre-lit Christmas Tree Blue Tooth

I bought a I Twinkle pre-lit Christmas Tree and the Blue Tooth does not work. Lowes is sold out of that tree. What are my options?

By Ms Kay

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Top Section of 3 Section Pre-lit Tree Out

The top section go our tree will not light up no matter how we combine the plugs together.

By Ak

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Strand of Lights Not Working on Pre-lit Tree

There is one strand of lights that are not on. Anyone know what might be wrong?

By David B

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: No Voltage in Pre-lit Tree Lights

A whole section of our pre-lit Christmas tree has bulbs that are not working and black. We bought a light-keeper pro that shows there is no voltage in this portion. Is there anything we can do or are the lights done for good?

By Jon D.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Pre-lit Tree Lights Out

I guess my question would be how long do pre-lit tree lights last. I have had this a good 5 yrs or more not certain, but I have not been able to figure out why only one strand period is working after trying to change the way I plug them together.

By Roslyn C

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Random Christmas Tree Lights Out

I have a 7 foot pre-lit tree that is in 3 parts. There are entire branches that all the lights are out. I have checked the plugs, they seem to be fine. How do I figure out what the problem is? I tried replacing the bulb in a couple of the unlit lights, they still didn't work. I have to do all this myself as my husband is physically disabled. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

By Peggy F

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

I removed the non replaceable fuse bulb and white base with very little difficulty. I replaced the fuse bulb with one of the working regular bulbs back in the white base, folded the wires up like normal and placed it in the string light socket. Should have worked, but light bulb is unlit as still are the six branches. What could be my problem? Help please, I am getting frustrated!

By Jan R.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Prelit Tree Lights Out of Sync

I have a 6ft tree in 3 parts. You can have either coloured or white lights. Last year all three sections were the same, but this year I cannot get all 3 sections to be the same, ie. all white or all multi coloured. The 3 sections plug into one main controller and no matter what order I plug them in they are never all the same.

By Jim

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: 3 Function Pre-lit Christmas Tree Not Working

I bought my pre-lit Christmas tree yesterday and tried to set it up today. It has 3 separate sections that plug into each other. With controls on the lights or a remote you can scroll through 3 functions: multi color, white lights, and fading between the two. My problem is the bottom 3rd of the tree isn't on the same function as the top 2/3. It doesn't matter if I unplug and retry, or if I only plug in the bottom and change to a function and try to plug in the rest. They never align. Any help would be great. I hate to pack it up and return it.

By Heather

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Pre lit Christmas Tree Lights Not Working

I have a artificial tree that has about a half of strand of lights that sometimes light and sometimes don't. I don't see any burnt out bulbs and all lights come on when they are on. I have tried using my trusty light gun when they are off. It brings them back to life for about thirty seconds and then they go off again. Any suggestions would be helpful!

By Brian

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Bulbs Burned Out on Pre-lit Tree

We have a pre-lit tree that is several years old. What does it mean when all of a sudden a section of lights starts burning brighter and hotter, then the section goes out? Many of the bulbs in that section look burned. It doesn't appear to be the whole string, just a section.

By Ted

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Pre-lit Tree Light Switches Not Working

I have a Holiday Living 7.5 foot pre-lit Englewood pine tree, model #W14L0330. This tree is suppose to switch from white lights to color lights, or you can have white or color only. Now that tree is up it quit working when changing from white to multi-color; only white lights will go on and off. I have unplugged tree and taken it apart, and put back together but still no color switching.

By Michelle N.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Load More

Archive: Pre-lit Tree Lights Not Working

I bought a pre-lit Christmas tree from Elder Beerman's after-Christmas sale. The tree was a display tree, and for some reason when it was taken down all the light sets were unplugged. It has been a total nightmare in getting the lights to work. The tree was put in a different box with the wrong instructions. I have no idea how to even plug the lights up without the schematic diagram.

This is the only site that has mentioned the white bulb base. We removed them and did not replace that socket with anything and the light is still light. My problem is the correct way to connect the sets of lights. I hope I have given enough info. I have had my tree up since Thanksgiving and still not decorated, because of the light thing. Please, any help will be useful. The plug ends do have a letter and number Ex: D35. Thanks in advance.

Tammy from Charleston, IL

Feedback:

RE: Pre-lit Tree Lights Not Working

With the pre-lit trees, sometimes you will get a pinched wire when folding it back up to store it. If you have a hinged tree, you can light it in sections with regular strings of lights and leave them on, so all you have to do the next year is plug them in. If you have to replace a strand, it's not hard. (12/20/2008)

By A guest

RE: Pre-lit Tree Lights Not Working

I wouldn't fool around wasting my time trying to get the lights to work. I would return the tree and either have the store people figure it out, get another tree, or ask for my money back. (12/21/2008)

By Harry

RE: Pre-lit Tree Lights Not Working

We have a tree we purchased from Kmart last year on clearance. It's great and I love it, but the lights were starting to go out already. Found this site as a result of the google search I did, and we tried to locate the "safety" lights and ended up cutting them out of the circuits and splicing the lights together. Worked very well. I may get the LKP also, as there are still some areas which aren't lit up, but it's way better than before we started removing the "safety" lights. On our tree in particular, there was no white, the safety ones were blackish green and clearly had no way to remove the bulbs. (12/23/2008)

By Tricia

RE: Pre-lit Tree Lights Not Working

Are there companies that service the pre-lit trees? I don't have the time or the patience to pick through 1500 lights. I love the tree, but after 4 years it is becoming more work than it should be. Thank you. (12/31/2008)

By Gene

RE: Pre-lit Tree Lights Not Working

Sorry I don't have the answer, but I can tell you that I have owned two pre-lit trees and their lights fail after a few years. In fact, after only a couple, I found various "strings" would go out. So I spent a considerable amount of time cutting out the lights, and now am back to putting my own on each year. But the tree is beautiful and I love it! Good luck. (01/05/2009)

By NHLinda

RE: Pre-lit Tree Lights Not Working

I noticed several posts in this area that mention eliminating or shorting out the safety fuse lamp. While it might make the string of lights work, it's not a good idea. They use small wires on these light strings and the tree is usually plugged into a circuit supplied by a 15A breaker; a lot more than the small wires can safely handle. The safety fuse lamp is in there to keep the tree from catching on fire if certain fault conditions should occur.

A better approach could be to cut out the safety fuse lamp and replace it with a splice-in fuse holder for AG type fuses. A small amp fuse, 1 - 5 amps, rated for use on a 120VAC circuit (assuming USA here) should work fine. Just so there is something in there to open the circuit in case of a fault. That's better than having the wires heat up and catch on fire. (01/14/2009)

By Terry

RE: Pre-lit Tree Lights Not Working

Whenever I assemble my pre-lit tree, I plug the lights in and that way I can tell when I have the various plugs in the right sockets.

If the tree lights are completely dead, I wouldn't bother cutting the old lights out, I would just string other lights on the tree and proceed with the decorating. I usually add some LED lights to my tree anyway. (06/13/2009)

By redhatterb

When I plug in my pre-lit Christmas tree it only lights up one half of each section. What is wrong?

My pre-lit Christmas tree lights don't work (two different rows). How do I fix this problem?

By I don't know

Feedback:

RE: Pre-lit Tree Lights Not Working

Have you checked to make sure all of the bulbs are good or that a fuse isn't blown. If you can't get them to working I would use a couple strings of lights where the ones that aren't working are located. (12/14/2009)

By redhatterb

I have a pre-lit tree that has worked perfectly for 2 years, this is the third year I have put it up. Now since the warranty is out, half of the lights light up. Its not random, every other row of branches light up like stripes on my tree.

I had a friend check the electricity running through the wires, and on my tree I have splitters that have two wires going in and 4 wires coming out. Only half of every splitter is getting power. We have checked every fuse and spent hours looking at bulbs.

I have no idea what a safety light is or why this is happening? Should I just forget the lights and put new ones on or can this be fixed?

By Amanda from Richmond, KY

Feedback:

RE: Pre-lit Tree Lights Not Working

I guess if you don't want to buy a new tree this year, I would recommend just putting some strings of lights on where the ones that don't work are. I always add some extra lights to my prelit tree anyway. I like more lights and it isn't so hard to add an extra string as putting several strings on. (12/19/2009)

By redhatterb

Holidays and Parties Christmas Decorations LightsDecember 5, 2012
            ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
            Man in a Christmas tree costume.
            Making a Christmas Tree Costume
            Family Working on Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
            Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
            Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
            Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
            Oregon Zoolights
            Saving Money on Christmas Lights
            © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 11:21:41 AM on 10.0.2.55 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsProductsArchives
            NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
            Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
            BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
            CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings