Repairing a Lighted Outdoor Christmas Decoration

Bronze Tip Medal for All Time! 59 Tips

If you have lights on your wire lawn deer that stop working, don't toss the deer in the garbage, just change out the lights. Take a strand of 100 white wire lights and replace the old lights. It's time consuming putting all new lights on, but it's a lot less $ than going out and buying all new deer, and it's a good way to recycle also.

By CDC from FL

3 lighted deer in front of lighted house.

14 Questions

Last winter squirrels destroyed the hat covering on the lighted snowman decorating our front yard. The covering material remaining on the hat brim seems like hard plastic strands. Can anyone suggest a material and method to refurbish the snowman's black top hat?

Answers

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 140 Posts
Best Answer

Use chicken wire to remake and shape a hat, spray paint black!

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 105 Posts
Best Answer

It sees like the hat brim is still there. You can use a cardboard box to reconstruct a new hat and spray paint this one. I would see if there are lights that get warm before doing this one. If so you should go with chicken wire and a flame retardant black material to repair it with.

Answer this Question

Need someone in Wichita Falls to restring/change bulbs in Christmas lawn decorations.

Answers

Silver Answer Medal for All Time! 440 Answers
Best Answer

You need to contact specialists. Christmas light installation is not that easy. A single bad strand could ruin your home design, and, more importantly, become a safety hazard. Each year, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), "about 11,000 people are treated in hospital emergency rooms due to Christmas light installation-related injuries," mostly caused by "falls, cuts, shocks and burns."

I found a list of top 8 Christmas Light Installation Companies in Wichita Falls, TX:
porch.com/.../cs
Or use this site to find help:
www.homeadvisor.com/.../
Contact them and discuss the cost of the help you need.

In the process of Christmas light restring, make sure to replace cracked or burned out bulbs, bad sockets, fuses and wires. If you replace any bulbs, make sure your lighting fixture can handle the wattage. Most lighting fixtures will indicate the highest wattage bulb they can safely accommodate. Bulbs above the recommended wattage, along with loose connections and bad wiring are recipes for overheating and electrical fires.
Make sure that outdoor Christmas lights, along with extension cords, timers, and power strips can handle "the great outdoors". Because water and electricity make for a dangerous combination, please make sure all lighting equipment is UL outdoor rated before installation.

Best Answer

I found several sites where you can get professional help:

Professional Christmas Lights Installation in Wichita Falls
www.warriorsforlight.com/.../

Christmas Light Installation Services in Wichita Falls christmaslightinstallationpros.com/.../christmas-lighting-installation

We Hang Christmas Lights www.wehangchristmaslights.com/

Or contact Handyman Services in your area.

Answer this Question

I have 3D reindeer from the 80s. The lights were a mess so I cut them off and need to replace them. What are the best and easiest lights to use? I have a lot of deer and a large village.

A outdoor reindeer decoration.

Answers

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 196 Feedbacks
Best Answer

There are lots of brands out there and they all have their pros and cons.

Things to remember are to measure every inch of the reindeer you want covered so you can buy the appropriate length of lights. Piecing strings together would be a pain. Amazon and other big box locations sell long strands.

Be sure to check the package to guarantee they are for outdoor use and if you are in an area that is extra cold (or hot) you may want to check with a local hardware store to see if there is a specific brand to your zone temperature.

Where I am it can be hot at Christmas or cold (Pittsburgh weather changes like the wind) so I always look for all purpose, all season lights.

This article gives some hints and tips:

www.westsidewholesale.com/indoor-light-bulbs-safe-for-outdoor...

Answer this Question

The light on my 40 inch outside snowman decoration is broken, the whole mechanism. Where can I get a replacement part?

Answers

Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,298 Posts
Best Answer

You could contact the manufacture of the snowman and ask if there is a warranty, or a solution.

Answer this Question

This train is over 20 yrs old. The lighted wheels still turn and the smoke stack still blows lighted smoke bursts. It is still lovely, but more of the old lights have stopped working every year.

I would like to repair it, if possible.

Repairing an Old Outdoor Christmas Train Decoration

Answers

Best Answer

This is really going to depend on the type of lights that were used on this train. I think your best bet is to take one of the train pieces to a hobby store and see if you can ask one of the people there to help you find the right lights for this. I know that there are many people who work with trains and they have people who are hobbyist and can restore these.

You might end up needing to contact one of them and seek their advice if they know exactly what type of light were used on this and where to find them.

Answer this Question

I am in need of one single bulb to fix my reindeer. Where can I find replacement bulbs?

What kind of mesh I can use to repair my Christmas decoration?

I just bought a 60 inch snowman with lights. Some of the lights won't light up. Please help.

By SONDRA from West Coast

Answers

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 186 Feedbacks

Are the light bulbs located so that you can get to them or are they on the inside? If you can get to the bulbs you should be able to replace the bulbs that won't work.

If you just bought it why would you not simply exchange it at the store it was purchased from. Repairing something you have only just purchased seems like a lot of unnecessary work. JS...

I recently saved some old large Christmas bells. They were wired with 1 bulb, but that is gone in most of them.

Is there some kind of kit that I can buy or does anybody have an idea of what could work?

I have a lighted outdoor snowman, he is looking kinda tired and old, but I love it and have had it for many years. Anyone have any ideas on how to refresh his skin, which is now kinda like a glitter white cotton snow like fabric?

Answers

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 255 Posts

Can you spray paint it white then add some glitter?

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts

There is a post by Kim Hoggan showing how she painted tires white and stacked them to look like a snowman. You can use her ideas and add glitter.

Answer this Question

Do you know anyone that would put new lights on yard decorations such as deer or sleighs? The ones I have are made out of wire that is about 1/4" in diameter.

By Bob J.

Answers

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks

Standard answer: I do not know where you live - but it may be expensive to have someone do this; cheaper to buy new lights probably. You could try doing it yourself. Just Google for directions and you will find all kinds of useful information.

Our lawn deer's head won't light; the rest of it lights just fine. We had the same problem with our doe deer this year, but possibly with handling it, the problem was corrected. Nothing we've done gets the buck's head and neck to light up. I feel like knocking it upside the head. I don't want to display a half-lit deer!

By Joanne W. from Havertown, PA

Answers

These displays seem to be a problem even with the best of care. Google your question as there is a lot of information listed by others with the same problem.

My son usually just adds another string of lights to wherever the lights are not working. Sometimes he weaves them in and out but mostly he just wraps them around the contour of the object.

I have a lot of objects that light up so he has to set them up early so he has time to "repair" the "broken' ones. You can find the inexpensive lines of small light strings with white wire or just use the regular ones with green wire.

Most people say mine look better because they have more lights and show up really well from a distance.

Answer this Question
Load More
Decorating LightsJanuary 24, 2014
👒
👔
🌻
Sub-Categories
AdviceBaking TipsBooksBoxing DayBudgetCardsCharitiesChristmas RecipesCleaningCooking TipsCraftsDecoratingDietingGamesGift WrappingGiftsHelpful HintsHosting TipsLinksMiscellaneousMy Frugal HolidayOrganizationParentingPartiesPhotosPlanningSanta TipsShoppingStocking StuffersTraditionsTravel
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Repairing-a-Lighted-Outdoor-Christmas-Decoration-1.html