Making a Christmas Tree With Junk CDs

Make a lighted tree shaped decoration using old CDs. This is a guide about making a Christmas tree with junk CDs.

November 30, 2004 Flag

Last Christmas I made a tree out of the old and advertising CDs and bought a string of lights and taped each bulb in the center of each disc. The reflection was pretty and we had a neat yard decoration. Just be sure to use outdoor lights and cord.

By Great Granny Vi

Editor's Note: Vi sent in these great pictures of her CD Christmas Tree. It's always helpful when people can send in pictures of their projects so everyone can see what they look like finished. Thanks Great Granny Vi!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

could you send me a picture how too make the cd tree how too put it together thank you

I made 2 last year with C7 Lights. I hot glue the Cd's in a tree shape and attach the bulbs through the center and attach the bulbs on the front. I then drill a hole on top hang it up. I also made a garland with Cd's and put red C7 bulbs and those lit up my kitchen. I'm planning on making a wreath this year with Cd's using C7 miniature lights.

Ok , Here's what happened. We first used hot glue on the discs in a tree shape.But the cold weather the hot glue popped off. So we tried Elmers glue that had to dry over night...Then after a few damp nights They fell apart..Oh me..it is best to drill small holes and use green floral wire ( doesn't rust ) to attach them together. If anyone else has a better idea ,Please post here for all to see. Thanks, and a Very Merry Christmas ,Happy Holidays and a healthy,Bright new Year to all. GG Vi

Hi, could you send the instruction and the pattern how to make it? I would loved too make one. Thank you for your attention.

Hello Debbies, Look below and read what information is here. I didn't have a pattern, but thought the CD's would glue together..Wrong, So I thought drilling tiny holes in the cd's & tying with wire instead if glue would work....I had planned to make a big tree, but then we put our house up for sale and put that project on hold for awhile.

See what Sandy Lee says below, She tells how we did it.

I still plan to use a triangle ( tree shape) frame using an easel back, ( to make it easier to stand )with cross bars to help support the weight of the lights...They do get heavy.OR possibly a tree shaped frame with chicken wire stretched over and stapled down to the frame might work too.I'm thinking GREEN also about using LED lights??? Haven't figured out how that will work yet. IF and when we get it made I will post the plans and photos.

HEY ELECTRICAL ENGINEERS OUT THERE! HELP,LOL Again, if anyone out there has an easier plan with instructions ...PLEASE Post it here for all of us. Thanks and GG Hugs,Vi

Hello, these look so pretty, would you wanna make me a few of these? I'd be interested in some, please email me at precioustaylor AT stjoelive.com thanks, Donita.

Hello, can anyone of you make these? I'd love to buy some. Email me at precioustaylor AT stjoelive.com Thanks.

I sure like this ides. Do you think a glue for plastics would hold better than hot glue?

Sylvia, Try it and see. Something should work. Good Luck and be sure to post here if you get something to work. GG Vi

I would like to know how too put them together to make a tree. Do you glue? I would love too have instruction, please and thank you.

CD Spinner Top - finished top with colorful paper top
Crafts Using CDs
Crafts Christmas DecorationsNovember 28, 2016
CD Jewelry
Making Jewelry from CDs and DVDs
Uses for CDs
Uses for CDs
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
A recycled CD as a floral wall hanging.
CD Wall Hanging
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 26, 2017 at 3:33:13 PM on 10.0.0.67 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.