Crafts Using CDs

Making crafts with recycled CDs is fun and cheap for adults and children alike. This is a guide about crafts using CDs.

I decided to recycle old scratched up or non-useable CD's. So I made these into centerpieces and cake toppers and sell them for extra money. Each one is different and one of a kind or sometimes I have doubles of some figurines.

The CDs are my base and then I go from there. I buy my figurines from thrift shops and yard sales and dollar stores, and I save all my scrap material and lace to glue to my base. I also have people save me their old CDs, including thrift shops where people donate their things. The owners said they end up just throwing them away, but now they save them for me.

By Myra from Allenhurst, GA

If you like a nice effect with a CD for card making or any thing, I put the CD in an old microwave, shiny site up. Close the door and turn it on and off. Within a second it gives you a nice crackle on the shiny part of the CD. The longer you have the microwave on, the nicer it becomes. I use that for Christmas cards. I hope you have fun

By Sara from Australia

Do you have a bunch of those free CD's laying around? Turn them over, the backsides are mirror like, use double sided tape and attach them to the back of the bedroom door for a funky full length mirror. Your teenage daughter will love it.

Janet

In order to make the picture of this craft work, without an intense reflection, I have covered the CD with invisible tape. Your actual project will allow the shine of the CD to show and reflect holiday lights. Crafting Time: 30 minutes or less

Supplies

Directions

1. Roll up the open end of the bag to make the hat brim. If your newspaper comes in a plastic sleeve, this is a great size. I got mine at a local card store. Glue this to the front and back of the CD.
  2. Glue wiggle eyes to the front of the CD below the hat. If you don't have wiggle eyes, just cut two circles from white paper and draw black circles on them, then glue these to the CD.
  3. Cover the hole in the center of the CD with a circle of red construction paper.Glue a a red pom-pom to this circle.
  4. Draw and cut a mouth from red construction paper. Glue this to the CD below the nose.
  5. Gather the plastic bag together above the CD and tie it off with a yarn or ribbon bow. Cut the bag off above where you tied it and fluff this part out to resemble a pom-pom.
  6. Ad

7. To hang your creation, tie a length of thin yarn or dental floss around the hat above the ribbon, then tie the ends of the yarn or floss together to make a hanger.

By Marie E. Cecchini from West Dundee, IL

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I saw an interesting window treatment the other day. A computer shop had used CDs to cover a window; overlapping two layers, to create a sort of round pane effect.

We all have lots of old floppy disks and cds around thanks to AOL and CD Burners. Do you have any good uses for them?

Answers

This is something that I have done with those old CD's we all seem to get in the mail. I painted the advertisement side black. On the computer I made a "birthday label" on card stock, which is better than a label, cut it out and glued it over the center hole area on the shinny side of the CD and hot glued twelve pieces of hard candy around the disk. To the back side, I used one of those FREE heavy duty magnets that some pharmacy's give out, to the back.

This will hold to a 'fridge quite well. I used this as a gag gift. I sealed it in a bag and added a a computer generated note card with the saying: "HAPPY BIRTHDAY"
A YEARS SUPPLY OF CANDY, IF YOU ONLY EAT ONE A MONTH".

Just use your imagination.

"Syd - who's always thinking!

I also decorated my home office Xmas tree with CD's. I guess you could use the floppies as well. I prefer the CD's.

Make a wind chime. Glue two CD's together, shiny sides out. Drill small holes for stringing the wind chimes, etc. Hang in a covered area of a porch where you get breezes. You can copy off some commercial wind chimes for ideas.

Syd Barr - never at a loss for an idea!

I have a great use for old CD's. Last Christmas, my grandaughter and I made gifts for her teacher and parents, by cutting pic's from old Christmas cards and gluing them onto the shiny side of the CD. Then, we glued bits of fake Christmas trees or weaths, to make little trees. (This makes it look 3D) When the glue was dry, we used craft paint and painted snow on the ground (if you used outdoor scene) and also painted small dots of snow all over the pic. We then glued narrow red ribbon onto the backside for hanging; and/or used small pieces of magnets so they could be displayed on the refrigerators. This was such a big hit with the teachers, etc. we do this every year for Sunday School projects, etc.
- Nellie

I put small stakes in the ground and put a CD on each one along my walkway shiny side up. They pick up the light from the porch light and make energy free illumination along the dark walk.
- Marianne

Use the shiny ones in your straawberry paatch. Hang them on a stake to scare the birds away.

3 ideas:
1. With spray adhesive or any good craft glue, attach a circular cut out of a snapshot in the center of the shiney side of a CD disk. This makes a nice shiny rim. Glue four small magnets around the rim of the back of the disk, at 12, 3, 6 and 9 O'clock and attach it to the fridge.
#2. Glue felt to the dark side of the disk and us it shiny side up under a flower pot on a windowsill.
#3. OR save lots them; find a mirror, round or square..... and, overlapping the disks, hot glue them as a modern looking rim round the edge of your mirror!

I use the cds when I crochet to make CD hotpads. There are many different patterns to chose from. They also make wonderful gifts.
- Margaret Fraleigh

During the Christmas season,hang your CD's from wire on a tree to decorate. They make great outdoor decorations. When the lights hit them the shine.
- Elaine Miller

My husband is not only a computer user, but also a webmaster and a programmng student. As you can imagine, he gets piles of those throw-away cd's from a-oh-well, and other companies that advertise that way. So, I went looking for ideas on how to use them.

I thought they would be pretty and effective tied in long cords and hung around berrry bushes, etc where you don't want the birds stealing your garden goodies. They twirl in the wind and flash gloriously, as good a treat to the eye as a diamond tiara or a crystal chandelier. You do want to pull the cords rather taut to get the most dynamics, so you'll need some kind of stakes or poles.

Just as they are, they make tolerable coasters. You can improve them a bit by gluing a circle of felt to the lable side.

I'm also considering how I can make Christmas ornaments with them. I have a few ideas, but I won't list any, so that you can let your own imaginations run away with you. Instead, I'll just suggest that they could show off thread-crochet, or just about anything could be glued on.

I read that some people warm them on cookie sheets, and make bowls (with holes) when they are just soft enough to droop over a form. This might also make an interesting flower dish with a drainage hole. I have not tried this.

I saw a picture of a home-made gazing ball, done by breaking them in pieces, and pasting the pieces onto a bowling ball or something, with that adhesive/grout used to make mosaics. If you do that, you might like to cover other shapes, too, and incorporate other materials like broken plates, marbles, seashells, etc. Can you picture those reflective fragments under water as a bird bath? Or on stepping stones, on tables or storage cubes, on large flowerpots, on mirror/window frames etc? (Mirrors are wonderful in the garden. Display one, and you have an instant "secret garden".)

Rose B, mother of three, in NC

I would use them as a 1 time use Frisbee.

glue label sides together with spray adhesive

string them together with fishing line, from ceiling to floor, then
use as hippie-beads; those curtain-type things, around a bed or to
divide a room for a teenager.

By Vickie Anderson (Guest Post)

I take old CD's and cut them into tiny pieces. Sometimes they break so you may want to warm them a little then cut. Then I take a styrofoam ball and use use straight pins and put a length of ribbon around the ball to secure the ball for hanging. Then I glue all the tiny pieces on the ball and make my own DISCO globe!! I hang them from the ceiling fans for light pulls and they shine pretty when the lightis on.

The disks that I will never I use as coasters. I have one by night stand and one by computer to place a coffee cup or soda on. It prevents lots of discolored circles on wood furniture. Also makes a good mirror too!

By Annette

Editor's Note: You can also decorate the CDs with contact paper or paint to match your decor.

By Barbara Reynolds (Guest Post)

Since I've been stringing old CDs from the trees in my backyard, I haven't had any DEER in the yard to eat my plants! I live on 2 acres of land which back up to the woods. I started the CDs from the trees IN the woods, all the way up to my gardens. So far, so good!
Barbara from Toms River, NJ

By Michele (Guest Post)

You can cut a piece of cardstock to fit and attach with glue. Paint and then add a pic/clip art ect. Makes great ornaments. I had written in earlier about how to make these and sent in a picture.

if anyone wants to see the pictures I made I will send via email

ucmelaffn @ aol . com (take out spaces)

I have so many CDs from my daughter growing up. I need ideas on what to make or do with them. I don't want to throw them away, but my daughter no longer wants them.

By joy from Montgomery, AL

I have a lot of CDs and I am looking for craft ideas for them. I was making coasters out of them, but I am tired of making them and would really like some different ideas. Thanks.

By CHRISTY from Waukegan, IL

I'm looking for directions for making a hanging mobile using CDs and some foam-type of material. A friend had one hanging in her child's room and it was really cute. The body of the fish was a CD, a plastic eye was glued to it, and heavy-type material was stuck thru the CD to make a fin. Does anyone have specific directions on how to make these? Thanks!

Sarah from Brooklyn Center, MN

I would like to find complete directions on how to make costume jewelery pins out of 'free' CD's. I know you 'warm' them before you cut shapes and use acrylic paints but does anyone have any more tips or directions?

Thanks,
Ann in Syr.

I am looking for butteries or other animals, like fish, made from compact discs. Thanks.

By susan hubbard from Morrow, GA

How do you make candy dishes from old CDs?

By Fostina

I need the directions for the fourth and half angel made out a CD.

By christine from Indiana, PA

A CD, some lace, and a faux flower are used to create this pretty wall hanging. This is a guide about CD wall hanging.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a card holder from CDs. A great way to reuse CDs that you do not need is to make a playing card holder.

CDs lend sparkle and shine to a homemade holiday wreath. This is a guide about making a CD Christmas wreath.

Make a lighted tree shaped decoration using old CDs. This is a guide about making a Christmas tree with junk CDs.

This guide is about making jewelry from CDs and DVDs. Interesting jewelry can be made by repurposing those old CD's.

I have lots and lots of old CDs and I don't want to just dispose them. Does anybody here have craft ideas that I can make out of them? Thanks.

Loi from Philippines

Answers:

Crafts Made With CDs

My neighbor strung them with fishing line and used them on his outside Christmas tree. The sun picked up the silver shine and they were very pretty. Another neighbor used them in his cherry trees to scare birds away. Another neighbor tied them to his grape vines for the same reason. (08/01/2008)

By Judi

Crafts Made With CDs

My son used them as a border around the top of his walls in his bedroom. Used bluetac to put them up on the wall. Very nice in a teen's room.

I have also used them at school with my students. We draw geometrical or abstract designs on them with fine black marker (waterproof) and white out pen. Kids love them. (08/03/2008)

By Louise B.

Crafts Made With CDs

I have a program on my computer that prints a CD cover. I have used it to make clocks. Just buy the clock parts at the craft store, print out whatever design you want on the computer (I used photos of my grandchildren. There will be a hole in the middle of it, so place the faces correctly). Then attach the clock parts and you have a unique clock. Could use many other ways to design your clock -- painting, markers, decoupage, etc! Fun and cute! (08/06/2008)

By Linda

Crafts Made With CDs

There are tons of great ideas for using Cd's on crafster.com (08/06/2008)

By tahlula

Crafts Made With CDs

Make a CD Flower:

For the Daisy Girl Scouts I used a CD to make a flower. Take a large button and put cotton crochet thread through it to make a hanging loop. Put the loop through the center hole of the CD with the button on the shiny side. Glue a white cardboard circle on the printed side with the hanging loop sandwiched between the cardboard and the CD. Using various colored pieces of art foam, cut out a circle and petals. Glue to the cardboard. With the Daisy GS I printed words from the Girl Scout Law, and as they earned their petal they glued it onto the flower CD. (08/07/2008)

By Jackie

Crafts Made With CDs

I made hanging mobiles. They glitter in the sun. My grandchildren love chasing the reflections. To do it, drill holes opposite each other on the edges. I used the tool that came with the ink cartridge refill kit. Then put a fishing swivel with a clip on it and tie fishing line between. I make mine 4 discs long and hang them where they catch a breeze and the sun. (08/07/2008)

By Marion

Crafts Made With CDs

Years ago I made some Christmas decorations using CD's and small ornaments. I had a snowman figurine, Santa Claus, and a few others. I added some cotton balls to the CD in a few places to make it look like snow and the open CD parts looks like ice. Then add the figurine to the center, and once dry, it looked like Santa was standing in the snow with ice showing through. Very cute. (08/07/2008)

By Karyn

Load More