DIY Mirrored Mosaic Flower Vase
Take old CDs and a recycled glass bottle to make this pretty mosaic vase for small floral displays. This is a good project to do with your kids and makes a great gift.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Creating new and interesting flower vases can be a lot of fun. This flower vase can be used to decorate your table, give to a friend, or even used for wedding decorations. The vase is simple to make. If a small child wants to make one for a friend, a parent might need to assist them when cutting the CDs to make the vase.
Total Time: 1 Day
Yield: 1 Vase
- 1 clear vase or recycled bottle
- white acrylic paint
- any color acrylic paint for the base color
- 3 to 4 used CDs
- wood glue
- paper towels
- hot glue gun
- Wash and clean your vase or recycled bottles. You can find inexpensive vases at any Dollar Store near you. There are no Dollar Stores where I live so I am using a recycled bottle for my vase.
- Apply the first coat of paint to the bottle. Use the white acrylic paint as your base coat. I find out if you apply a base coat to the bottle or vase before adding your color the paint sticks to the glass better. Allow this to dry.
- Now apply your second coat of paint to the bottle. This can be any color you choose. I decided to use a dark blue paint for mine. Allow the paint to dry.
- Take your 3 old CDs and start to cut them up into small pieces. Do not remove the back label from the CD. We want the silver coating left on the CD, plus the label is needed to glue the piece on the bottle so it sticks.
- Take one of the cut-up CD squares and add wood glue to the back of the label and also apply some wood glue to the bottle. Stick the piece on the bottle. Do not worry if you get a little glue on the piece it is easy to clean afterward.
- Apply around 10 pieces to the bottle and use your hair dryer set on low heat to start the drying process of the glue. This holds the pieces in place.
- Continue applying the pieces to the bottle until you have it covered. Allow the bottle to dry overnight.
- Take a piece of paper towel and start to clean the pieces of the CD that have glue on them. You can easily use your fingernail to scrape off the glue.
- If you have a few areas of the bottle that the paint needs touching up, use a small paintbrush and touch up your paint. When the paint is dry, add a little varnish to the areas of the paint on the bottle. This makes it possible to get the bottle wet, so it is easier to clean. Again, if you get a little varnish on the tile pieces use your paper towel to clean them up. Varnish comes off the plastic easily.
- Finish off the top of the bottle by gluing some raffia or decorative ribbon to the top of the bottle. You can use a hot glue gun for this.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.