Craft Ideas for Used Medicine or Pill Bottles

Category Containers
Rather than throwing them away or into the recycle bin, you can make many creative projects using medicine or pill bottles. This is a guide about craft ideas for used medicine or pill bottles.

Recycled medicine bottles for carolers. I took 3 medicine bottles and turned them upside down. I painted the wooden balls a flesh color, let dry then painted faces with black paint.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 8

This is a guide about making a pill bottle first aid kit. Having a mini first aid kit in your purse or backpack can come in handy.

Read More... Was this helpful? 10

This is a guide about making a pill bottle hide-a-key. It is easy to have a weather proof hidden key outside your home to make sure you can always get inside.

Read More... Was this helpful? 5

Get creative with empty medicine bottles and make as many of these cute carolers as you like. This is a guide about how to make medicine bottle carolers.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about making pill bottle pumpkins. Recycle your empty prescription bottles into these cute treat holders.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

I really hate seeing the medicine bottles from Target go to waste and would like to know what they can be used for other than keeping screws or such in them. What have others done or might think to do with these? It's such a waste and I figure since the holidays are coming up that it would be fun to create some kind of project with them.

By Beth

Answers

I have put rice or small things like that in them, sealed them shut with hot (or regular) craft glue. You can put a pom-pom on the cover and Poof! An inexpensive cat toy. I've also seen them decorated to look like angels, etc. with the wooden ball glue on the top of the bottle for the head, etc. (Angels, Nativity figures, etc. come to mind as do Santa, elves and reindeer).
Once I got to thinking about this, I did a quick search and found a lot of ideas. I saved some of my favorites. I'll share with anyone that wants them. Now my mind is running to the craft store to get supplies...lol.

As far as crafts, I'm not quite sure. But I re use them all the time for when I travel with my vitamins and such, so I don't have to take the whole freaking bottle.

I suppose you could hot glue some type of fabric around them to decorate them? :p

I saw something in one of my magazines once a couple years ago. I believe it was ReadyMade, but could have been Martha Stewart, too. They gathered a whole bunch of the bottles, and attached them together to make a red wreath. You know where the labels are stuck on the bottles? They were attached together label to label. Because they're wedge-shaped they made a wreath very nicely. I'm going to do a quick search . . .

. . . it was ReadyMade! I found where a few people mentioned it, but no images. This person wrote up some instructions. Wish I had a pic to share, but this is the best I can do:

http://phoenix.  rpcat=Activities

I keep one in each vehicle for giving change at the bank or pharmacy windows. It holds quarters quite nice. One in my purse for loose change, so I never have to hunt. A couple are used for sewing needles and small craft items. One is a toy for the cats, partially filled with beans. I have stuffed plastic shopping bags in the larger ones (you can fit three in a medium bottle) so you always have a plastic bag. Try it. I have the washcloths in one that you can buy that are dyed, and look like a big tums tablet until you wet it so we have washcloths we can wet with bottled water. The list can be endless.

Anonymous

If you have the proper tool to punch a small hole in assorted types of plastic you could make some nice wind chimes by punching a hole in the bottom of the bottle and stringing them chime style. The different sizes and types of plastics of the bottles would make a nice delicate melody in the wind and you could decorate them with paint made for plastics :-)

Anonymous

You don't need a special too. Just heat up a pin tip and apply to the plastic. You will probably have to do this a couple times, but the plastic meltls. You can also heat up a small metal screwdriver if you need a bigger hole.

I have an abundance of empty prescription bottles. Does anyone have any ideas for craft projects using these bottles? Does anyone have other suggestions on how to use empty prescription bottles? I just hate throwing them away.

By Nonniebo23

Answers

Yes. These are great fo many uses. Sequins, safety pins, straight pins, tacks, Few dollars or change for vending machines, toll booths, car wash, Etc. beads, jewelry, bit of Epson salts or bath salts or bubble bath, shampoo & conditioner, facial wash-when traveling, stick matche, -but you'll need a strip of the part to scratch on to light it.

Other craft things-bits of string or ribbon, jewels, stickers, charms, earring backs, or hooks, buttons, snaps, pin backs, household hooks & small magnets, screws, nails, nuts & bolts, cone inscense, postage stamps, fresh herbs & spices, cake sprinkles, cake decor dots. I bet you can think of some more! The possibilities are endless with small things.

I use mine for storage of small craft items, rubber bands, etc. But I took a large amount to the veterinarian - asked first.

Here is a suggestion. Fill the bottle with water and freeze them. They can be use as ice paks for little hands. the school where I work use them for scraps, bumps and bruises.

Try to see what they look light with a light inside them. If it looks good buy a led garland and put a led in each bottle.

They are great for storing small crafting items like straight pins, seed beads, etc.

Does anyone know of a way to use the brown pill bottles as an arts and crafts project?

Theresa from Hibbing, MN

Answers

Well you can use those brown label pill bottles to hold craft items
2-you could decorate those pill bottles for display as curios
3- you could use those pill bottles as supports for homemade things like artificial trees bridge supports or other miniature display things.(Only you will know that pill bottle is part of it)
4-I would imagine the caps could make great handicap checkers
5-and with a lot of your imagination Christmas tree ornaments are possible.
I can probably come up with many more. Feel free to Email me.
Crafts Are Partly Supplies The Rest Is Your Imagination
Good Luck from Mr. Thrifty

By Jazzylazzy (Guest Post)

Remove the label. The sequins and sparkly things package from a crafts store or party confetti and clear packaging tape can be used to make a treasure bottle or a dry match container for scouts or campers. Cut a piece of tape that will fit around the bottle. Lay it down sticky side up. Put your design of sequins or confettin on the tape. Place the tape around the bottle. I use small boxes of wooden matches by putting the matches in the container, cutting the striker piece off the box, and putting it in the container as well.

I bought an xacto knife set.2 handles&5 different blades.I had a pill bottle tall enough.In the bottom I put in 2 cotton balls.As I said in another post,I invested in a hand held label maker...I label every thing...Keeper

By pikkymama (Guest Post)

Place pill bottles on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven - you have to watch them as they start to become soft. You don't want them too soft to the point of becoming "mushy". Remove them from the oven when they are pliable and either shape them the way you want or leave them the way they come out of the oven. They cool down rapidly. They usually come out different shapes when you use different size bottles. My mother used to do this but I can't remember what oven temperature she used. I can't ask her because she passed away a couple years ago. After they cooled down she would fill them with different colored sand making a rainbow in the bottle. In the top of the bottle she would place the stems of a few minature flowers (purchased from craft store) in the sand and then seal that with a small amount of hot wax. They looked like little vases with flowers. You can also take these bottles of different shapes and sizes, punch holes in the bottom while still soft then string fish line thru them and paint or otherwise decorate them making them like hanging chimes!

A craft I have bought locally is a "cheer-up/get well soon" bottle which is filled in this manner...

1. Put a sticker on the top of the bottle (lid). A smiley face works well.

2. Print a Label that says something like "God's prescription for cheer."

Instructions would be to "read a note inside for instant cheer."

3. Put that label on the side of the bottle.

4. Take verses from the Bible, especially the ones in Proverbs, and print those on cardstock. Cut these apart, and put about 8 to 12 of these in each bottle.

I can not give you a source of the lady who does this craft. But she is from North Carolina, and sets up at a crafts show near me every year. I am not sure if it is her original idea or not, but it really does sell well at $1.25/each bottle.

Currently I take many medications and have leftover bottles. I would like to make a prescription bottle wreaths and deck lights. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to make these crafty ideas?

Thank you.

I am trying to come up with "crafty" ways to make something out of medicine bottles and margarine containers (other than using them to store things in, etc., an actual object). Any suggestions?

By DEB from Fulton, NY

Answers

I remember my grandmother had a margarine tub "doll" when I was a kid. She kept buttons in there. It was a crocheted skirt with ruffle edging around the tub. The lid had an actual barbie doll's upper torso attached and a crocheted dress that draped over, so when the lid was on it looked like a girl with one of those old period gowns on. As for medicine bottles, I've been wondering what to do with them myself!

Cover the bottles with "Sculpey" or "Fimo" polymer clay designs. I have found that the plastic bottles and lids will come through the 275 degree baking process just fine. I sold a lot of these bottles a few years ago to people who wanted them for pill containers.

I use washed out margarine tubs for the following :-
To store my seeds that I collect in eg runner beans, sunflower
To keep left over foods in the fridge, eg baked beans,
To fill with soil and start off my seeds in them on the window sill
To use as 'saucers' to hold my small plant pots

Anonymous

Empty pill bottles: store q-tips for travel; store jewelry for travel; loose coins for the car console; art school teachers/kindergarten use them; paint the top of the pill bottle-then glue a small flower or beads to the top - put a pretty pair of earrings into the pill bottle as a gift; a paper gift certificate in the bottle; carry band aids in the bottle; paper clips.