How to Make Mother's Day Pill Bottle Vases

Category Crafts
Pill bottles, spray paint in your choice of color, and some yarn are used to make these cute little vases to gift Mom on her special day. This page contains photos and easy to follow instructions.

I made these flower vases for Mother's Day using pill bottles, spray paint, and yarn. The story behind this craft in particular is that my father has been hoarding his prescription pill bottles in his old age, saying they're nice looking and useful, and that they will make great gifts one day. My mother always rolls her eyes at him, but lets him keep a reasonable stash of them as they make him happy. I thought I'd give them both what they want by transforming them into vases that hold flowers they grow together in their garden. Happy Mother's Day to mine and yours!

Total Time: 90 minutes

Yield: 3 Vases

• 3 empty and clean pill bottles
  • spray paint, 2 colours of your choice
  • painter's tape
  • pen
  • scissors
  • glue gun with glue
  • yarn

1. Lay down some newspaper and spray paint the pill bottles in whatever colour you want the circles in the center to be. Let dry completely.
  2. Use the pill bottle caps to draw circles onto the painter's tape with a pen.
  3. Cut out with scissors. Repeat twice, making three in all.
  4. Stick circles of tape onto fully dried painted bottles.
  5. Spray bottles with second colour of spray paint. Let dry.
  6. When completely dry, peel off painter's tape to expose circle of first colour.
  7. Warm up your glue gun and apply some globs of hot glue onto the lip of the bottle.
  8. Quickly wrap glued lip area with yarn several times, then add a tiny dab of hot glue to secure the end piece.
  9. Glue on your letters in yarn. Press firmly to adhere. Hot glue dries super quick so there's no real wait time with the yarn.

I love it! Very cute! :) All those prescription bottles your dad hoarded comes handy!

Yes! I'm looking forward to him taking credit for this, too. He will be so excited to see them! :)