Uses for Prescription Bottles

Category Reusing
Old prescription bottles can come in handy for sorting, storage and craft projects. The come in a variety of sizes and it's not hard to find a use for them around the house. This is a page about uses for prescription bottles.

I have seen several people ask about uses for pill bottles and decided to give my assorted uses for them.

By Linda from Bloomington, IL from Bloomington, IL

Keep straight pins in a prescription medication bottle. This keeps them out of children's hands.

By Kirsten from Logan, UT

Instead of buying travel sized bottles of shampoo and other things, at our house we used old prescription medicine bottles. They ones with the kid proof lid from Walgreen's can hold liquids without leaking.

It saves a lot of money and helps the environment too.

For quite some time, I've been using old vitamin bottles, pill bottles, etc., to store the lancets, blood test strips, etc., I use to check my glucose levels, until they can be disposed of.

Fill empty prescription bottles with the labels removed two thirds full of water and freeze for a quick little ice pack for children's "owies". This would also be a nice portable thing to take on a picnic or hike for the same use.

When I create a "custom" color with acrylic paint, I'll pour the "leftovers" into an empty, clean prescription bottle.

I have had some rather large pill bottles that would hold a lot of coins, so I decided to sort them and label each bottle by quarter, dime and so on. I was amazed how much money you can save in those pill bottles.

This little craft makes a plain pill bottle into a pretty storage container, by using the picture from a greeting card. I used mine for my sewing needles.

finished container

I am on several different medications and every month I would throw the bottles away, because I did not know of any use for them, other than beading. The other night, I thought maybe they can be used in the bottom of plant jars, along with rocks.

I found the labels were really easy to get off my med bottles, so I am going to use them for this year's and last years seeds. I may also use them for craft stuff. So now whenever I finish a medication I clean the bottle and remove the label.

pill bottles

When putting away seasonal things that contain loose screws, bolts, etc., take an empty safety capped pill bottle to store them in. Label and then select a drawer or empty tool box/container to keep them in.

I save pill and film containers to put quarters in - for laundry, toll booths, snack vending machines, car wash, vacuum coin slots, or anything else I need quarters for in a hurry. They fit easily in my purse or in my car cup holder and they don't take up too much room.

When you are all done with a prescription bottle, save it to discard old craft needles or small knives in. Throw out the entire container. Wide containers also will hold a rotary cutter blade to dispose of.

Use old clean medicine containers to store change, buttons, or anything small. Just make sure you wash it carefully.

Are there any uses other than tossing?

Answers

Best Answer

YES! You never throw them away!! I empty, boil, remove label & keep some for bead storage & I am currently making them into pill storage for my purse! Pill boxes are too expensive so I'm creating them myself.

There are thousands of uses for all sizes of plastic pill bottles! If you don't want yours, please send them to people such as myself who do in fact Upcycle, Recycle! I'd be glad to send you my address!

Where can you sell empty prescription bottles?

By Brenda from Fairhaven, MA

I am looking for suggestions for baby shower favors using empty prescription bottles.

Answers

Best Answer

Paint them pink and blue and fill with mints.

Best Answer

First, just be sure to sterilize the bottles with hot water. Some pills leave residue and you would not want any guests to get sick from the bottle (sorry--I am just a safety first gal).

There are so many cute ideas for pill bottles.

There are lots of label templates online where you could have clever "prescriptions" for the bottles (which could be filled with nuts or candy for favors. The labels I have seen are all over the place from cute (take two candies and call the new mommy in the morning) to simple...thanks for coming to "Jane's" baby shower and the date.

Even cuter, you can drill a small hole in them and use them as shades for white twinkle lights that you string around the room. They cast a pretty orange glow that makes a nice gender neutral background if you are going that route just add some green and yellow accents and you have a lovely gender neutral palate.

You could use them as part of a game--like hot potato--fill the bottles with candy and have people pass them off as fast as they can and every time the host says stop, the people holding the bottle are out. The last people standing win door prizes.

Pinterest can be your friend! They have dozens of cute ideas for using old pill bottles in clever ways!

Best Answer

Paint a little baby rattle on each one, fill with beans, and they can be used as noisemakers.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to use empty prescription bottles? Unfortunately I receive many medications on a monthly basis and I really do not want to throw them out. I have been using the large ones to collect spare change, mainly quarters for laundry. Thanks for your feedback!

By Myrna from Bronx, NY

Can I legally reuse my prescription bottles? I put flax seed in empty ones. Do I have to take the label off?

By Karen

How can I earn money with old medicine bottles?

Angelica from Thomaston, GA

Answers

I think you woud have to make sure that they are TOTALLY clean - no residue at all - and the label peeled off. You could put small things into them and maybe decorate the outside somehow? and sell them as some sort of unique gift for older kids, put homemade lip balm or lotion into them, Market them as travel holders for safety pins/toothpicks/sewing kit.

Good luck with this. Remember that one man's trash is another man's million dollars!

What do you mean by medicine bottles? Do you mean plastic prescription medicine containers? I wasn't aware you could earn money with them. Could you give anymore info? Were you wanting to making something with them, or Sell the empty containers? You need to be more specific as I don't know for sure what you mean.

I have tons of empty prescription containers that I've pulled off the labels and 'cept for saving a few for my own use, plan to see if I can donate to an animal hospital for them to dispense pet meds.

Load More

Better Living Green Living ReusingOctober 18, 2011
😷
🌻
😎
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf000596.tip.html