Uses for Prescription Bottles

Category Reusing
Old prescription bottles can come in handy for sorting, storage and craft projects. The come in a variety of sizes and it's not hard to find a use for them around the house. This is a guide about uses for prescription bottles.

I have seen several people ask about uses for pill bottles and decided to give my assorted uses for them.

By Linda from Bloomington, IL from Bloomington, IL

Keep straight pins in a prescription medication bottle. This keeps them out of children's hands.

By Kirsten from Logan, UT

You can use a prescription bottle to make a little sewing kit for travel or as a gift for a college student. It's the perfect size to fit a couple small spools of thread, a few needles, a needle threader, a thimble and some buttons.

Instead of buying travel sized bottles of shampoo and other things, at our house we used old prescription medicine bottles. They ones with the kid proof lid from Walgreen's can hold liquids with out leaking. It saves a lot of money and helps the environment too. The best way to mark the bottle is to write what it in it on a paper label with a sharpie marker.

Source: This is a tip we came up with after learning the the Walgreen's prescription bottles could hold water without leaking.

By McCollonough from TN

Editor's Note: Check with your airlines to make sure that this would be acceptable for airport security checks.

For quite some time, I've been using old vitamin bottles, pill bottles, etc., to store the lancets, blood test strips, etc., I use to check my glucose levels, until they can be disposed of.

Fill empty prescription bottles with the labels removed two thirds full of water and freeze for a quick little ice pack for children's "owies". This would also be a nice portable thing to take on a picnic or hike for the same use.

When I create a "custom" color with acrylic paint, I'll pour the "leftovers" into an empty, clean prescription bottle.

I have had some rather large pill bottles that would hold a lot of coins, so I decided to sort them and label each bottle by quarter, dime and so on. I was amazed how much money you can save in those pill bottles.

This is a guide about making a pill bottle first aid kit. Having a mini first aid kit in your purse or backpack can come in handy.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 11

I am on several different medications and every month I would throw the bottles away, because I did not know of any use for them, other than beading. The other night, I thought maybe they can be used in the bottom of plant jars, along with rocks.

This is a guide about making a pill bottle hide-a-key. It is easy to have a weather proof hidden key outside your home to make sure you can always get inside.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 6

I found the labels were really easy to get off my med bottles, so I am going to use them for this year's and last years seeds. I may also use them for craft stuff. So now whenever I finish a medication I clean the bottle and remove the label.

When putting away seasonal things that contain loose screws, bolts, etc., take an empty safety capped pill bottle to store them in. Label and then select a drawer or empty tool box/container to keep them in.

I save pill and film containers to put quarters in - for laundry, toll booths, snack vending machines, car wash, vacuum coin slots, or anything else I need quarters for in a hurry. They fit easily in my purse or in my car cup holder and they don't take up too much room.

Rather than throwing them away or into the recycle bin, you can make many creative projects using medicine or pill bottles. This is a guide about craft ideas for used medicine or pill bottles.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

This little craft makes a plain pill bottle into a pretty storage container, by using the picture from a greeting card. I used mine for my sewing needles.

When you are all done with a prescription bottle, save it to discard old craft needles or small knives in. Throw out the entire container. Wide containers also will hold a rotary cutter blade to dispose of.

Use old clean medicine containers to store change, buttons, or anything small. Just make sure you wash it carefully.

Are there any uses other than tossing?

Answers

Best Answer

YES! You never throw them away!! I empty, boil, remove label & keep some for bead storage & I am currently making them into pill storage for my purse! Pill boxes are too expensive so I'm creating them myself.

There are thousands of uses for all sizes of plastic pill bottles! If you don't want yours, please send them to people such as myself who do in fact Upcycle, Recycle! I'd be glad to send you my address!

Where can you sell empty prescription bottles?

By Brenda from Fairhaven, MA

Answers

You may be able to recycle them, but you won't be able to sell them. They can't be re-used for other medications. Pills tend to leave a bit of themselves in the bottle and combining that drug with another could be dangerous. Washing them out and using them for crafts etc may be a way to go as well. Whatever you do don't forget to take the label off or mark the information out with a dark marker, you don't need to share that information.

You can recycle them. Take them to your pharmacy and drop them off.

Or you can recycle them for your own purposes, like buttons or bead.

I too have been looking for a "taker" for my prescription bottles. I have about 6 per month, which adds up. I can't stand the idea of these going into the landfill, but pharmacies don't take them. I know you can't sell them, but isn't there somebody who can use a lot of them for some purpose?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to use empty prescription bottles? Unfortunately I receive many medications on a monthly basis and I really do not want to throw them out. I have been using the large ones to collect spare change, mainly quarters for laundry. Thanks for your feedback!

By Myrna from Bronx, NY

Can I legally reuse my prescription bottles? I put flax seed in empty ones. Do I have to take the label off?

By Karen

How can I earn money with old medicine bottles?

Angelica from Thomaston, GA

Answers

I think you woud have to make sure that they are TOTALLY clean - no residue at all - and the label peeled off. You could put small things into them and maybe decorate the outside somehow? and sell them as some sort of unique gift for older kids, put homemade lip balm or lotion into them, Market them as travel holders for safety pins/toothpicks/sewing kit.

Good luck with this. Remember that one man's trash is another man's million dollars!

What do you mean by medicine bottles? Do you mean plastic prescription medicine containers? I wasn't aware you could earn money with them. Could you give anymore info? Were you wanting to making something with them, or Sell the empty containers? You need to be more specific as I don't know for sure what you mean.

I have tons of empty prescription containers that I've pulled off the labels and 'cept for saving a few for my own use, plan to see if I can donate to an animal hospital for them to dispense pet meds.

I don't know that you can earn a lot of money with pill bottles they do however, have uses. We run a bird rescue and toys are very expensive. I sometimes use the bottles as foot toys for the smaller guys. I put plastic 'pony' beads inside so it makes a rattle noise. They LOVE it. Diane

If we are speaking of used prescription bottles. I have taken stock. I use the larger ones to store cone/stick incense. I also use the larger ones to store fresh,dried herbs. The smaller bottles I use as vitamin organizers. I glue 7 to a box, and marked each lid with the corresponding letter of the week. My daughter makes jewelry, so we use the small bottles for findings and beads,etc, etc,.

By Cathy (Guest Post)

Are you referring to old, glass medicine bottles?

Has anybody figured out a use for those blue cases that some prescriptions come in?

By sheila hagen from Boise, ID

I have a zillion empty old prescription bottles, the plastic kind and don't have the heart to get rid of them. I know they could be used for something. Any ideas? - Murph

My husband and I have a lot of medicine bottles that I throw away. I hate throwing them away if they can be used for something else. Could someone give me some ideas on how to recycle them?

Load More