Prescription Bottles for Travel Size Toiletries

Instead of buying travel sized bottles of shampoo and other things, at our house we used old prescription medicine bottles. They ones with the kid proof lid from Walgreen's can hold liquids with out leaking. It saves a lot of money and helps the environment too. The best way to mark the bottle is to write what it in it on a paper label with a sharpie marker.

Source: This is a tip we came up with after learning the the Walgreen's prescription bottles could hold water without leaking.

By McCollonough from TN

Editor's Note: Check with your airlines to make sure that this would be acceptable for airport security checks.

Never thought of that use but we do use them to keep matches dry for camping. Also, I use them to organize change in my car and have used them for small items like jewelry when traveling to keep them from being crushed in my suitcase.

To the Editor: If it's less than 3 ounces, why would there be a problem?

They should be technically ok but prescription bottles may be scrutinized more closely than commercially packaged travel toiletries, especially if they still have the old prescription information. This can be a hassle or delay for TSA.

It's something to keep in mind when weighing time vs. money.

If you try this tip, please let us know how it works out. The original tip was posted in 2010 and some of the TSA screening criteria may have changed over the years. I remember how surprised I was the first time I had to remove my shoes at the airport.