Common Sense Holiday Gift Giving

Common sense tells you not to buy those pajamas's when you have no idea what someone's size is. Get them a gift certificate or ask them what they want or need first. In the current time of having to be thrifty with your money and make it stretch way beyond what you think you should, something handmade or a box of favorite candies will suffice as a warm message to someone to just show them you care.

Believe me, 85 percent of us don't want anyone going into debt for Christmas, so be sensible. If you can't afford a gift without putting it on plastic, don't. We'd rather have some time with you or maybe a message of love from the heart. We're not looking for material gifts, just ones of love. The best gift anyone could give is a great big hug and some prayers.

By Gem from VA

Gem, I love your practical mind. I could've bopped hubby for putting an entire pajama set for me (robe, slippers and all) on his Sears card last year at 25.24% interest! Now he's finally come to the realization that, at his age, he needs to reduce his debt load. If all goes as planned, we'll have that ridiculously high-interest card mostly paid off by this time next year. Better yet, he's recognized that we can't shop for grandkids who want high-end toys and gadgets for Christmas. We'll share what we have instead, love and lots of hugs!

Amen, Gem! And it's about love and the reason for the season! Thank you for your most lovely tip!

I wish everybody had your outlook. Life would be so much nicer! Unfortunately, certain people to whom you owe "duty" gifts such as the mother in law, wont look at it that way, expensive gifts are expected to show off to friends how much they are loved and cared for! Duh!

To me, the real magic of Christmas is love. I enjoy being with my family and I'm so looking forward to having them this Christmas.

Let's not forget that Jesus is the reason for the season.

Holidays and Parties Christmas Gifts AdviceDecember 2, 2010
A child putting coins in a donation bucket.
Teaching Kids About Holiday Giving
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
age clay pot
Giving Clay Pots an Aged Look
Gifts That Cost Nothing
Inexpensive Gift Ideas for Coworkers