Food Ideas For Wedding On a Budget

I need great ideas for my wedding in April. I don't have any clue what to serve at a reception for about 150 people, with not a lot of money?

Jennifer from Conway, SC

Best Answer

For food, go to your local grocery store (like Amealia's) and you can get chicken wings and make them yourselves. Buy big tubs at the dollar stores and fill up with chips and stuff. When K-mart or Wal-mart has soda cans on sale, stock up big time. Get family to help out.

Trust me, I had about 80-100 people and we paid everything up front. We didn't get a traditional wedding cake but got a large cake with our colors of blue and black. The wedding was beautiful and the reception was wonderful. It was held that in my sister-in-law's basement painted blue. Brother-in-law was DJ, I served and my husband did the grilling.

For your wedding dress, go to the JC Penney outlet store upstairs. They are real cheap. You can probably get your bridesmaids dresses too.

Best Answer

We live in Eastern Idaho and there is a Pepperidge Farm outlet near Logan, Utah, about 3 hours away. When my brother's children have gotten married, they have had a finger food buffet. They make a trip to the outlet and purchased HUGE bags of slightly defective cookies (you can't even tell they are defective) for SO CHEAP! They stay in the freezer until a few days before the wedding. Everybody wolfs them down at the reception!

Another idea is to buy roast meat when it is on sale. If you have to you can freeze if before you cook it. With the roast meat you can make bar-b-que beef. It tastes great and feeds a lot of people. You can serve rolls with the bar-b-que beef along with salads like pasta salad and macroni salad. I live in a small town and the people around here love it.

here are some Army recipes :

where you will find several different cakes to feed 100 -- from there you can do the math I'm sure for your 150 guests.

To make short work of finding what you want on this really LONG list : use your find key or Ctrl+F.

Not sure about the cost though.I hope this helps !

Or maybe you could have a carry in dinner - some people call them "pot luck" ?

I just found this clever recipe size converter after reading another post ! So you don't even have to "do the math" !

This website, "growlies for Groups" gives a breakdown of how to cater for large groups, I would not suggest that the bride should do it, but maybe her friends or family. Also an old hotel restaurant trick, buy a small cake for show called a "hero" in the business, for the cake cutting pictures, etc. but have a sheet cake of the same variety to actually serve to guests.

I'm doing my son's wedding in Oct. and I'm serving 300 people. I'm starting with potato soup, maidrites, mac. salad, fruit salad, relish tray and salsa and chips for the center piece on each table. all this will be under $250.00. Remember it's not the food, it's the taste that will be talked about and remembered.

Try a spiral ham, rolls and salads. Not much preparation and everyone loves it.

At our wedding, we did fruit/veggies, meatballs and baked potato bar. This was a huge hit. We bought 50 lbs. potatoes for $15, washed them and wrapped them the night before. Then we simply cooked them all night very low at more than one house. Then transported them in coolers to stay warm. We had about $20 in toppings and people still talk about this and it was so cheap to feed a lot!

Food Ideas for Wedding on a Budget
Food Ideas for Wedding on a Budget
Weddings FoodJanuary 9, 2008
A married couple in a moutain setting.
Ideas for a "Green" Wedding
Colorful Bridal Bouquets
Choosing Wedding Colors
Bride and Groom Putting Money in Piggy Bank
Creating a Budget for Your Wedding
Wedding Dress Sale square
Saving Money on a Wedding Dress