Christmas Card Photo Ideas

There are many ways to create your own personalized cards for the holidays. This guide contains Christmas card photo ideas.

December 6, 2011 Flag

The new gazebo at the end of our dock cried out for decoration this season.

By sabou

Christmas Dock

Would you mind to share the original photo? The original would be much more refreshing and interesting than one that looks like a mass manufactured Christmas card.

This picture is so perfect it kind of makes me wonder. Like Deeli, I would like to see the original.

November 21, 2007 Flag

We have had so many great photo ideas submitted that we have broken this into two articles.

Here is the link to the second section if you still need more ideas. Post your own Christmas card photo here.

Happy Holidays!

Three Ideas For A Couple

The first Christmas as a married couple, we did a Grinch inspired card that read "Merry Grinchmas and Happy Who-Year". Since then, our friends and family expect funny cards.

Our second year married, my husband and I pretended to be asleep in our bed. I took a separate picture of our dog in a Santa costume then, using Photoshop, superimposed him in a thought bubble. The card read, "The Nemecs were nestled, all snug in their bed while visions of Jack danced in their heads."

Last year, our third Christmas together, we made milk mustaches and had a plate of cookies in front of us and were toasting with champagne glasses filled with milk. On a fluke, the dog stuck his tongue in the glass as the camera went off, and the picture was hysterical. It read: "Wishing you a milky white Christmas."

By Melissa

Photo From Our "Crib"

RE: Christmas Card Photo Ideas

We dressed our new baby in a red hat and red converse hightops and a diaper. We strung Christmas lights and garland around her crib and propped some stuffed animals around her. "Merry Christmas from Our Crib to Yours!"

By Kelly

Reason For The Season

RE: Christmas Card Photo Ideas This year we are using the following Photo. Our card will say:

"Remembering the reason for the season... Happy Birthday Baby Jesus!"

By mom2mybs

Christmas Joy

Here is the easiest Christmas card we've ever done because we could take separate pictures of each child instead of all three kids having to look right in one Photo (which is nearly impossible for us).

By Debra from Alabama

Children Are A Gift

Here's ours from last year. We got a file box and wrapped the bottom and top separately. Added some tissue paper and popped our then 6-month-old daughter inside. The rest was pure luck! The expression on both their faces is priceless. We still giggle every time we see this picture.

By AlpharettaMom

Baby Santa

Baby Santa

Here's our first Christmas card Photo last year of our daughter who was 4 months old. I just put it on a Photo card with a Santa that read "HO HO HO".

By Angela

Perfect Tree And Other Ideas

RE: Christmas Card Photo Ideas

We try to do a unique card every year too. We are a big sports family, so I dressed our oldest son in his football uniform with a Santa Hat, our middle daughter in her soccer uniform with a Santa hat, then our youngest son in his tee-ball uniform with his Santa hat. We sat basketballs, bats, gloves, baseballs, soccerballs all around. The caption was: "Merry Christmas from our HOME TEAM to yours!"

Last year, I took our Santa hats to the beach and had the Kids stand by the surf in their swimsuits. I put it in black and white and colored in the Santa hats. I ended up not using this one because I got an impromptu shot that was better. We went to the mountains to a Christmas Tree farm to choose and cut down our own tree. This was the first time we had ever done that. I took my camera just to document the day and snapped a pic of the kids by our choice of tree. I used the caption "We found the perfect tree. Hope you have a perfect Christmas".

By Lisa from Taylorsville, NC

Bubbles Of Fun

Bubble bath pictures

We did the bubble bath pictures and highlighted the hats and rosied up their cheeks. We typed "wishing you bubbles of fun this holiday season" We got a ton of great feedback!

By Maria

Lucky Shot

RE: Christmas Card Photo Ideas

Sometimes you don't know you have the right picture until you look them over later. We had given up on getting our one-year old in a Santa Suit and our dog with reindeer antlers to pose and look at the camera at the same time. We tried everything including props such as a dog treats and a Christmas ornament for him to toss. After over 50 pictures of him pulling the dogs antlers, taking off his hat, falling over, and sobbing we decided to pack it in. The next morning we came across this gem - a little Photo enhancement and Voila!

By Amanda

Better Not Pout

Last year we had a 3 year old and a new baby of 2 months. I thought posing them in Santa hats would be really cute but somehow it failed. Madeline the 3 year old was mad that she was having to pose and Max the baby was fed up and hungry as well. So, despite all efforts I ended up putting the picture of her pouting and the picture of him screaming together and titled it "Better Not Pout".

Be Mary

RE: Christmas Card Photo Ideas

This year we took a picture of a neighbor's Nativity Scene and superimposed a picture of our daughter dressed as Mary. The Outside says "It's Christmas". The inside says "Be Mary".

By Kelly

Santa, I Can Explain

We did the 'Santa, I can explain' one

We did the "Santa, I can explain" one.

By Stacey

Under The Mistletoe

Under the misteltoe

One of my twins was determined to catch the other under the mistletoe one way or the other!

By Debra from Alabama

The Incredibles

RE: Christmas Card Photo Ideas

We wanted to do something different for our Christmas cards/picture this year. The outcome was "Incredible!" I made the costumes and had a friend (who happens to work for the local newspaper) come over and take the picture in our living room. We cleared out the furniture and just had a fun Photo shoot. Then I used my Photo editing software to add everything else in (and remove my living room wall!)

By The Eastman Family

Cut And Paste Incredibles

RE: Christmas Card Photo Ideas

Cut your heads out in a paint program or Photoshop and paste them into a picture. We then added the Santa hats.

Santa's Boots

RE: Christmas Card Photo Ideas This idea came from one of your readers from a couple of years ago. We placed my grandson in front of the fireplace with his pajamas on. A pair of red velvet "pants" (really only 2 velvet tubes I sewed from left over fabric stuffed with fiberfill) were placed coming from the chimney. We placed old boots on the floor and tucked in the pants.

By peggie

Naughty Or Nice

RE: Christmas Card Photo Ideas

This is the shot I used for my 2003 Christmas picture. On my card I wrote: " He's making a list, and checking it twice, gonna find out who's naughty or nice. Santa Claus is coming to town!" I thought it was so cute!

By mysixpack

Silent And Peaceful

RE: Christmas Card Photo Ideas

Last year we used one of the ideas posted here - the silent, peaceful one :)

By Mia

Little Bakers

RE: Christmas Card Photo Ideas

We used the little bakers idea last year. We got so many comments on the card! Thanks for the idea!

By Jen L

Baby Jesus

One of the cutest Christmas cards we did was take a Photo of my two girls dressed as angels (ages 8 and 10) and my infant son swaddled in a white blanket in a manger so it looked like baby Jesus with the angels looking over him. We just took the Photo at the church in front of the pulpit and used the candle lighter robes for the girls. The church had the manger from the nativity scene. I have gotten so many complements on this and have even been asked for the original so that an a friend could blow the Photo up and use it as decoration during the holidays!

By Nebraska Mom

Night Before Christmas

RE: Christmas Card Photo Ideas

Here's our card from last year. We had my son, who was 7, reading The Night Before Christmas to his 18 month old twin sisters.

By Amy

Have Everyone Over For Christmas

RE: Christmas Card Photo Ideas

Something I did with a little cutting and pasting last year.

By Tim

Have A Rockin' Christmas

rockin211x250.gif We've been trying to come up with new ideas for years now. We've done the snowman with the kids' faces in the snowballs, we've done the "Ho Ho Ho" with the faces in the O's. Last year, we set the kids up with some musical instruments in the basement with a white sheet as a background, then cut out the photos and superimposed them on a Photo of a Christmas tree I found on the web (our tree wasn't up yet). The caption read "Have a Rockin' Christmas!"

By Pete

Feet At The Beach

RE: Christmas Card Photo Ideas

We were not at the beach, but at the library swingset. But we loved this picture of all of our feet in the sand.

By Nichole

Happy Mistletoes

This was our card from last year. "Happy Mistletoes" It went over very well! We used the one with our toes up in the air, but the other one is cute too, shaped like a wreath.

By Julie

Christmas 2011

I came up with this idea based on another idea shared on this website. Love this site...I come to it every year to look for ideas.

I took these ideas and ran with one of them this past Christmas. I took a picture in front of our Christmas tree, and "antiqued" the pic a bit.

Above their heads, I wrote, "Silent Night, Holy Night". Along the bottom I wrote, "Yes.....Yes It Is....Merry Christmas From The Haselhorsts" We got so many compliments from everyone we sent these to.

One of the comments was: "Best card we got this year, hands down!" The kids were giggling through then entire photo shoot. My son even took off with the tape and tried to convince me to take more pictures of just him with tape all over (I didn't).

We had a great time. Only had one family member who wasn't impressed (I found out through the grapevine, but this person isn't known for a great sense of humor), but everyone else loved it! Love this site! Thank you!

November 18, 2014 Flag

I propped my 3 month old on his belly and elbows and put an adult sized Santa hat on him. I also got photos of him sleeping in his elf outfit that said, "Santa's little helper" and cropped the photos into a website that provided the template and ordered enough for everyone on my Christmas card list!

That was awesome! What website did you find to do all that?

October 2, 2009 Flag

My son was a knight for Halloween, so it was great to get double duty from his costume!

By michelle731

Excellent reuse of the costume. Was it planned this way or did you do it intentionally for Halloween and Christmas? Very adorable either way.

Whew, cute but borderline creepy. I could handle a finger shh over the mouth, but, personally, the duct tape gives me the chills. To each their own. I'm glad your son got some fun out of it. it is a clever play on words! lol

August 17, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about Christmas card photo ideas with pets. Many pet owners like to include their pets in the family photo for their homemade Christmas cards.

Dog and cat in santa hats.  Dog is licking the plate of cookies left out for Santa and the cat is drinking the milk.

August 2, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about Christmas card photo ideas with kids. Homemade Christmas cards with photos of the kids are fun to make and a great way to share photos with family and friends.

Two boys in santa hats looking out window in hopes of seeing Santa

November 15, 2007 Flag

I saw a great idea for a Christmas card on here and wondered if someone could tell me how to do it. They took individual pictures of their kids and made them into one picture. I've tried to figure it out but haven't had any success. Thanks!

Best Answer

You can do that - if you are skillful - with any photo editing software - like Photoshop -

Best Answer

You get them on the computer. Use the cut and paste star or box in paint brush. No need for professional editing or pricey software.

Best Answer

September 30, 2008 Flag

We love the movie "A Christmas Story". So last year we decided to pay tribute to the scene the boys love best, which is where one kid dares the other kid to stick his tongue to a frozen flag pole. I used my photo software to change the picture to black and white and frosted the edges. The caption on the card read "WE TRIPLE DOG DARE YOU TO HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS". Everyone loved it!

December 8, 2011 Flag

Get a box large enough to fit your baby in it. Wrap the box and put a ribbon on it. Place the baby in the box and put a bow on top of his or her head. You take the picture outside in the snow, or under your tree.

A cute Christmas present photo idea.

November 21, 2008 Flag

We have had so many great photo ideas submitted that we have broken this into two articles. Post your own Christmas card photo.

Load More
Holidays and Parties Christmas CardsNovember 20, 2012
Making Christmas Cards
Christmas Card Caption Ideas
A pile of old photos.
Making a Photo Quilt
Engagement Photo Ideas
Engagement Photo Ideas