Burlap Bag Advent Calendar

Category Decorations
Make your own custom Advent calendar for your Christmas countdown. Using homemade burlap bags, fill the daily bags with candy or a special message.

I decided to get crafty and make my own advent calendar, since I was having trouble finding one that I liked. This calendar is very versatile simply made of 24 burlap bags, wooden clothes pins and rope. These small burlap bags are perfect for a piece of candy or a slip of paper with an activity you can do together as a family. I like to fill them with an activity but I like being able to choose to put a treat inside when I am feeling lazy. Each day I fill them before my kids open it, this way I can choose what I am in the mood for doing that day.

A template for the activity cards can be found here: advent_calendar_activities.pdf

• burlap fabric
  • sewing machine
  • wooden clothes pins
  • rope
  • accent ribbon
  • activity cards
  • number print out
  • Tape

1. Cut your burlap into 7 inch squares.
  2. Advertisement

3. Fold the fabric over and sew around the bottom and up one side.
  4. Fold over the top and hem with a zig zag stitch.
  5. I found an advent calendar number printout by searching google. Find one you like and print it out. Then cut them out.
  6. There are tons of ideas out there for advent activities. I attached the PDF of the activities I used this year.
  7. With a tape roll attach each number to a burlap bag.
  8. Advertisement

9. Fill the bags now if you wish, or wait to do it each morning, like I do.
  10. Tie a ribbon or string around each bag.
  11. Hang your rope where you would like your advent calendar to be. This would look great hung from a mantle. We currently live in Vietnam, since there is no use for a fireplace here, this wasn't a choice for us. ;)
  12. Pin up each burlap bag to the rope and take a step back and marvel in your creation then pat yourself on the back for a job well done.
  13. Advertisement

14. Each day that your kids take a number down pin it back up backwards.

Beautiful idea ! :)

I absolutely love how this looks and the style of the advent calendar. :)

Crafts Christmas DecorationsJanuary 20, 2020
💘
🍀

Generated 2020-01-21 23:07:04 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️