Decorating a Wedding Reception

Category Reception
Next to the ceremony itself, the wedding reception is the next most important event of the day. Decorating the space used for this post-ceremony celebration is an important part of the planning process. This is a guide about decorating a wedding reception.

Frequently certain venues used for a wedding reception have other purposes and are decorated for those daily functions. This is a guide about covering up hall decorations for a wedding reception.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about decorating a barn for a wedding reception. With the right decorations an old barn can become a unique and charming venue for your wedding reception.

And instead of a wedding shower or bachelorette party ask your family and friends to help you with decorating the establishment you choose. The day before just plan a 'party' and lunch. And most the time family and friends are great at donating for the occasion without being asked!

By Kat

My daughter is getting married in June 2005. We are having a simple reception (cake, punch, fruit/veggie trays, finger foods). We will be having the wedding/reception outdoors around noon (the time hasn't been set in stone as of this writing). The wedding will take place in a beautiful field.

My problem is I need suggestions on how to decorate the pavillions where the reception wil be held. I have suggested using tulle and fabric in her wedding colors (yellow/white) to drape the beams, even an ivy/flower combo.

She is not very impressed with either idea. She has specific ideas about every aspect of this day except for the pavillion decor (She does, however know that she wants the tables to be dressed in white linen with a yellow/white gingham runner. She will also be setting the tables with simple daisy centerpieces)

I am running out of ideas and time. June will be here before I know it. I am open to and will appreciate any and all suggestions.

Amy

Answers

By Julie UK (Guest Post)

What about cutting daisy shapes (to match the colour scheme) from tissue, laminating them, punching holes in each, and then hanging them individually and in groups on different length strings from the beams? or around the walls? They will move in the breeze and look really effective.

By Donna (Guest Post)

If the time ends up later in the day, white christmas lights looks beautiful. Friends of mine had done the pavillions with them along with the ivy/flower combo as well. They had yellow and white roses.

I am having an outdoor picnic reception in June as well! We are making our own centerpieces out of wildflowers and using tin pails from the craft store as vases. Larger grocery stores can usually get inexpensive wholesale flowers as long as you give them enough time.

By kelly (Guest Post)

Wild flowers in simple canning jars make beautiful decorations and can be hung using strong wire wrapped around the neck of a jar and the looped to make a handle. You can also do the same thing with canning jars and put a little sand a votive candle in.

Would fit the feel of the wedding. I LOVE the daisy chain idea!! If you can find a nice enough looking fake daisy chain, you could use that around the pavilion also.

You can use Christmas lights with the tool and even add flowers to it. We did a grape theme with way and it looked great as it grew dark the lights looked great.

By Katie (Guest Post)

How about japanese lanterns blowing in the wind, to create a soft romantic light. Simplicity is the greatest key to an unforgettable and classic wedding. The tulle idea is great, you can incorporate it into the backings of the chairs as well. Everything should have a flowing movement. Floating daisies will work as well with floating candles. Just some thoughts...

By Melissa H (Guest Post)

You're at an outdoor pavilion, there is no need for anything decorating the pavilion poles because of the beautiful surroundings. The tables are covered with white flowing linen table cloths and the chairs may even be covered with white linen slip covers. The center piece on each table would be a tall slender vase , at least two feet tall, filled with an asortment of white daiseys and greenery.

to add a little yellow I have seen some lemons thinly sliced lineing the inside of the vase with whole lemons inside to hold it all together. Of course there is water too . Look into some arangements with whole and sliced fruit with flowers , what a refreshing and summery look.

By Stephanie (Guest Post)

I am also have an outdoor reception at a pavilion and my colors are Butter and white. Can you tell me where you found the Gingham table runners? I wanted plaid incorperated into my day b/c we are doing picnic style. Thanks for any help

By Amy (Guest Post)

Stephanie, we are making the table runners. I have had no luck finding any so we just did it this way. You can buy the material almost anywhere, and get get 3 out of 2 1/2 yards by cutting the material in length 3x!! (this would be for 6ft tables of course) Good luck!!

By Misty (Guest Post)

You could paint terra cotta pots white, or any other color, and tie with a pretty yellow ribbon. Place a styrofoam ball, cut in half with the flat side up, and hot glue into place inside of pot, then place a white candle in a votive cup in the center and surround with moss. Around the entire outside lip of the pot attach faux daisies. This is so pretty and delicate as a centerpiece. Also, with some florists tape, tape a pen from the bottom up. At the top of the pen place a faux daisy then place the pens inside of a glass vase filled with colored sand. Place small notecards with a daisy theme in a basket on each table. Ask your guests to use the daisy pens and notecards to write something to inspire the newlyweds.

Something to think about, and I'm sure it will be very pretty. I am also having an outdoor wedding, but my reception will be held indoors... think of this... It's june... prime season for bugs, and with food out, it's hard to keep everything preseved nice. Also, with the heat (depending on your area) the icing on the cake may have a hard time holding up too. As for the outdoor pavillion, it sounds wonderfully amazing by itself, I would leave the decoration thing alone, plus it will save you money. A nice touch though may be balloons.. yellow ands white, mainly around the poles and near each end of the tables... Bubbles also add a nice touch... think about getting some bubble machines and decorating them in yellow and white and having them blow bubbles all throughout the reception.. happy hunting and good luck!

By Leona (Guest Post)

You can save alot of money by buying glass votives or vases fill them 1/4 the way up w/ colored fish tank gravel push in some tea light candle and put a few daisies around the tealight. Buy some miniture hershey candy bars at your local grocer. Make your own personalized wrappers on your computer the best way is using your lable program. Go to your local walmart and buy tulle it is only a dollar a yard.

By lola (Guest Post)

My idea is to keep it very simple and natural (nothing fake like fake flowers). Tuille in white on the outside poles of the pavillion, thick anf flowing tied in the center would be nice. I would also keep the centerpiece natural, real flowers.

By Kristian (Guest Post)

Where my reception is being held there is a pool, i don't want swimming so i want to put some sort of floating decoration in the pool. PLEASE ANY IDEAS WILL HELP

By Tova (Guest Post)

I have a problem i getting married in 8/06 here in oklahoma its very hot out around this time of year..I want a evening wedding but i'm stumped on where to have the wedding and on the decoration i know i want my colors to be burgundy/pink/ivory..and the reception will be held indoors just to preserve the food and save my guest from bugs.. Please send advice

I have another wedding question. Any ideas for outdoor wedding decorations, tablecloths and centerpieces? White and pink are the colors and I don't want them to blow away.

Thanks!

Hope

Answers

By Robin (Guest Post)

Glue Gun..........Floral wire

Different craft stores have the tablecloth clips, I think some have ones with white flowers or doves. A trellis done up with white flowers, ivy and tulle are always a hit with outdoor weddings. Ivy and tulle can be put anywhere and it looks nice. If you go with the trellis idea use a glue gun.

By Tanya (Guest Post)

I am also having an outdoor reception under a pavilion. You could get the plastic table clothes for a party store or dollar store. Get white and pink colours.You can adhere them to the tables underneath with masking tape. Then on the top you can get floating candle bowls, They have 10 for 30 dollars on EBAY, buy the floating candles, you can find them very affordable on EBAY, or if you use Froogle to compare prices. That can be your centerpieces. Then get clear votive candles holders with pink and white candles inside. Also buy silk rose petals, in pink and white and sprinkle them all over the table.

By Barbara (Guest Post)

An idea "I" had for my dd's wedding (she didn't like the idea)....was a 'rustic, or country' look, i.e. quilts draped over the fence, flower pots on barrels, small lanterns as centerpieces, serged calico table toppers on top of white tablecloths, flower bags hung from fence posts.

By Kathy in UPSTATE NY (Guest Post)

Planning an outdoor wedding ceremony & reception for my own daughter in 7/2006. We are using the table linens as part of decorations. Rnd tables w/2 90'' white or off white squares on diagonals end up w/8 distinct points at bottom and then a 72" colored overlay.The napkins will be white or off white.(All free thru caterer) Simple large clear bowl w/float candle and flower heads(gerbera daisy) and more tealights add drama !!

I'm looking for a cheap way to decorate my hall and tables. Does anyone have any ideas for decorations and a center peice to go on the middle of the tables?

Stacey From Staines Middlesex

I am stuck on decorating my garage for a wedding ceremony and reception, since it is suppose to rain and outside is out of question. How do I decorate an empty garage for a wedding ceremony and reception for 20 people? My theme colour is all blue colours.

By Patricia D.

My wedding theme is the perfect pair "pear" wedding. I am trying to get cheap ideas for wedding decoration for the tables and the hall all together. Does anybody have any decorating ideas?

By camilee pusey

I am having a wedding reception at our home in July. We have a pool and a large yard off to the side and will rent a tent, etc. I would like some ideas of decorating the tent and around the pool area, maybe something for in the pool to float. No color has been selected yet, but I can go anyway with that.

By mary lou Hamilton from Harrisburg, PA

Who is responsible for decorating the reception area? If it's me, how do I do it?
My daughter is getting married 450 miles away from home.

By Kathy

My daughter's wedding reception will be in a church activity center that has exposed steel beams in the walls for a total of 6 - 8 beams. How can I disguise them? Thank you for your input/advice.

My wedding colors are yellow and pink and the walls of the venue are blue and white. How can I cover that on a tight budget? Help!

By Erika