Decorative Styrofoam Holiday Candle
Recycle white styrofoam egg cartons to make a large candle centerpiece.
Approximate Time: One hour or more
- 15 to 20 white styrofoam egg cartons (the number needed depends on the thickness of the styrofoam
- 6 inch piece of 1/4 inch white cording for wick
- Very sharp knife (a dull knife makes a ragged edge)
- Darning needle and sturdy white thread
- Rectangular piece of white styrofoam about 6 inches by 14 inches and about 1 inch thick for base
- Cut off the lid and closure flap from each egg carton. Only the cup portions are used to make the candle.
- Standing a cup portion on end, cut about one half inch lengthwise on either side of center division. Discard center strip.
- Cut all the cartons this way. You should now have 30 - 40 sections, straight on one long side and scalloped on the other.
- Place together on table, scalloped sides down.
- Taking a needle and approx. 24 inches of thread, join cartons along the top with a running stitch through the rounded lips of the cartons.
- Repeat for the bottom.
- Stand cartons on end, gently squeezing together to make a cylinder. Secure by carefully tightening the threads top and bottom and tying a knot.
- To give a more rounded appearance to the top of the candle, trim the tiny protruding points with scissors.
- To secure the wick, cut a scrap piece of styrofoam in a circle to fit snugly in the center of the candle. Poke a small hole in the center of the circle, draw the wick through it and place in center hole of candle.
- Glue candle to rectangular piece of styrofoam and surround with artificial flowers and a bow.
By Preserver from Manitoba
Craft Project: Decorative Styrofoam Holiday Candle
It is a true tribute to your skills that I thought it was a real candle! Your idea and the wonderful instructions are perfect. I love it! (01/01/2010)
By Sandi/Poor But Proud
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
Does anyone have any directions that are shown in a picture demonstrating how you cut the egg carton, for the Decorative Styrofoam Holiday Candle project? And any other pictures showing how to make it?
By dbare from Ashe, NCAnswer this Question
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2021 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.