Finding Inexpensive Weddings Supplies

Category General
Weddings can add up to a lot of money, especially for the one time decorations and supplies. This is a guide about finding inexpensive weddings supplies.

Where can I find discounted or used wedding supplies? We're doing our wedding on a tight budget, but I have some hopes for simple elegance as well. I don't want things looking cheap or cheesy. I'm looking for glass hurricanes, vases (round or square), or bowls to use as centerpieces. I want to be able to put a candle with sand and a few seashells in each. Anyone know where I can find good deals?

The hall I'm looking at will rent us tablecloths at $3.50 each. Anyone know of a place with cheaper tablecloths? We're doing our own food thanks to the help of some family, but I don't know what to do about dishes, glasses, or silverware either. Any thoughts on this? I was trying to find a "bride exchange" of sorts where brides might go to sell used decorations. Does such a place exist? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

By Kacee from TX

Answers

Best Answer

Believe it or not, at IKEA you can buy sets of white dinnerware cheaper then you can rent dinnerware. When the reception is over, you will have your own dishes, and dishes for others. I think the same is true of the glassware, but I have never checked it out.

Best Answer

Thanks for all of the tips! I found some bowls that will work at Garden Ridge for a dollar a piece!

We're actually going to IKEA next weekend, so I'll have to check the dishes out. Keep the ideas coming!

Best Answer

We use fabulous fake plastic silverware for our catering jobs. It looks like real silverware, and people are always asking if it is real. If you are willing to pay $3.50 to rent then you might as well buy, and resell on Craig's list. If you know someone that sews, get sheets from Walmart, size them and hem. You can add anything to them; glue flowers on, or stamp on them. You can put a square mirror under your center pieces (menards). The Dollar Store sells plates and glasses. If you are going with fake flowers add a little glitter to them (this added a little sparkle to the room). Best of luck.

Does anybody know where I could buy cheap, but elegant wedding supplies, like vases, columns, silk flowers, etc.?

Thanks.

By Lana from WA

Answers:

Finding Inexpensive Weddings Supplies

Oriental Trading Company, in Omaha. You can purchase items from any state, so just Google to find their web site. (05/04/2010)

By Melanie Jackson

Finding Inexpensive Weddings Supplies

I used efavormart.com with great results! Awesome price, and if I remember right, free shipping? They have good looking product with lots of colors, variety, etc. (05/05/2010)
s

By dede smith

Finding Inexpensive Weddings Supplies

Check out dollar stores. Some have good items, some do not, so look around. (05/05/2010)

By OliveOyl

Finding Inexpensive Weddings Supplies

Check with wedding and event professionals in your area. One of the biggest mistakes people make is to purchase is that they can rent many items for much less $. Why buy vases for 10.00 each, that you will never need again, when you can rent them for a few dollars. The same goes for decor and linens, and do not waste time and money on favors! No body needs them or wants them, really, and most will be left on the tables. The only practical favors are ones you can eat, like candy or cookies. I have been in charge of weddings professionally for over 40 years, and I have learned a thing or two, the hard way. (05/06/2010)

By Pat Phillips

feeling crafty

The best places for cheap items is always thrift stores. Though the renting idea sounds like a really good deal, too. You'll find many things required for a wedding at a thrift store: vases, centerpieces, and tablecloths. Of course things won't match, but that would make it much more interesting. Instead you could have a theme, say time period which most of your purchases are from or just get items in a color scheme. This style will be more memorable.

A friend of mine purchased some fun hats from thrift stores and put them out at their wedding along with instructions to bring their own who wished and the hats were part of the decorations. It was really fun and were great conversation starters. Hope your event is great, congratulations! (05/06/2010)

By Danielle

Finding Inexpensive Weddings Supplies

Oriental Trader is good online, they have a wedding section specifically. Check eBay, you can buy huge bolts of tulle for little to nothing and you can buy cameras in bulk to put on each table; flowers, mirrors, vases, pew bow holders, unity candles, complete sets of candles holders, unity holder and candle, guestbook with pen, ringbearer pillow, cake knife and server, and glass sets for great prices.

Unlike one of the other posts, favors are wanted and are rarely left at the table. Dollar Tree and Deals 99 cent store all have great stuff now and you can go to them on line to order in bulk. Just look them up. Some pieces are best to rent like linens, fountains, vases, decorations, etc.

I've been a wedding and event planner for almost 23 years now. There are a lot of ways to have a fabulous looking wedding for very little money and it not look tacky. Oh, I also agree with efavor mart, but they are also on eBay and sometime get the same items listed for a lower price. (05/07/2010)

By Rinda Dye

Finding Inexpensive Weddings Supplies

I am planning a 25th anniversary celebration. So far I have bought vases for my centerpieces at Walmart $1 each. I bought flowers also at Walmart, I am doing purple carnations. They had them for $3 a bunch and there are 8 nice long stems on them. I am doing silver foil doilies instead of mirrors for the centerpieces. If you Google what you are looking for you will be able to find a web site for everything you need. If you are looking for table linens go to tableclothfactory.com.

Hope it's a start for you. Good luck. (05/12/2010)

By urs

Finding Inexpensive Weddings Supplies

As a silk wedding flower designer of over 10 years, here's a few tips for where to purchase and using silk flowers in your wedding. If you have the option buy your flowers in person so you can take a look at the quality and color, or check if the on-line provider will send or allow you to purchase a sample. (I do on every design or custom order I make). You can use slightly less quality blooms if you use them in mass. So for example carnations look great when used to make pomanders, and tier centerpieces with pomanders at the top.

Don't pay for stems, if you don't need them. If you are going to be cutting off the heads of the flowers to place in a Styrofoam insert, look for them in a bush. These are usually less expensive, with more flowers, and greenery you can use.

Crafts stores are your best bet, like Hobby Lobby (who also has an on-line store) or another great on-line shop is Save-on-Crafts. Dollar stores or discounters are fine, but check the quality first.

If you need any additional silk flower help just drop me a message. I am happy to answer any questions and I never charge for advice and ideas. Congratulations and I wish you continued success in your wedding planning. (05/15/2010)

By theflowerlady