Frugal Christmas Tips

With some though you can keep Christmas from becoming a financial burden. This is a guide about frugal Christmas tips.

Twas the day after Christmas when all through the mall
Not a shopper was stirring, they had all hit the wall
The stockings were empty, the trees were all bare
In hopes that the Visa bill, wouldn't be there.

The children were hyper, like too many meds
While candy cane sugar rush went to their heads
With mammas and daddys all feeling like crap
And everyone needing a post turkey nap.

To drive in the city seemed fraught with dangers
Cos the stores were all busy with present exchangers

"Half off it all" they screamed in the ad
And missing that sale would really be bad.

So into the cars we make the huge leap
And just like Black Friday, we run out like sheep
The car ads are frightening, tax time will be soon
With Androids and 4G, iPods and iTunes.

With the house a disaster and the carcass to clean
We'll have turkey hash till next Halloween
Decoration debris is scattered down halls
Cos the cat ate the tinsel and the dog ate the balls.

The games are all on and the guys wait for scores
Some will get cheers but some will get snores
The Santa's departed, the cheeks have been kissed
While granting the kiddies their long Christmas list.

We sit and we think "Wow! Another year gone"
Then we hear a noise somewhere out on the lawn
It's New Years partiers - now that's way too soon
It's not New Years Day - heck it's not even noon.

But all we can think of is this - with bereft

There's just 364 shopping days left!

Happy New Year Everyone!

Source: I wrote this on 12-26-11. I hope you all get a chuckle out of it!

By Sandi/Poor But Proud from Salem, OR

I was wrapping some last minute presents tonight and came up with these ideas. They won't get on before Christmas, but for next year and for non-holiday presents, this might help.

For the ornaments, just stick bows together and hang from your tree. Each one costs about 9 cents and can really give the tree some "bling".

The other tip is; if your present sticks up just enough to not be able to put in tissue paper and tie the handles, put one upside down inside another that is right side up. You get a nice flat surface to stick a bow and tag on, or you can use the tag that came with the bag.

Hope those help!

Source: Nope...just by accident and design.

Link: N/A

Top Comment

Good ideas! It's frustrating when your bag is just a bit too short, and I got around this once by just making a tent with tissue paper, but this is a good idea too. A lot of bows really are pretty enough to be ornaments, and I'm wondering why I never thought of doing that, myself! Thumbs up! (Even though this apparently isn't in a contest.)

Top Comment

Thanks! Sometimes I think of things but can't beat a deadline so I just share it then it goes on faster.

I have a friend, Samantha, that is having some money troubles and needed some help with Christmas. So, we dug around in my craft supplies and started to make some things for gifts. Getting together to work on her problem was good for the both of us, she gets a little help and cheering up and I get company and get to share my creative skills with her.

We made some simple stockings from felt. Felt is the best material to work with; it is easy to cut, needs no finishing for the edges, and is very inexpensive! I showed her some very simple stitches and she made two, cute little stockings.

We also made some ornaments from scraps of felt, floss, buttons, and snaps. I am also bartering with another friend that crochets ornaments; she likes to give gifts of the homemade dog biscuits that I make and Sam now has two more ornaments to give to her children.

To fill the stockings, Sam has gone to the dollar store with money that she earned helping me clean and has picked up small items like Chapstick, pencils, and notepads. She has wrapped each gift separately so it will take the kids time to open each thing and it makes it appear like they have gotten a lot of gifts!

The wrapping paper she made from regular loose leaf paper, but she used markers and using the lines for guides made a plaid design that looks festive.

We have a bag of popped corn that we are letting get good and stale; popcorn is easier to string when it isn't fresh! The kids are looking forward to stringing the popcorn after our "kid's craft" session that we made a garland from felt that is the same idea as the old-fashioned paper chain idea.

I played Christmas music while we were crafting and since I am a pretty silly person, I sang and acted goofy, the kids love when an adult acts so crazy! I dug fabric out of the scrap bag and made a patchwork doll quilt and pillow, and I have a piece of fabric big enough to make a doll outfit for Katrina's doll.

For Shawn, we made a pop bottle movie night! After washing out a 2-liter plastic pop bottle we cut a slit in the back, stuffed in shredded paper, one can of pop, some microwave popcorn, a bag of regular popcorn (because it is inexpensive and took up a lot of space in the pop bottle!) one candy bar, and a free pass that Sam made up on my computer to get a movie on dollar day from the local rental place. We tied some curling ribbon in a bow at the top. It came out so cute we may just have to make some more to give as gifts!

Sam also likes the "Santa Soap" idea that was shared by Cindy Bailey and she wants to make a few of those from dollar store items, we think the kids will love those!

Christmas dinner for her family will be here with me and my husband so she won't have to worry about that, and there is always too much food so there will be leftovers to take home. My husband and I have no children of our own and look forward to a big family meal! I have to admit that it won't be a very fancy Christmas, but so far, it has been a lot of fun.

I look forward to all the other posts that people share so I can continue to get ideas. Thank you to everyone for so generously sharing your ideas, tips, stories, and recipes!

By Persnickety Paula

Top Comment

Debbie, Since I am not very good at downloading patterns it didn't come out the correct size and will need to be enlarged. If you would like to email me with your address I will mail the full-size pattern to you.

The instructions are:
Materials:
Antique white plush felt
black felt for hat
orange felt for nose
fiberfill
red floss
2 small black buttons for eyes (We used snaps)
3-5 small snaps for mouth
5 assorted buttons for trim on hat and scarf
Thin strip of fabric for scarf (or use ribbon)

Cut front and back of snowman head from Antique white felt. Stitch face and back of head together and stuff with fiberfill. Cut hat front and back from black felt and stitch together using a blanket stitch with red floss. Sew or glue on buttons for eyes, snaps for mouth. Pinch fabric in center for scarf and glue to snowman's neck. Glue buttons at neck and on hat brim. Attach a pin back to snoman if making a pin, or make an ornament hanger from floss and stitch to hat.

There have been a lot of negative things going on in my life in the past couple of years (husband's job loss, two deaths in the family, a car accident that totaled our car, etc.!).