OrnamentsChristmas

Fused Plastic Straw Ornament

Vote for this contest contender!

This ornament is made from tiny pieces of plastic straws, fused together by the heat of an iron. When fusing plastics, wear a mask in a well ventilated area.

Total Time: 1 hour

Yield: 1 ornament

1. Tape down a few strips of tape, sticky side up, on a crafting work surface, piece of cardboard, or wooden board.
  2. Cut a bunch of little pieces of straw.
  3. Use your tweezers to lay the design you want to make on the sticky tape to hold them in place.
  4. As you go along, press down on the straw pieces firmly onto the tape.
  5. Heat your iron to the cotton setting. About every third row, put a piece of foil or parchment paper over all the straws and gently let the iron sit on top evenly. Check under the foil to make sure the straws have fused together.
  6. Keep making your way down, stopping to cover with foil and fuse.
  7. Add any last details (like my tree trunk here) and you're done fusing. Shut off the iron and move it away.
  8. Add a piece of string to the top and hang.

Adorable! That reminds me so much of those plastic beads you could put on a peg-board and fuse together with an iron. I got that for Christmas one year when I was little. :)

Thanks Holly! Funnily enough, I only saw those plastic beads for the first time in my life last year. I thought they were a new invention! Where have I been all these decades? :)