Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights

Category Lights
Hanging Christmas lights on the outside of your house can be quite a chore, especially if your home has more than one story. However, making your house look great for the holiday season is always worth the work. This is a guide about hanging outdoor Christmas lights.

Many of our outdoor shrubs have soft needles and branches. When decorating the shrubs with outdoor holiday lights, we pin the light cords to the branches using clothes pins. This helps to keep the lights from being blown off by strong winds and keeps the bulbs facing downward.

By Sandi from Mount Airy, MD

I am looking for materials to hang/hold Christmas lights outside. I need to hang up lights, but don't want to use a staple gun. What are other things you can use?

By Miranda from Whitesville, WV

Answers

You can buy special clips/hooks in the same department as they sell the lights, etc. Anyway that is where they are located in my WalMart.

Like redhatterb said, there are hooks/clips that you can buy and attach to the roof. They are also detachable, and I wouldn't leave them on all year because then they break and kind of ruin the roof or wherever you hang the lights. The kind I have are grey and unnoticeable, so it's good! Hope this helps!

Go to Lowe's, look at what they have or get some 1x1 lumber while there & some nails.Cut the lumber as long as you want it, put a nail in each one to hold the lights. If you have bushes hang the lights on top of them, good luck.

My husband used small brass hooks and screwed them into the wood along the roof. They don't seem to rust, as we left the hooks up for two years now. He got them at Lowes. Hope this helps.

On my old house I used the special clips but they were a pain to put up and take down every year. When I moved into my new house the previous owner had hooks along the roof. It's great they stay up all year long and it is so easy to attach the lights. If you wanted to put them on a railing or post not so sure what you could use. I always used a staple gun.