Making Bead and Sequin Ornaments

Category Ornaments
Beads and sequins together or separately can be used to make beautiful, sparkly ornaments. This is a guide about making bead and sequin ornaments.

These ornaments can be used any time of the year if you use different colors of beads and sequins and they are lots of fun to make!

Approximate Time: 1 hour per ornament

Instructions:

1. Put your supplies in this order:
    pins
    seed beads
    bugle beads
    rocaille beads
    sequins
    glue poured into an old flat lid (optional)
    Styrofoam ballSupplies arranged in order of usage with finished ornament at top.

2. First of all put a seed bead onto your straight pin, then a bugle bead, then a rocaille, and last of all the sequin.
  3. *If you want to make sure the pins stay in place well, put just the very tip of the pin into the glue, then stick into the Styrofoam ball.
  4. Ad

5. Continue this same procedure, making sure you overlap enough to completely cover the ball, so you don't see any of the Styrofoam.
  6. For hanging, place a length of thread on one of the pins with some glue to make sure it is secured well.

Note: The ornaments are also very pretty when used in an arrangement, wreath, or garland. For an arrangement use a skewer and either stick it right into the Styrofoam or wire the ornament to it, then place into your arrangement or carefully wire the ornaments to your wreath or garland.

By CDC from FL

My grandma made the most beautiful bead and sequin ornaments and they have always been my favorites on our tree. This year I attempted to recreate these stunning ornaments. These are great decorations and also make a wonderful gift.

Directions:

These are three basic steps you will use to make your bead and sequin ornament.

1. Take a pin and put beads on it. I used two beads of different colors, one green, one iridescent, I wouldn't exceed three beads depending on there size. You want enough pin to stick inside the ball so that it won't fall off easily.
  2. Ad

3. Put a sequin on the pin after the beads (I used one green sequin).
  4. Stick the pin, with the beads and sequin on it, into the foam ball.
  5. As you stick sequins into the ball, have them overlap slightly. Continue these steps until you have encircled the ball. Then Start another circle going around the ball the other direction so the circles cross. This creates four sections. Fill in each section with pins so that you can't see any of the white on the ball.

Creating The Hanger

Determine where you want the top of the ball to be. Use the ribbon to make a loop for the ornament to be hung by. Then attach the ribbon to the ball with pins that have the beads and sequin on it. I used three or four pins to secure the ribbon in place.

Variation:

If you do not want to cover the entire ball you can buy satin ball ornaments instead. Then you can decorate those with less bead a sequins and not worry about letting the white foam show through.

I know there have been similar posts about this, but I am proud of my ornament creations from a satin ball, sequins and pearls, and you can make these for next year still!

At Walmart a box of 50 assorted color satin balls was only $8, if it is too late to buy any on the after Christmas sale, buy some next year as soon as possible and make these while you watch TV. Great to pass out to co-workers, too!

By Linda from Oceanside, CA

I saw a tool, a long time ago, that pushes the pins, with a sequin, in to the ball. It had a wooden handle an some way to hold the pin I believe. Please help me, my hands and fingers don't do well pushing the pins in anymore. Thank you.

Susan

Answers

I would be willing to bet that a BIG craft store, Like Hobby Lobby, or Micheal's would know what it is. Not sure if you could find it on line, but a trip to this type store would probably help you locate it.
A good craft demo gal could find it.

I think a tool used by woodworkers (myself included) to countersink finishing nails would work great for that project. They are made of metal, usually with a rubber grip on the handle end, and the other end has a concave point. They come in a few different sizes, so what size you need would be based on the size of the pin head of your pins, I would think the smallest one. They are available in the tool department at any home improvement store such as Lowes or Home Depot and I think even Walmart has them in the paint and hardware section. Just ask for a "countersink" tool.

I have always used a needle nosed plier for this, because of the pointed tip on the plier, you can get the pin almost all the way in, if not all the way. Most people have a needle nose plier on hand.