Making Faux Books for Halloween

Category Decorations
Add a hand-painted papier-mache book to your Halloween decorations. You could add a spooky title. This is a guide about making faux books for Halloween.

I wanted a stack of old books as a prop with my Halloween decorations, but all of the ones I found were too expensive. Then I saw these at the craft store, they are actually boxes. They are perfect and easily customizable.

• paper mache book boxes
  • black paint
  • white paint
  • gold paint
  • paint brushes
  • clear coat, optional

1. Paint the outside of books (skipping the pages area and the spine details). Once the paint is dry, paint the inside of the box. I recommend doing 2 coats of paint.
  2. Paint the spine details with the gold paint.
  3. For the pages, I mixed white and gold paint together to give them an aged look.
  4. Stack your faux books and use them as part of your Halloween decorations. You can also store treats or small items in them too.