Making a Pirate Costume

Category Costumes
If your child wants to be a pirate this Halloween, you don't need to spend a lot of money buying one at the store. Use items that you already have at home or that can be found cheaply at the thrifty store. This is a guide about making a pirate costume.

This is a girl pirate costume. I used nearly all things I had in my closet or Halloween trunk, except for the striped tights (new) and the off white blouse (Goodwill). It's more fun to make a costume instead of buying one :)

Approximate Time: 15 minutes

Instructions:

The inspiration for this costume started with the ragged hem black skirt which I had in my closet. It looked perfect for a pirate. I got a pair of striped black and white tights. The buckled black boots had been in my costume trunk for years, worn in a variety of witch or goth costumes over the years. The ivory cotton blouse was a Goodwill find. It was the right shape and buttons up the front, which gave it an old fashioned look. I added a purple tank top that laces up the front but a vest or corset would have given a similar look.

I went through my costume jewelry and found a gold coin necklace and hoop earrings. I also had a red bandanna that has black curls attached. I had originally planned to braid or curl my blonde hair but the bandanna was easy and very pirate looking. I wore dark eyeliner and lipstick to bring out my features. My son had a belt that was originally intended for a MagicQuest wand, but it worked well as a holster for my pistol, which was an old cap gun. A sword or knife would have also been suitable. I didn't bother with an eyepatch or "hook" because I wanted to be comfortable.

When looking through different sites for ideas, one said something like, "As there were no women pirates that didn't just dress like men, you can wear whatever you like!" Take ideas from gypsy or tavern wench costumes, as long as it looks old fashioned. I'm planning on wearing this again and I might add a coin hip scarf, used in bellydancing, to give it a little more bling.

By Jess from Hillsboro, OR

Looking for inspiration for a DYI girl's pirate costume? Go to threadbanger's site at:

There are actually SEVERAL how-to's here: (1) a leather tricorn hat (2) a leather corset and (3) a puffy girl's pirate shirt. (You could also use these ideas for other costumes....)

Also look at www.threadbanger.com for instructions on a mummy costume!

By Pamphyila from Los Angeles, CA

I'm attending a pirate theme murder mystery dinner for Halloween and need some frugal ideas to go as a, well, pirate. There are already those who are going all the way with Capt. Bluebeard, etc... I just want to be an ordinary (cheap) swabby.

Jax from Portland, OR

Answers

Best Answer

You can also pin up a black felt wide-brimmed hat to make a tri-corn hat for the pirate. Really any big short, with a big belt (or rope) and an earring and dark pants with or without stockings - and shoes with a buckle (or boots) and maybe a period military jacket thrown on can make a pirate - Once I used an Avon bottle shaped like a gun of the time -but now you can find those things in the dollar store!

Best Answer

If you don't have the clothing items at home that some of the previous posts suggested , check your local thrift store, Salvation Army,Good Will......that way you won't be spending a lot of money and will still have an awesome costume!

Charli

Best Answer

I would add to the above suggestions:

Use ordinary rope as the belt to hold up your baggy pants

If you can't find buckle shoes, make your own buckles by covering a cardboard shape with aluminum foil

As a prop, a sword would also be good -- and again, you can make your own by cutting a shape from cardboard and covering with foil

Another good prop would be a "treasure chest" filled with costume jewelry and/or those foil-covered chocolates that look like gold coins

You can make a "treasure map" for a prop by dipping a piece of paper in tea, smearing it with ashes, etc, then carefully burning the edges (use a cigarette lighter or the burners on your stove)

One year my son went trick-or-treating as a pirate, and I safety-pinned a colorful parrot-shaped stuffed animal to his shoulder -- it was a huge hit!

Best Answer

Another good prop is a telescope -- paint a cardboard tube from a roll of paper towel, or carry a child's kaleidoscope.

Best Answer

If you can't think of how you should look then go online and look up pirate costumes. Take ideas from them and write them down. Then go around looking for the items you liked. But don't spend a fortune on this because it's only for halloween! :-)

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Everyone at the pirate party was dressed in costume including this little pirate. And he loved every minute of all the attention he was getting. He was even saying ARGGGG!

By Debra from Wildomar, CA

Baby in Pirate Costume

Comment Like this photo? 1